Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:32 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,554,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I doubt it......God knew what was going to happen, therefore He willed it. Most denominations agree on the essentials and we wrangle through the non-essentials, that is ok. This is ALL part of His plan.

You are correct that Jesus knew what would happen...why else did He say," when I come again will I find faith upon the earth? " ?

But He certainly did not, and does not, approve of all the denominations. He prayed fervently that "All would be one"! Elsewhere it is written that all are to be of one mind!

Yes, it has not happened, and neither was He spared the cross...but He knew that both would happen, and His prayers were always for, "Thy will be done."

God's will is that man has his own choice as to what they will believe. The majority of them have chosen to believe only what feels good to them, or what the one that calls himself/herself a preacher, preaches to them.

It is written, very plainly, that if any goes on and abides not in the doctrine of Christ, they do not have the Father or the Son. All who believe otherwise are laboring under a strong delusion! Woe unto all who are in that category!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,574,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
You are correct that Jesus knew what would happen...why else did He say," when I come again will I find faith upon the earth? " ?

But He certainly did not, and does not, approve of all the denominations. He prayed fervently that "All would be one"! Elsewhere it is written that all are to be of one mind!

Yes, it has not happened, and neither was He spared the cross...but He knew that both would happen, and His prayers were always for, "Thy will be done."

God's will is that man has his own choice as to what they will believe. The majority of them have chosen to believe only what feels good to them, or what the one that calls himself/herself a preacher, preaches to them.

It is written, very plainly, that if any goes on and abides not in the doctrine of Christ, they do not have the Father or the Son. All who believe otherwise are laboring under a strong delusion! Woe unto all who are in that category!
First of all there is only one faith, that Jesus is the only way, Second I believe that all these different denominations helps balance and ground the other. I believe us fundamentalist border on legalism at times and denominations remind us of the love and caring part of the Gospel, same for the liberal Christians who at times get too caught up in this world, bringing the Kingdom here.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 AM

397 posts, read 1,026,494 times
Quote:
I doubt it......God knew what was going to happen, therefore He willed it. Most denominations agree on the essentials and we wrangle through the non-essentials, that is ok. This is ALL part of His plan.
This statement has always fascinated me. God knew what was going to happen, therefore he willed it.

First, this statement is not in itself logical. Just because someone knows something will happen, does not follow that the person willed it.

However, that's not my real point of interest. What I was going to ask about is what your opinion is on free will vs. predestination? I know this is a point of disagreement among christians.

It seems to me it's one thing to say that the christian god knew what was going to happen (still allowing for a person's freedom to choose, but skygod, in his all-knowingness, still being able to see into the future to know what the person is going to do) and another to say that god willed it to happen (and by "willed" it, I intend to say that skygod wills it and that it actually will happen, not just that he wants it to be that way). If it is the latter, then it seems to take away free will.

If so, and everyone is predestined, why worry about prayer, mission, witnessing etc.? If Gretchen was destined to be an atheist, she will always be.

[Now, if only all the "witnessers" were Calvinists, that would be a good line to use to get rid of them at the door.]

Old 11-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
This statement has always fascinated me. God knew what was going to happen, therefore he willed it.

First, this statement is not in itself logical. Just because someone knows something will happen, does not follow that the person willed it.

However, that's not my real point of interest. What I was going to ask about is what your opinion is on free will vs. predestination? I know this is a point of disagreement among christians.

It seems to me it's one thing to say that the christian god knew what was going to happen (still allowing for a person's freedom to choose, but skygod, in his all-knowingness, still being able to see into the future to know what the person is going to do) and another to say that god willed it to happen (and by "willed" it, I intend to say that skygod wills it and that it actually will happen, not just that he wants it to be that way). If it is the latter, then it seems to take away free will.

If so, and everyone is predestined, why worry about prayer, mission, witnessing etc.? If Gretchen was destined to be an atheist, she will always be.

[Now, if only all the "witnessers" were Calvinists, that would be a good line to use to get rid of them at the door.]
He willed it to happen meaning He allowed it to happen does not mean He caused it to happen. "God's perfect will vs His sovereign will". God uses our good decisions as well as our bad decisions to give Him the glory, either way He always wins regardless of the outcome. If Gretchen dies in her sins without repenting and putting her trust in Christ, she will surely go to hell therefore giving God the glory because He is a just God and must punish sin.

Technically you do have free will but you will always be bound in sin. You can not get away from it, it is your nature and that nature is what separates you from God eternally unless your receive the sacrifice of Christ. His blood will deem you as righteous.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,841,636 times
I think he is very said to know that his name is invoked as an excuse for intolerance and to prevent all human beings from enjoying rights equally.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I think he is very said to know that his name is invoked as an excuse for intolerance and to prevent all human beings from enjoying rights equally.
I am black and Christian so you could not be talking about me and my people, so may I ask what are you talking about that you know nothing of.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
He willed it to happen meaning He allowed it to happen does not mean He caused it to happen. "God's perfect will vs His sovereign will". God uses our good decisions as well as our bad decisions to give Him the glory, either way He always wins regardless of the outcome. If Gretchen dies in her sins without repenting and putting her trust in Christ, she will surely go to hell therefore giving God the glory because He is a just God and must punish sin.

Technically you do have free will but you will always be bound in sin. You can not get away from it, it is your nature and that nature is what separates you from God eternally unless your receive the sacrifice of Christ. His blood will deem you as righteous.
OK, I understand what you meant by "willed it." I interpreted it differently, and hence my previous question is moot. I DO understand the issue of
free will, but at the same time being bound by sin - I used to be a christian for quite some time! That was not what I was referring to. I
was more curious about getting an answer from those Christians who
believe in predestination.

So you do not believe in predestination then, i.e. in your belief system, each person is given an equal and fair chance to choose for or against your god?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,969,846 times
Blacks aren't the only ones who have "Special Rights"

Quote:
I am black and Christian so you could not be talking about me and my people, so may I ask what are you talking about that you know nothing of.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Blacks aren't the only ones who have "Special Rights"
Pssst......skygod only started recognizing black rights after Brown v.
Board of Education, and then only begrudgingly. It was those liberal
Christians up north who upset the whole applecart.

And can you believe it, now they want to push feminism and gay rights as well? They're starting to sound more and more like.....atheists?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
OK, I understand what you meant by "willed it." I interpreted it differently, and hence my previous question is moot. I DO understand the issue of
free will, but at the same time being bound by sin - I used to be a christian for quite some time! That was not what I was referring to. I
was more curious about getting an answer from those Christians who
believe in predestination.

So you do not believe in predestination then, i.e. in your belief system, each person is given an equal and fair chance to choose for or against your god?

OF COURSE I DO!
, just the mere fact I and millions of others are Christian proves it. Really are we that different? we are just like everyone else, same background etc.... Why are we Christians?, what makes us susceptible to this belief? Atheist Scientists are working on some sort of "God gene theory". I say, it's predestination. I believe God created so many to be Christians, now before you say, that's not fair. Think of it this way. You go on a busy street and you pick 10 random people to give a hundred dollars each. Can the rest of the crowd who didn't get any money say, you are being unfair? This is not for us. It's all about Him only and Him getting the glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity