Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:22 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times

Advertisements

Atheism isnt a choice?I chose to believe in Christ,i wasnt forced to.
You chose not to believe your choice.
I ll give you that, I wouldnt want to be a christian in a muslim country.
I would probably be thrown in prison or meet my Maker earlier than expected!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Atheism isnt a choice?
No, it isn't. Atheism is simply a lack of belief. Babies are born without belief. I am an atheist because I don't believe any religion. I was raised in a Christian home, but nothing I was told coming up sounded right. Not because I didn't want to believe it, but because I saw problems with it and couldn't accept something that I questioned day and night. I tried researching other religions and got the same results.
Quote:
I chose to believe in Christ,i wasnt forced to.
There is nothing wrong with that. Sadly, there are people from your side of the room who feel that everybody must believe what they believe. That's when the problems come about.
Quote:
I ll give you that, I wouldnt want to be a christian in a muslim country.
I would probably be thrown in prison or meet my Maker earlier than expected!
Ironically, the portrayal of many Muslim countries here in America are based off of anti-Muslim propaganda. The fundamentalists in the Middle East are just the dictators and rulers of the countries for the most part. And then there are the terrorist groups. The common Muslim citizens are nothing like the stereotype. In fact, it's highly unlikely for somebody to try to preach to you in a Muslim country.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:31 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
Its very hard being christian in the Middle-East unless you live in a few select..
Countries.I had a girlfriend from a muslim country and she went to church over here.
She was very afraid of muslims here finding out she was dating a christian.
There might be many people who wouldnt bother you if you are christian.
But it doesnt take many people to cause you problems if your religon is 2%.
Iraq Christians fled to Sweden and other countries.
Many people worldwide are killed for converting to christianity.(Iran one example)
Christian Churches are burned.
Lets not forget Hindu's and Buddhist made victims.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 13,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
The school is not allowed to favor any religion or make students believe in a certain religion.
And yet evolution is taught. Funny, that.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet you have no clue what the Big Bang is. Your post already proves it.
Why don't you share it with us. How did the Big Bang work?

Old 07-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
My original statement stands. If it said "In Allah" or "In Vishnu", Christians nationwide would be complaining along with the other people (including atheists) who aren't Muslims or Hindus.
This is what I love about atheists: they think their view is neutral. Sorry, but that simply isn't the case. Atheism comes with its own worldview and set of general moral laws, which of course reflect on society as a whole. The atheist wants his own worldview to be pushed upon the public, but he doesn't want to give the Christian the same opportunity. And yet it is the Christian who is the intolerant hypocrite.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:58 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
No, it isn't. Atheism is simply a lack of belief. Babies are born without belief. I am an atheist because I don't believe any religion. I was raised in a Christian home, but nothing I was told coming up sounded right. Not because I didn't want to believe it, but because I saw problems with it and couldn't accept something that I questioned day and night. I tried researching other religions and got the same results.
Actually.....Atheism is strictly denying the existence of God, a higher being, or the supernatural. It does not necessarily mean without religion. You are non-religious if you don't follow a religion, not necessarily Atheist. Buddhist are Atheists, but still religious, are they not?

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with that. Sadly, there are people from your side of the room who feel that everybody must believe what they believe. That's when the problems come about.
Likewise, there are others from the Atheist/Non-Religious side of the argument who do the exact same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Would add in the teaching of "creationism" in schools across the south...?
Well, if you want to falsify your claims, be my guest.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahwehisGod View Post
And yet evolution is taught. Funny, that.
Evolution is not connected to any religion. Not to mention, there is tons of evidence to support it.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Why don't you share it with us. How did the Big Bang work?
You're essentially telling me to explain calculus to somebody who doesn't understand basic math. If you don't have a basic understanding of physics and astronomy, you're not going to get it. Just like you wouldn't understand evolution if you don't know much about biology.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
This is what I love about atheists: they think their view is neutral.
Wrong. Their is no such thing as a neutral view. And removing religion from schools does not promote atheism. You can be religious and still be an atheist as Buddhists do not believe in any form of god. All it promotes is secularism, which is separation of church and state. Ex.
Atheism: One nation without a god/under no god/etc, indivisible.
Secularism: One nation, indivisible.
Obvious difference.
Quote:
Sorry, but that simply isn't the case. Atheism comes with its own worldview and set of general moral laws, which of course reflect on society as a whole.
*Laughs*

Sorry sir, but you are incorrect. Atheists have no similarities other than a lack of belief in a god. Just look at the atheist forum for yourself. You will see so many differences that it is impossible to put us all into one group (other than being atheists). And even people of the same religion aren't alike. There are many different sects of Christianity along with many Christians who think differently. If something like that can happen with organized religion, imagine the differences without it.
Quote:
The atheist wants his own worldview to be pushed upon the public, but he doesn't want to give the Christian the same opportunity.
Secularism and atheism aren't the same thing. Enough said.
Quote:
And yet it is the Christian who is the intolerant hypocrite.
There are many tolerant Christians who aren't hypocritical. You're not an atheist and you don't speak for any, so stop acting like you know their view of Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity