Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:23 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times

Advertisements

that sounds nice and good but obedience is better than a sacrifice

money to give to the church SHOULD NOT BE TITHES
the bible teaches the complete opposite.

offerings are supposed to keep the church running.

the bible SPECIFICALLY tells you what to do with tithes
if you do what YOU want or what the PASTOR wants then you're not paying tithes. You're paying offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Yes, I do both and let me tell you how much I have seen an increase from tithing. I see tithing as a way to show God that you trust Him with your money, and if you are under a covering of a church, the church does not run on water. It takes money to keep the church up and things to work.

I feel that people are so selfish with their money, when they sit in church everday or when they are at church, eat, rely on the Pastor to give them a word from God, and many other things and not give your tithe to help keep up the building that they sit in every sunday or bible study meetings.

I see my tithe and offering as a seed to help in my church and I love helping. My Pastor is a man of God who works hard, but it is not his responsibility alone to keep things working in the church when it comes down to finances. It is also my responbility to pay my tithe and offering.

I don't worship money, I worship the person that owns the money and God owns everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
I tithe and keep the Sabbath. By obeying God, it has made my life more peaceful and more fruitful. By fruitful I mean that I have no feelings of uncertainty for I surrendered my will to HIS upon baptism. By the way I am LDS, so I don't drink ,smoke, drink coffee or tea, etc. I have not always been LDS and have found that by following the tithing and sabbath commandments, the LORD has blessed me by giving me my hearts desires. GOD does not break HIS promises. I love to keep HIS commandments to the best of my ability.

EDIT: By hearts desires I mean a loving family, kind, obedient, talented, smart children, a good job, a wonderful home to live in, a wonderful husband who fears and loves GOD and is a great example to his children, and so much more that money can't buy.

Last edited by CTR36; 03-21-2009 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-21-2009, 04:57 PM

298 posts, read 716,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I tithe and keep the Sabbath. By obeying God, it has made my life more peaceful and more fruitful. By fruitful I mean that I have no feelings of uncertainty for I surrendered my will to HIS upon baptism. By the way I am LDS, so I don't drink ,smoke, drink coffee or tea, etc. I have not always been LDS and have found that by following the tithing and sabbath commandments, the LORD has blessed me by giving me my hearts desires. GOD does not break HIS promises. I love to keep HIS commandments to the best of my ability.

EDIT: By hearts desires I mean a loving family, kind, obedient, talented, smart children, a good job, a wonderful home to live in, a wonderful husband who fears and loves GOD and is a great example to his children, and so much more that money can't buy.
God does not break His promises, so the important question here is what does He mean when He says He will grant the desires of our heart. Not everyone who follows God's will gets all of the nice things you mention. That's not what God has promised us. God gives us our hearts desires as we desire what is in His will for us. That may or may not include a peaceful life. Look at the disciples and they way they lived and died.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:11 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post

As a LDS, how do you keep "the Sabbath"? I have never known a LDS to "keep the Sabbath". My understanding is that LDS "keep a Sabbath". There is a difference. Please explain. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM
JLA

Abraham gave a tithe and no Law was written yet. How was that possible, if tithing and Sabbath observance is strictly by the Law? Also, the Israelites were told to keep the Sabbath before God wrote it down in stone. Why would He do that? Why would God start the forth commandment with the word "Remember", if His intentions were to abolish it? By the way, I'm still searching the New Testament for the scripture/s where God changed His mind and deleted the Sabbath commandment from the the Ten, I can't seem to find one in my NIV, KJV, NKJV or RSV bibles. Maybe it's in the Greek. Can some one please help. Only a thus saith the LORD will suffice.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:44 PM

298 posts, read 716,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Abraham gave a tithe and no Law was written yet.
Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek and then gave the other 90% back to the people the spoils were taken from. This is in no way the tithe that was later given as law to the Israelites. Abraham never "tithed" (ie gave a tenth of his increase) anywhere in the Bible.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek and then gave the other 90% back to the people the spoils were taken from. This is in no way the tithe that was later given as law to the Israelites. Abraham never "tithed" (ie gave a tenth of his increase) anywhere in the Bible.
However you would like to figure it. Abraham gave a tithe of his increase, whether it was the spoils of battle or the toils of the husbandry. It was indeed an increase, if he did not have it before, then his net worth increased and he did what was required by God, give a tithe to the high priest. God instructed the Israelites to give a tithe/tenth to the Levitical priesthood. And the purpose of the tithe was to support the ministry. So, until I can find a scriptural reference in the New Testament; a "Thus Saith the LORD" that says otherwise, I will by love and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ continue to give a tithe and an offering to support the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
the tithe was supposed to be given to the levitical every 3 years...not every year.

the purpose of the tithe was NOT to support the ministry

that is not biblical

What you're writing is what you been taught or what you hear

let's read what the Word of God says

22Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

23And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
28At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: 29And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

1. the tithe was supposed to be for FOOD not payment to the electric bill of the church or the pastor's car payment
2. the tithe was supposed to be EATEN BY YOU!
3. every 3 years you were supposed to invite the Levite and others.

This is the Word of God
Are you going to tell me you're better than God's word because you came up with YOUR OWN way of using the tithe?

Quote:
However you would like to figure it. Abraham gave a tithe of his increase, whether it was the spoils of battle or the toils of the husbandry. It was indeed an increase, if he did not have it before, then his net worth increased and he did what was required by God, give a tithe to the high priest. God instructed the Israelites to give a tithe/tenth to the Levitical priesthood. And the purpose of the tithe was to support the ministry. So, until I can find a scriptural reference in the New Testament; a "Thus Saith the LORD" that says otherwise, I will by love and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ continue to give a tithe and an offering to support the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
As a LDS, how do you keep "the Sabbath"? I have never known a LDS to "keep the Sabbath". My understanding is that LDS "keep a Sabbath". There is a difference. Please explain. Thanks in advance.
Your question is confusing...

Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
God does not break His promises, so the important question here is what does He mean when He says He will grant the desires of our heart. Not everyone who follows God's will gets all of the nice things you mention. That's not what God has promised us. God gives us our hearts desires as we desire what is in His will for us. That may or may not include a peaceful life. Look at the disciples and they way they lived and died.
This is EXACTLY what I am talking about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity