Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:25 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,634,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
The entire Word of Faith/Prosperity movement are false teachers. To see some of the strange doctrines that Joyce teaches, go here

Didn't I just explain that it has nothing to do with her being a woman? As a matter of fact, she's one of the people I followed loyally - for years - when I was involved with the Word of Faith movement. I volunteered at her conferences. So, for you to say what I quoted, as unfounded as it is, is nothing more than a childish tantrum.
This whole 25 minute rant is based on a 1991 booklet that Joyce wrote, and an obvious sermon that is at least that old if not older. Anything can be distorted, taken out of context and be formed to make someone look less than credible. This is outrageous to take something so minute, which by the way cannot be proven otherwise as to it's validity, and misconstrue it to form a complete opinion of someone's teaching as a whole.

I have never heard Joyce teach this, and I would venture to guess that is because she realized that it doesn't matter and now she focuses on what does matter-----bringing people to Christ. You say you used to attend a church with women pastors, but now you don't because you've "seen the light". So, Joyce can't change her way of thinking and teaching as well? Do YOU think exactly the same way now as you did 17 years ago?

Who can say that Jesus didn't spend time in hell during those three days? The whole premise of this nonsense is that she said during those three days Jesus went to hell for us and our sins and during that time He wasn't the Son of God. Did you take the time to research whether or not she retracted that statement? Did anyone take the time to really ask what she meant by that? Do you agree 100% with absolutely everything everyone says on this board? NOT HARDLY!!!!!

Maybe she meant to say He temporarily became nothing but sin completing the process of the death of sin? I mean, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill just to discredit someone's entire ministry-----how can someone see this as being Christ-like. This is judgment at it's highest, most arrogant form.

I still see this as nothing but the male persuasion's attempts to discredit women as having spiritual authority. You dig deep enough and far back enough, then you're always going to find something from someone's past to take out of context, distort and use to discredit them if that is the sole purpose.

I'm sure God would be thrilled that folks who call themselves Christians are spending their time discrediting people because of their own prejudices, rather than bringing people to Christ and not worrying about what others are doing. God will be the judge and jury if they are truly teaching something that is contrary to His Word.

It is so blatantly obvious that this has everything to do with sexism and elitism, and nothing to do with God.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:34 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,557,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
At the various CofC I have been a member of all I ever saw was the women teaching ss to the 1-6th grade..One time though I remember a group of women who returned from a womens retreat got in front of the congregation and thanked the men for allowing them to go You must be a member of the cofc that has been somewhat reformed by Max Lucado..He is a great evangelizer imo, and I have a collection of his books..

I am afraid I have never heard of Max Lucado , and I have been a member for 42 years, and worshipped in many congregations. The church of Christ that I am a member of has not been 'reformed' by anyone.
We do not have any need to get permission from the men/elders of our congregations to participate in any church associated activities.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Actually, I think Joyce Meyer considers herself to be a christian motivational speaker... something along those lines. She is not an evangelist. (per her)

How dare she commit her life to studying the Word and helping people???

That evil woman should get back in the kitchen where she belongs and make Dave a good dinner!

you will know them by their fruit!
Yes, how dare she!!!! Don't forget barefoot and pregnant, too!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
For the love of all in the world.. I didn't say you were hiding behind a veil and calling it scripture. I plainly said you are throwing out insults from scripture and then hiding behind that and saying "its not an insult .. its Gods word". There is a difference.

The use of that scripture within the context of the discussion.. was insulting. Calling somone ignorant.. a fool.. unstable.. blind.. in the midst of a discussion.. while using scripture.. (oh and thats exactly what was done).. is what I find so offensive. Not so much that you (and others) used scripture to hide behind.. but because nobody had the cajones to just say what you really felt like saying. Instead you are able to stand on your ivory tower and basically say "don't blame me.. God said it".. Its old.. its tired.. and its quite juvenile.

But again.. thats just my opinion.. I mean I'm the one who was alluded to as "harassing" someone on this board all the while the "harassee" is calling me ignorant and a fool. Yet I kept my mouth shut and said nothing of how ridiculous the statement was..

In the end.. its quite funny.
Once again, great post Big!!! Funny how them double standards just keep on coming!!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wait a minute.

While everybody trots out that passage from Corinthians, I'm always amazed how the mossbacks conveniently forget Paul's letter to the Romans:

Romans 16:1-2 - I want this letter to introduce to you Phoebe, our sister, a deacon of the Church at Cenchrea (one of the two ports of Corinth where this letter is believed to have been written). Please give her a Christian welcome, and any assistance with her work that she may need. She has herself been of great assistance to many, not excluding myself.

Now, according to Paul's letter to Timothy, there were only two church offices--Bishop and Deacon, the second of which functions in the same capacity as a priest or a pastor does today. So, the logic is that Phoebe not only served as head of a congregation at Cenchrea, but she's going to Rome in fulfillment of Paul's wishes, and he requests that the congregation does what she instructs of them.

Now, if Paul is so hesitant to have women serving as church leaders, then why does he send a woman to Rome, the most important city in the world at that time, to do his work?

And, while we're at it, if Paul is so deadset against women providing religious instructions, then why does he laud the daughters of Philip for their ability to teach and prophecy?
Great post also. Thanks for pointing this out. I see there has already been attempts at 'splainin this one away too.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,114,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I'm sure God would be thrilled that folks who call themselves Christians are spending their time discrediting people because of their own prejudices, rather than bringing people to Christ and not worrying about what others are doing. God will be the judge and jury if they are truly teaching something that is contrary to His Word.

It is so blatantly obvious that this has everything to do with sexism and elitism, and nothing to do with God.
The underlined sentence is exactly what you are doing and you can't even see it.

You see what you want to see. You're allowing your issues with male chauvinism to control and cloud your vision. That's understandable, but not right. When you disagree with people, you attack and name-call, along with unbelievers. There is no Christ-likeness or fruit of self-control in that.

And yes, God will be the Judge.

So, once again, and with finality, I leave the blind to lead the blind and shake the dust of this thread off my feet. All the scriptures that can be given, have been given. I don't add to them.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
The underlined sentence is exactly what you are doing and you can't even see it.

You see what you want to see. You're allowing your issues with male chauvinism to control and cloud your vision. That's understandable, but not right. When you disagree with people, you attack and name-call, along with unbelievers. There is no Christ-likeness or fruit of self-control in that.

And yes, God will be the Judge.

So, once again, and with finality, I leave the blind to lead the blind and shake the dust of this thread off my feet. All the scriptures that can be given, have been given. I don't add to them.
And once again, there's that "subtle insult by way of scripture reference" that BigThirsty spoke of. I no more attack and name call than you do. However, I do not beat around the bush and insinuate insults. I'm a woman who speaks her mind, clearly and decisively. THAT is what gets your goat. ttfn

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,288,160 times
God is not the author of confusion.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.