Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times

Advertisements

I am a member of an United Methodist Church. Congregation is fairly small, averages about 50-60 members a Sunday. My problem is that none of the members are tithing. Out of the members, I would say that there are 6-8 members who are consistent tithers. The reason I am complaining is because of the lack of consistent tithers, our church bills are beginning to fall behind....We are basically having to rob Peter to pay Paul to pay bills.....Now I know that we are living in dire economic times but what does Malachi 3:10 say. Also I hate to say it...but I also think our members will not pay because our current pastor is very well off. But as a congregation, we should not be envious and jealous because the pastor is well off... I know you can't give what you dont have...but come on $5 from a grown adult every Sunday....I mean you can do better than that. Don't members know that blessings are being blocked.....As a single person, I give a 10th of my paycheck everytime I get paid and I have to say Im better off now than before when I wasnt tithing......You have to trust him....Please chime in on this dilemma and thank you for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
I don't think this belongs here. It should go in the Christianity section.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
Tithing is no longer something we must do. Not even the jews tithe anymore. There is no temple for the tithe. The command to tithe was very specific for the jewish people only. There were several tithes that a person had to give, not just 10%. Not even jesus tithed, he was a carpenter. Paul either, he was a tentmaker.
But if a person gives from their heart that is where the treasure lies. If a person tithes because they have a heart to do so God will bless. If a person tithes becasue they think God will owe them a favor and be cursed if they dont tithe, then the person is already cursed under the law.
With that said, there sure are many cheap people that go to churches. I think many dont give because they feel that a pastor will keep it. You really can blame a person for thinking that because all the garbage these TV preachers do. The best thing churches need to do is make every penny visible on the church internet page. receipts and all. maybe people will begin to trust the average pastor. Many churches also are trying to keep up with the joneses, they want better sound system, better mic, better etc.....,
Well, that is my take on it. I am not trying to open a debate on whether the tithe in mandatory, i use to tithe until i began a study on every word that mentions tithing, then i realized that it is not for believers today.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Yeah, what does Malachi 3:10 say?

I think folk have wizened up to the fact that it is BS and for a time when farmers and not city dwellers brought tithes in the form of grain etc.

Churches should simply work out a system and send the members subs invoices. It is after all a "bless me club" is it not?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I am a member of an United Methodist Church. Congregation is fairly small, averages about 50-60 members a Sunday. My problem is that none of the members are tithing. Out of the members, I would say that there are 6-8 members who are consistent tithers. The reason I am complaining is because of the lack of consistent tithers, our church bills are beginning to fall behind....We are basically having to rob Peter to pay Paul to pay bills.....
Never mind ...the lord will provide eh!

"And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, ..............."
Philippians 4:19

So send the bills to your god....or perhaps you don't believe what your Bible says huh?

Quote:
Also I hate to say it...but I also think our members will not pay because our current pastor is very well off.
Doesn't surprise me! He's probably pocketing the money that is coming in. That's why he's rich. you're poor and the bills are not being paid.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times
Quote:
I am a member of an United Methodist Church. Congregation is fairly small, averages about 50-60 members a Sunday. My problem is that none of the members are tithing. Out of the members, I would say that there are 6-8 members who are consistent tithers. The reason I am complaining is because of the lack of consistent tithers, our church bills are beginning to fall behind....We are basically having to rob Peter to pay Paul to pay bills.....Now I know that we are living in dire economic times but what does Malachi 3:10 say. Also I hate to say it...but I also think our members will not pay because our current pastor is very well off. But as a congregation, we should not be envious and jealous because the pastor is well off... I know you can't give what you dont have...but come on $5 from a grown adult every Sunday....I mean you can do better than that. Don't members know that blessings are being blocked.....As a single person, I give a 10th of my paycheck everytime I get paid and I have to say Im better off now than before when I wasnt tithing......You have to trust him....Please chime in on this dilemma and thank you for letting me vent.
What happened to "god will provide"? Another myth huh?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM

35 posts, read 45,665 times
Mal 3:8-11 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

Some people may argue that this is not for us today, but that will mean that none of what the Bible says should matter to us today. It is all about faith and how you receive the word of God as written in the Bible.
You have witnessed how poor and poorer your members are becoming because the Bible says, those who don't pay tithes and give offerings are cursed with a curse. He will not rebuke the devourer that causes poverty from their midst. The members must be taught on tithing extensively to build their faith and remove the idea that the tithes go into the pastor's pockets. Even if it does, he is part of the church expenses unless he is a volunteer preacher.

The Bible commands that tithes should be brought so that there will be meat in the storehouse... have you considered who will eat the meat? God? No the pastor! If you have a problem with the pastor concerning that, don't worry God will deal with it.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Yeah but the windows of heaven never opened up. It really boils down to you are what you are b/c of your own efforts and/or good luck. The church suggests this is b/c you are blesses from above and now must in effect pay a commission.

Been there done that, still waiting for the $3M in tenfold returns. Had I invested the $300k in property back then, I would be sitting pretty today in spite of the housing crash, back then that would have bought me at least 5-6 houses and renting them out would yield in today's terms an income of $30k per month in rentals OR I would have made a real ten fold ROI and been living off the interest. Do the math.

God's lottery is a scam of the highest order.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
I completely agree with you, but many are not going to understand. The tighter we hold onto our money, the more we limit our prosperity, that is very true. I would say pray about it, but I am sure you're doing that already.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Many Christians do give 10% to their church, but Christian teaching is to good stewards of your money and income, with cheerful giving to the poor. Not to give a set percentage every week to a man made body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity