Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,571 times

Advertisements

I believe the church is the people of God, and not a building. There is an old song we used to sing in Children's choir (many, many years ago, LOL) that goes like this:

I am the church
You are the church
We are the church together
All who follow Jesus
All around the World
Yes we're the church together.

The church is NOT a building
The church is NOT a steeple
The church is not a resting place
The church is a people.

Refrain again. There are also more verses.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
I see it as speaking of a spiritual buildling, where each Christian is a part of the 'building' and we are all a 'temple' of God's. He does not dwell in temple's built with hands any longer, but in each member of His church.
I believe the church is the believer that gather together to worship the Lord in a building, home, wherever the Lord would gather His body to assemble to worship the Lord God by lifting, edifying, encouraging, teaching, speaking and praising in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another in the fear of God.
Through the power of His Holy Spirit to grow in the teachings of Jesus Christ the Head of the Body (Church) to further proclaim the gospel of the kingdom of God.

Colossians 1:18
He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.

Hebrews 12:23
To the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect.

Christ in his human nature, is the visible discovery of the invisible God, and he that hath seen Him hath seen the Father.
Let us adore these mysteries in humble faith, and behold the glory of the Lord in Christ Jesus.
He was born or begotten before all the creation, before any creature was made; which is the Scripture way of representing eternity, and by which the eternity of God is represented to us.
All things being created by Him, were created for him; being made by his power, they were made according to his pleasure, and for his praise and glory.
He not only created them all at first, but it is by the word of his power that they are upheld. Christ as Mediator is the Head of the body, the church; all grace and strength are from him; and the church is his body. All fulness dwells in him; a fulness of merit and righteousness, of strength and grace for us.

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 06-24-2008 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Back to the OP...
I think of Church as anywhere Christians meet. If I had to get technical about it, WE are the church, Christians that is.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

The OP wants to know what is the church, the building or believers.
So Tricky D what do you think that the building or the body of Christ is the church?
The scripture points to that the body of Christ is the true church and the building is the place where the true believers assemble to worship God... isn't it wonderful to know this?
How God's Holy Spirit will lead us to God and His truth.....because of Christ Jesus, His only begotten Son!
I'm so thankful for the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ and not just for me but for the whole world also....

Do hope many will find the peace of God through Jesus! John 3:16 is the answer to all!!

Blessings to you!!!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-25-2008 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
The church is the visible expression of the spiritual union of the saved with Christ and each other.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Is a church just about following a book (theory and / or philosophy) or is it about dealing with actual people? In a relationship it never is about the individual, but about the individual within a relationship. And like any relationship you do not have to agree with each other.

My point is that I do not need a building to worship God, nor do I need to agree with other people to worship God.
I worship God in every action I take.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-25-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by skbs Is a church just about following a book (theory and / or philosophy) or is it about dealing with actual people? In a relationship it never is about the individual, but about the individual within a relationship. And like any relationship you do not have to agree with each other.

My point is that I do not need a building to worship God, nor do I need to agree with other people to worship God.
I worship God in every action I take.
Then, that DOES pertain and make much more sense... thank you for clearing that up for me

Old 06-24-2008, 08:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
If you listen you will see when at a church service that the prieest /pastor ask that you pray for the sins of the church. A build of course can not sin.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by texdav
Quote:
A build of course can not sin.
True, but a building can be a waste of space.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by texdav True, but a building can be a waste of space.
Not where I live and it is snowing and/or raining quite often... it provides shelter so the community can gather together... not wasted space at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity