Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:43 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
But he said they will receive the greater damnation. I don't think it is a good idea to take scripture and reword it to fit a belief - I believe that we need to base our beliefs on the scriptures and what they actually say.

When Jesus prayed "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". Did he mean that?
Well, I agree we don't re-word the scriptures. Okay, so what is the 'lesser damnation' then? Because to me, I would say the 'greater damnation' is the death deserved by those who sin against the holy spirit. Death without hope of ressurection. And the 'lesser damnation' would therefore be the death of sinners who may or may not have 'practiced vile things' but who are worthy of the 'resurrection of judgement'.

That is the sense I make from the scriptures. And if you're going to believe the scriptures actually say, then you have to determine what theyre saying. I have never found a scripture that proves to me that anyone who dies (regardless of how evil they were) is still burning in some underworld.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Exactly, the are doubly guilty so they receive no hope of resurrection. If you believe in hellfire and you think this is referring to that, what is the 'lesser damnation'?
In scripture we are told that all are resurrcted both the just and unjust.

Everyone is judged by their deeds (intentions, thoughts, actions) I am wondering if the resurrection of the "damned" is resurrection to "life" from/out of judgement.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
In scripture we are told that all are resurrcted both the just and unjust.

Everyone is judged by their deeds (intentions, thoughts, actions) I am wondering if the resurrection of the "damned" is resurrection to "life" from/out of judgement.
There are some that will not be resurrected to judgment. The bible describes these as the ones who sin against the spirit. Matthew 12:31,32 states this and I believe those are the ones who receive the greater damnation.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well, I agree we don't re-word the scriptures. Okay, so what is the 'lesser damnation' then? Because to me, I would say the 'greater damnation' is the death deserved by those who sin against the holy spirit. Death without hope of ressurection. And the 'lesser damnation' would therefore be the death of sinners who may or may not have 'practiced vile things' but who are worthy of the 'resurrection of judgement'.

That is the sense I make from the scriptures. And if you're going to believe the scriptures actually say, then you have to determine what theyre saying. I have never found a scripture that proves to me that anyone who dies (regardless of how evil they were) is still burning in some underworld.
We are all sinners we will all die - the flesh is emnity against the spirit

We sin we die, the soul that sins dies - the spirit is life.

If we follow Christ (believe - have faith, be faithful) we keep the law in spirit. Judgement is not about only punishment. It is about decision

G2920
κρίσις
krisis
kree'-sis
(Subjectively or objectively, for or against); by extension a tribunal; by implication justice (specifically divine law): - accusation, condemnation, damnation, judgment.

John 11:25 -26 What does that mean?

Even though you are dead you will live and he who lives and believes (have faith, be faithful) will never die

Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
We are all sinners we will all die - the flesh is emnity against the spirit

We sin we die, the soul that sins dies - the spirit is life.

If we follow Christ (believe - have faith, be faithful) we keep the law in spirit. Judgement is not about only punishment. It is about decision

G2920
κρίσις
krisis
kree'-sis
(Subjectively or objectively, for or against); by extension a tribunal; by implication justice (specifically divine law): - accusation, condemnation, damnation, judgment.

John 11:25 -26 What does that mean?

Even though you are dead you will live and he who lives and believes (have faith, be faithful) will never die
Yes, we are in agreement.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
There are some that will not be resurrected to judgment. The bible describes these as the ones who sin against the spirit. Matthew 12:31,32 states this and I believe those are the ones who receive the greater damnation.
-
However John 5:28-29 Young's Literal Translation
'Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice,and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
-
'Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice,and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment.

Right, but do you think it makes sense that God will resurrect those who have no hope of staying alive? I don't believe so. That's what the everlasting judgement means to me.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
What is up with , "I do or don't believe", it's what the bible says.
Hi, evidently we don't all agree with what the Bible says or teaches on some subjects. For example, the Bible says that all will be reunited in Christ. But many don't agree that it says this. God bless.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
Good point, all who are in the tombs means all who are dead.

Quote:
Thus are we taught that through shame, confusion, and death, men are led to seek the Lord, and to know him as the one supreme, most-high Jehovah. "He turneth man to destruction and saith return ye children of men,"
God bless.

http://www.tentmaker.org/books/Spiri...20Judgment.htm

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-15-2008 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 PM

So does everlasting mean eternal or does it mean "age"

G165
αἰών
aiōn
ahee-ohn'
From the same as G104; properly an age; by extension perpetuity (also past); by implication the world; specifically (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future): - age, course, eternal, (for) ever (-more), [n-]ever, (beginning of the, while the) world (began, without end). Compare G5550.

Quote:
Right, but do you think it makes sense that God will resurrect those who have no hope of staying alive? I don't believe so. That's what the everlasting judgement means to me.
I don't think you are resurrected made alive to be judged - I think you are judge in the flesh then made alive in the spirit.

From my understand being made alive (resurrected) is all to do with the Spirit.

1Pe 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-15-2008 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity