Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:00 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,500 times

Advertisements

SO we spend a lot of time on these threads debating and for a change of pace, why don't we talk about what did work! How did you meet God, was it at a Church, in the mountains, at a best friends house......? Who and what did God use to get your attention? Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
God met me at my baptism in Feb, 1976 and has been drawing me toward him ever since.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Many many years ago a cold, hungry little girl whose mother had just told a bedtime story, and sang a song about Jesus, made a childish attempt full of faith for a little warmth for herself and her brother and sisters, and her prayer was answered..The little girl was myself..

Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Hi, I learned about God from the faith of my mother. She did not force me but her life was a life of simple faith and trust in the Lord and it influenced mine. I became a follower of Jesus in my teenage years when I was going through painful experiences. In these experiences I turned to the Lord and asked for His help and He delivered me. God bless.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:53 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,860 times
I had a break down, I came to the end of myself.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I first met God in 1955 when water was splashed rather ceremoniously on my forehead [but I don't remember that] and grew up in the Church.

I have had a few "experiences" in my life I attribute to God, other than feeling his presence at Communion.

One was unexplainable to me - I was against a wall with a knife against my throat [rapist] and I dove through bushes to escape and wound up headfirst down a two story stairwell - I had the sensation of my legs being grabbed and breaking my fall and lowering me to the ground. Later, when I went back to the site - I saw that the thickness of the bush hedge was about 8 feet wide and it would have been impossible for the rapist's hands to have done the holding.

The other was when I was riding a bicyle and a deer leapt out and ran right along my bicycle with me for about 100 yards and ran off. Don't ask me why but it was a spiritual experience - another was standing on a mountain in the Rockies and feeling the wind on my face - just an overwhelming sense.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:01 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, I learned about God from the faith of my mother. She did not force me but her life was a life of simple faith and trust in the Lord and it influenced mine. I became a follower of Jesus in my teenage years when I was going through painful experiences. In these experiences I turned to the Lord and asked for His help and He delivered me. God bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
I had a break down, I came to the end of myself.
Combine these sisters' testimonies with mine. My mom (was) the closest thing to Jesus that a lot of people say they'd ever seen. Quiet and unassuming, after she passed I stood at the end of her bed and - after standing at the straightest attention I could muster - saluted the warrior that had finally made it home.

Last edited by little elmer; 10-30-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-30-2008, 04:24 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Biloxi, Mississippi, 1968. I was a fairly new recruit in the Air Force, stationed there during the Vietnam War. I just absolutely despised and hated the military and everything about it. One day I decided I was going to do something really drastic...to get me booted out of the AF. I spent the morning walking the sidewalks on base, plotting and scheming. After several hours of this, I had came up with nothing, except stupid stuff that would likely land me in jail. This gave me a very sad and hopeless feeling. Out of desperation, I blurted out "God...help me!"
About 60 seconds later I found myself walking into this building on base, no special reason, it was just "somewhere to go, and something to do". I saw some stairs going up, so I went up them, where I found the upper story opened into a lounge, with tables, chairs, pop machines, etc where people could rest, read, etc. There were two guys standing there, both holding Bibles. Both immediately came over to me and said "hi...I'm Sgt so-and-so, and this is Sgt so-and-so. Would you like to hear about God, and the plan of salvation?" I said "uh...ok". Might as well....as nothing else was going right in my life. Besides, they were both Staff Sgt's...way higher rank than me, a lowly Airman...perhaps I should listen...
Yep...after a while those two guys led me in a prayer, and I became a Christian. From that moment on my life was forever changed and different.
I managed to stick it out in the AF, serving the rest of my enlistment...but I still didn't like it. Why did I enlist in the first place? Well...back home I had recieved this little letter in the mail from Uncle Sam: "Greetings. You are hereby ORDERED to appear for induction into the United States Armed Forces. You are to appear at such-and-such location, on such-and-such date, etc, etc, etc. I was being drafted. Bummer! I decided to enlist in the AF, rather than get drafted, most likely into the army, and then get used "for a target" in 'Nam...
But....God had used all those events that followed to steer me to Christ. His ways are beyond our comprehension...

Bud

Old 10-30-2008, 04:34 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Biloxi, Mississippi, 1968. I was a fairly new recruit in the Air Force, stationed there during the Vietnam War. I just absolutely despised and hated the military and everything about it. One day I decided I was going to do something really drastic...to get me booted out of the AF. I spent the morning walking the sidewalks on base, plotting and scheming. After several hours of this, I had came up with nothing, except stupid stuff that would likely land me in jail. This gave me a very sad and hopeless feeling. Out of desperation, I blurted out "God...help me!"
About 60 seconds later I found myself walking into this building on base, no special reason, it was just "somewhere to go, and something to do". I saw some stairs going up, so I went up them, where I found the upper story opened into a lounge, with tables, chairs, pop machines, etc where people could rest, read, etc. There were two guys standing there, both holding Bibles. Both immediately came over to me and said "hi...I'm Sgt so-and-so, and this is Sgt so-and-so. Would you like to hear about God, and the plan of salvation?" I said "uh...ok". Might as well....as nothing else was going right in my life. Besides, they were both Staff Sgt's...way higher rank than me, a lowly Airman...perhaps I should listen...
Yep...after a while those two guys led me in a prayer, and I became a Christian. From that moment on my life was forever changed and different.
I managed to stick it out in the AF, serving the rest of my enlistment...but I still didn't like it. Why did I enlist in the first place? Well...back home I had recieved this little letter in the mail from Uncle Sam: "Greetings. You are hereby ORDERED to appear for induction into the United States Armed Forces. You are to appear at such-and-such location, on such-and-such date, etc, etc, etc. I was being drafted. Bummer! I decided to enlist in the AF, rather than get drafted, most likely into the army, and then get used "for a target" in 'Nam...
But....God had used all those events that followed to steer me to Christ. His ways are beyond our comprehension...

Bud
Great story Bud! Thanks!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times
My grandmother lived a God-fearing life and her entire life was dedicated to God. She was the sweetest woman I ever knew. One day she got really sick, and before anyone knew anything she collapsed, and her heart stopped pumping blood for ten minutes. When she was resuscitated, she was clinically brain dead. A week later my family came down to Texas, we were scheduled for a visit anyway. I was an atheist at this point. I was upset, so upset I cried every day and I didn't know what to do.

On her death bed when me and my mother looked into her eyes, she opened both of them slightly. Remember, she was brain dead. Then, she began to cry. It was at that moment that I realized something powerful was going on. My mom, who is an atheist, described it to me as her brain producing random actions and that she can't control them. But she looked directly at us. I think it was because she lived such a good life, that God allowed her to look at her grandchildren and her daughter in law one last time before she died. That night, she did die. And you know what? As sad as I was, I was happy at the same time, because I realized that she was in God's hands. I was happy for her, happy that she was where she always wanted to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity