Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,760 times

Advertisements

God is worthy of our love, trust, obedience and worship. Why? Because he is God. It is those very attributes that make him God which makes him worthy. I just wanted to list some of the characteristics of God, with supporting scriptures, and then see what everyone else can come up with. List the characteristic and the scripture that provides it. I believe by reminding ourselves of God's characteristics it can help further our understanding of God, thereby our need for him....

Characteristics of God:

JUST --

Deuteronomy 32:4 (NIV) He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

TRUTH --

Numbers 23:19 (NIV) God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

I Samuel 15:29 (NIV) He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change his mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
Hey Mams! Great idea!! I have to run out but I'll be thinking about this and what I can add later.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Great and needed thread, mams!

Here are some (yes, I'm cheating abit by using a topical online bible!)

Holy
Ex 15:11 Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?
1Sa 6:20 And the men of Bethshemesh said, Who is able to stand before this holy LORD God? and to whom shall he go up from us?
Ps 99:9 Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy.
Isa 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
Eze 39:7 So will I make my holy name known in the midst of my people Israel; and I will not let them pollute my holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, the Holy One in Israel.
Hab 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?
Re 4:8 ¶ And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
Re 15:4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.
All-knowing
1Sa 2:3 Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.
Ps 69:5 O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.
Ps 139:2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
Isa 40:28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
Da 2:22 He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.
Mt 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
1Co 3:20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
1Jo 3:20 ¶ For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

Good
Ps 25:8 ¶ Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.
Ps 33:5 He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD.
Ps 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
Ps 119:68 ¶ Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes.
Ps 145:7 They shall abundantly utter the memory of thy great goodness, and shall sing of thy righteousness.
Isa 63:7 ¶ I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the LORD, and the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he hath bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of his lovingkindnesses.
Jer 33:11 The voice of joy, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that shall say, Praise the LORD of hosts: for the LORD is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: and of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD. For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the LORD.
Na 1:7 The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.
Mt 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Ro 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
Ro 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:07 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,174,444 times
The Knowledge of the Holy - By: A.W. Tozer - Christianbook.com

Loved that book.

Self sufficiency
Self existence
Infinitude
Immutability
Omniscience
Wisdom
Omnipotence
Transcendence
Omnipresence
Faithfulness
Goodness
Justice
Mercy
Grace
Love
Holiness
Sovereignty
All without limit!! This will either strengthen our faith, or change it!

Last edited by little elmer; 10-29-2008 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: there was more!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM

Knowledge:

Proverbs 1:7 (NIV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Proverbs 1:22 (NIV) "How long will you simple ones [b] love your simple ways? How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?

Job 37:16 (NIV) Do you know how the clouds hang poised, those wonders of him who is perfect in knowledge?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:49 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,526 times
I love it that he is loooonnngsuffering with us! I appreciate his Mercy and Grace when we don't deserve it. That's love...

Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 PM

Righteous Judge:

Psalm 9:8 (NIV) He will judge the world in righteousness; he will govern the peoples with justice.

Psalm 82:8 (NIV) Rise up, O God, judge the earth, for all the nations are your inheritance.

Isaiah 3:13 (NIV) The LORD takes his place in court; he rises to judge the people.

Ezekiel 20:36 (NIV) As I judged your fathers in the desert of the land of Egypt, so I will judge you, declares the Sovereign LORD.

Revelation 6:9-10 (NIV) When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"

Whenever the character of God is discussed, it just simply amazes me how many forget this aspect of God. Yes, God is love. Yes, God is merciful and longsuffering.... BUT not for all eternity. There will come a day when we must answer for ourselves. It seems many like to gloss over this, becuase it is a disturbing thought and it upsets many, believer and non-believer alike. However, the above passages from both the OT and NT make it clear, we will all one day be judged by the Righteous Judge. I am thankful and praise God that I have Jesus as my advocate. How about you?

Last edited by mams1559; 10-31-2008 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: add'l thought

Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Yes we have Jesus as mediator, and he is the mediator for the whole world .....Jesus says

Jhn 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
Jhn 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all [men] unto me.

Is it limited mercy ...... then everlasting judgment

or judgement followed by mercy

I praise God that there will be judgement and mercy

Old 10-31-2008, 09:01 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Quote:
I love it that he is loooonnngsuffering with us! I appreciate his Mercy and Grace when we don't deserve it. That's love...

Quote:
Yes we have Jesus as mediator, and he is the mediator for the whole world .....Jesus says

Jhn 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
Jhn 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all [men] unto me.

Is it limited mercy ...... then everlasting judgment

or judgement followed by mercy

I praise God that there will be judgement and mercy
Amen.

God is agape love and God has no beginning or end. Love has no beginning or end. I do believe that God never stops loving, even those who may be against Him. Remember they are said to be lost, blind, held captive and I believe that the love, light, truth, mercy, justice, power of God will bring victory in reclaiming all for Him. I believe that God's mercy triumphs over judgment. God bless.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Loving John 3:16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity