Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:11 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by PrinnyI don't mind talking, but not everyone is open for an open and honest debate.
Especially dishonest people don't like my way of debating.
Tricky, was that a jab at me?

If it was, it has nothing to do w/ you personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Why waste your energy? If you know they are irritated, angry, annoyed, looking for a fight... why go there? You are only aggitating things then... provoking... Most people like that are looking to cause a fight with you...not to talk it out- UNFORTUNATELY. I think you have the right idea... a mature discussion- but people are going to act like that most of the time they aren't mature enough to handle a discussion.
I guess it depends on the kind of people one would associate with.

The people I am around expect no less, so I expect to handle a situation in a adult way I suppose.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:14 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
This is my view on this... take it for whatever it's worth...

IMO, that phrase or passage is an exhortation to Christians to not hold grudges, seek revenge or hold on to bitterness towards someone who has wronged you. It does not mean become a doormat.

When it comes to lying I, as a Christian, do not tolerate lying and I call people on it. I don't play games and am not mean about it. I am polite and to the point and leave the attitude out of it as well. I do not think this goes against scripture.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
That is what I try to do but automatically people become defensive and, as I said before, label me as having an attitude. My sister says I should not say anything because it doesn't do any good, but I am sorry I refuse to be a mouse. I think people should stand up for their convictions if they truly believe what they feel is right. But then again, I know the Bible says "turn the other cheek." I am really struggling with this.

PG, I don't know how old you are, I'm 45. Life is way tooooo short.

Do you go to church? How do you guard your tongue?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by PG77
Quote:
I think people should stand up for their convictions if they truly believe what they feel is right.
Well, just believing that you are right is not enough, you must also have proof that you are right.
I mean if you are wrong, but believe that you are right, no one will agree with you and their claim that you have an attitude problem turns out to be true.
If you cannot admit to yourself that you might be wrong you might have a real problem, because what started as a discussion will only end up in a shouting contest.

Originally Posted by Prinny
Quote:
Tricky, was that a jab at me?
No, don't worry that was a jab at Greatday.
I don't know you well enough to say that you are dishonest or not.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:20 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

Originally Posted by skbs I'm happy that it works for you, but I'm not the kind of person who avoids confrontation.
I am not avoiding the confrontaion... I am just not going to let them pull me down to their level.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:21 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Well, one particular thing I am thinking about, I have a ton of evidence but it did no good. It was like beating my head against a wall.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by skbs
Quote:
I am just not going to let them pull me down to their level.
Everyone has their own way to dealing with confrontations.
I have no problem with the way I do it because it obviously works for me.
If it didn't I would have found another approach by now.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Well, one particular thing I am thinking about, I have a ton of evidence but it did no good. It was like beating my head against a wall.
Then why do it? Why put that much energy into it?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:26 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
PG, I don't know how old you are, I'm 45. Life is way tooooo short.

Do you go to church? How do you guard your tongue?
I am 48. I have went to church most of my life. At the present time, I do not attend a church because I am not sure which one to go to. However, as far as guarding my tongue, I am not nasty with anyone or use curse words I just honestly tell them about a situation, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity