Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

The Tithe was an Old Testament law. Christians are new Testament people. Tithe is not required.

2Co 9:7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

In fact, when you judge other peoples stewardship, you are judging your fellow man. So that puts you in the wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
As many stated before there is no set amount to give, but rather giving cheerfully from the heart, but if someone can afford to give and chooses not to give anything, i think thats where they will come under judgement to God. He only blessed you with a income when millions dont have a job and put a room over your head, the least you can do is give a offering to thank him with a portion of what he has already given you. But the prosperity gospel being preached right now that foucses on your wealth more than salvation where people are more giving to receive a blessing in return than giving from the heart is sad.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I struggle with this... I would love to give 10% each and every week... but then what would I NOT pay? We go without all the extras - but I don't consider the mortgage, electricity, food, etc "extras".

It's hard to take that leap... especially when you're already fighting disconnection notices each month.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I am a member of an United Methodist Church. Congregation is fairly small, averages about 50-60 members a Sunday. My problem is that none of the members are tithing. Out of the members, I would say that there are 6-8 members who are consistent tithers. The reason I am complaining is because of the lack of consistent tithers, our church bills are beginning to fall behind....We are basically having to rob Peter to pay Paul to pay bills.....Now I know that we are living in dire economic times but what does Malachi 3:10 say. Also I hate to say it...but I also think our members will not pay because our current pastor is very well off. But as a congregation, we should not be envious and jealous because the pastor is well off... I know you can't give what you dont have...but come on $5 from a grown adult every Sunday....I mean you can do better than that. Don't members know that blessings are being blocked.....As a single person, I give a 10th of my paycheck everytime I get paid and I have to say Im better off now than before when I wasnt tithing......You have to trust him....Please chime in on this dilemma and thank you for letting me vent.
Thier NON-tything indicates :

1. Their willful disobedience to Gods command to tythe to the Church Body.
2. Their propensity of making money their Idol by not wanting to financially support the local CHurch Building needs/salaries/and needs within the local Body of Believers.
3. Thier possible ignorance to what God expects from us where our money is involved.
4. A spirit of apathy.
5. Their expectation of Others to carry the finanical load without their cooperation.

It will result in God being displeased with such people due to willful disobedience and/or a could care less attitude. The Pastor of the CHurch needs to have a real heart-to-heart talk from the Pulpit to the Church Body on what God expects from us, and, the various bills that the Church sees regularly and their amounts. There needs to be a little bit more than just a gentle plea from the Pastor at getting this all too common issue resolved . The Christian Church is a business involving alot of things to alot of people....with the most important thing being to work toward seeing Souls be forgiven and saved for eternity --- and like any other Business, it requires a steady flow of income for it to operate effectively.

Even secular Organizations such as American Atheist Association and Humanist Organizations depend on regular financial contributions from their constituency to further their agenda , etc...

Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I struggle with this... I would love to give 10% each and every week... but then what would I NOT pay? We go without all the extras - but I don't consider the mortgage, electricity, food, etc "extras".

It's hard to take that leap... especially when you're already fighting disconnection notices each month.
Yes. The Church would rather see you evicted and living on the streets than miss out on their cash. Then, when you are on the streets, they can give you a bowl of watery soup and tell you how wonderful 'God' is and how he will attend to your needs.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Even secular Organizations such as American Atheist Association and Humanist Organizations depend on regular financial contributions from their constituency to further their agenda , etc...
...but they don't threaten you with eternal torture if you don't give anything.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Is your church being honest about its income and expenses? Are your books open? Have you even shared with the congregation the fact that income does not meet expenses? Do the congregants know what their money is being spent on?

If you don't ask, you don't receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
when you judge other peoples stewardship, you are judging your fellow man.
Agreed. Tithing -- in its very traditional and strict definition -- is a very un-Christianlike way of asking people to contribute toward their church community.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...(American Atheist Association) but they don't threaten you with eternal torture if you don't give anything.
Niether does the church i attend , or any of the many churches ive visited (probably over 150) where ive heard a message on tithing over the years .

Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes. The Church would rather see you evicted and living on the streets than miss out on their cash. Then, when you are on the streets, they can give you a bowl of watery soup and tell you how wonderful 'God' is and how he will attend to your needs.
Can u tell us about the hostility you have toward Christian Churches and the bad experience you must have had at one of them ? Can u share how youve acquired a very unsavory personality since becoming a Critic/Atheist/Agnostic ? thanks .

Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Niether does the church i attend , or any of the many churches ive visited (probably over 150) where ive heard a message on tithing over the years .
....and what happens to you if you show (in your own words) .... "willful disobedience to Gods command"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity