Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:48 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times

Advertisements

BudinAk~how amazing. Don't you look back and then see how God works with each one of us on an individual level. God is so caring and his timing is always so perfect.
I had a girlfriend who was shared with several times. She said she was sitting on the steps of her house sort of mocking God. She finally said, "For me to believe you would have to prove yourself to me." A piece of paper blew into the yard and she was ticked that someone had littered. She got up and it was a page of the Bible...that was it, she surrendered.
I grew up going to church and Christian summer camps. But never really had turned my life over to Christ. I was in grad school and I went to hear Andre Kole who was a speaker with Campus Crusade. He used the verses from Romans 12:1-2. The part about "be not conformed to this world" is what got me. I thought I was a good person but was starting to run with the crowd and realized my "good works" were now not going to save me. Not that good works could but I didn't know that then. I just prayed the simple prayer. The first things I noticed was that went I read the Bible after that things just jumped off the page, before it was like a story book to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,494 times
I did not grow up in a christian home. In fact, I was taught that all christians were hypocrites. My family was into witchcraft and booze.

When I was 22 yrs old someone close to me overdosed and died. It was a dark time in my life. I started thinking about God and wondering about Him for the first time in my life. I did not even own a bible. I was driving down the road and I saw a yard sale. I stopped and looked around and there was a bible, so I bought it.

I went to my apartment complex where all the other tenants were druggies. I was reading this bible for the very first time in my life. A couple from next door stopped by wanting to party and they saw the bible. They didn't like the bible and said, "Why are you reading that? Get rid of it!"

As I continued to search for the meaning of things happening in my life and the death of my friend, strange things began to happen. Within a short time the company I worked for hired two christians that worked next to me. Looking back now, I see what God was doing. Because I was seeking, He sent someone to help me. This is how I met Jesus. The best thing that ever happened to me.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:56 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
sandgirl, that is an amazing story; thanks for sharing.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
I recognized there was a God from the time I was a small child. I saw Him in the beauty of His creation....the heavens, the flowers, and all of nature. I found a small Bible in a drawer in my parents bedroom. I hid and read it. The Book of Revelation almost scared me silly, but when I was grown, and obeyed the gospel I saw that it is not scary at all. It is merely pointing out that evil will be defeated, and the righteous will prevail.
So, in answer to the OP's question...I met God when I was out in the neighbor's meadow picking wildflowers..as a small girl. I was 33 years old before I was moved to put Christ on in baptism, and become a member of the church. Thank God I was placed in a place where I heard the word of God preached in it's purity, and it pricked my heart!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:32 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Like Shanna I learned about God from my parents, mostly my mother. I was baptized at nine, but later in my 20's drifted away for 16, then the Lord brought me to back to my knees when I discovered my then boyfriend was married! But it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. This may be the first time I have posted this on City Data, it is so personal to me, but this brought me back to God where I have stayed ever since.

Thanks blue, she just reminded me of how the Lord has bless me a thousand times over with the "best husband in the world"

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 10-30-2008 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Like Shanna I learned about God from my parents, mostly my mother. I was baptized at nine, but later in my 20's drifted away for 16, then the Lord brought me to back to my knees when I discovered my then boyfriend was married! But it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. This may be the first time I have posted this on City Data, it is so personal to me, but this brought me back to God where I have stayed ever since.
I have to spread some rep around and blah blah, but I'm glad you're happy now, ILNC. You're a kindly person who deserves happiness.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:50 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Biloxi, Mississippi, 1968. I was a fairly new recruit in the Air Force, stationed there during the Vietnam War. I just absolutely despised and hated the military and everything about it. One day I decided I was going to do something really drastic...to get me booted out of the AF. I spent the morning walking the sidewalks on base, plotting and scheming. After several hours of this, I had came up with nothing, except stupid stuff that would likely land me in jail. This gave me a very sad and hopeless feeling. Out of desperation, I blurted out "God...help me!"
About 60 seconds later I found myself walking into this building on base, no special reason, it was just "somewhere to go, and something to do". I saw some stairs going up, so I went up them, where I found the upper story opened into a lounge, with tables, chairs, pop machines, etc where people could rest, read, etc. There were two guys standing there, both holding Bibles. Both immediately came over to me and said "hi...I'm Sgt so-and-so, and this is Sgt so-and-so. Would you like to hear about God, and the plan of salvation?" I said "uh...ok". Might as well....as nothing else was going right in my life. Besides, they were both Staff Sgt's...way higher rank than me, a lowly Airman...perhaps I should listen...
Yep...after a while those two guys led me in a prayer, and I became a Christian. From that moment on my life was forever changed and different.
I managed to stick it out in the AF, serving the rest of my enlistment...but I still didn't like it. Why did I enlist in the first place? Well...back home I had recieved this little letter in the mail from Uncle Sam: "Greetings. You are hereby ORDERED to appear for induction into the United States Armed Forces. You are to appear at such-and-such location, on such-and-such date, etc, etc, etc. I was being drafted. Bummer! I decided to enlist in the AF, rather than get drafted, most likely into the army, and then get used "for a target" in 'Nam...
But....God had used all those events that followed to steer me to Christ. His ways are beyond our comprehension...

Bud
His ways are higher than ours that is for sure

Old 10-31-2008, 06:50 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
These have got to be some of the most beautiful and moving words June has yet to read on this or any forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post

Many many years ago a cold, hungry little girl whose mother had just told a bedtime story, and sang a song about Jesus, made a childish attempt full of faith for a little warmth for herself and her brother and sisters, and her prayer was answered..The little girl was myself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post

I had a break down, I came to the end of myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post

I found a small Bible in a drawer in my parents bedroom. I hid and read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post

On her death bed when me and my mother looked into her eyes, she opened both of them slightly. Then, she began to cry.

Thank you from June's heart.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times
These are all so great. Isn't God an awsome God that he knows right where we are and just pulls us to him each with our own special circumstances. It is so amazing to look back and then see how God worked in our lives.
ps. I couldn't rep you either ILNC...but that's great!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:07 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

I discovered my then boyfriend was married! This may be the first time I have posted this on City Data, it is so personal to me, but this brought me back to God where I have stayed ever since.

"Personal" to you, but "integrity" to June.

You are a lady of courage and integrity, ILNC.

Take gentle courageous care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity