Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Video clip of a performance, fantastic song by Donnie McClurkin, "Stand" (Oprah's favorite) but very weak from a gospel standpoint

YouTube - K&K Mime - Stand

(I know many of you won't agree with me and will love this video)

I am black by the way so this is not "racist" but more and more black churches (and yes there are) have strange teaching and doctrine. Living in the South I see and hear it everyday. These mimes are very talented but how is that performance gonna help me in my time of trouble and anguish. Why mime when you can preach the gospel- His word comforts us. Is that performance gonna help me get through my father's death? daughter died? have a incurable disease? because all I have to do is "stand", those mimes said, I can.

I think this performance and the message is misleading to unbelievers or immature Christians. What are we standing against? is ALL adversity we face from the devil? or chance/ luck? The Lord is our shepherd, He allows these things to happen or He creates these things to happen for our good and His glory.

(Roman 8:28)

28"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

Hurt? Alienated? In this post? Where? Show me.

God does not see color! You think it really matter what "color" a church is to God? Except that it's either hot or cold? Not about being too black or too white. And I'm too harsh? And if I'm too "harsh", What do think about what Jesus had to say to several churches?

The Loveless Church:

4. "Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

5.Remember therefore from whence you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from
it's place unless you repent.

The Compromising Church:

14.But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before each children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality.15. "Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolatians, which thing I hate.
16. 'Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.

The Corrupt Church:

20. "Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and beguile My servants to commit sexual immorality and to eat things sacrificed to idols.
21. 'And I gave her time to repent of her sexual ummorality, and she did not repent.
22. "Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds.
23. "And I will kill her children with death. And all the churches shall know that I am He that searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.

The Dead Church:

2. "Be watchful, and strenghten the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God.
3. "Remember therefre how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

These are words spoken by Jesus Himself. Just to name a few. Yet I am harsh? I see nowhere in the bible words to:

The Too Black Church:

You, who color of your skin is too dark are corrupt in your deeds. You make a mockery of my words by using mimes to potray meaningless words and emtions, I shall slay you. Because you have wordlessly told people to "stand" in the midst of their trials, I will come upon you like a thief in the night.

Do you see the irony in this? The absurdity? Do you know what it means to stand? To leave it alone and let God be God? Through the midst of it all, don't give in and give up? We are to, each one, reach one! Whether that comes through whosoever God chooses, or miming, it's His choosing!! How dare we think that we can even know the mind of God? How?

And I'm too harsh? Jesus told it before I did! Truth! Therefore I will continue to tell the truth from now until I die, so help me God!! Take it or leave it!! It's too late in the hour, for a "feel good" sermon.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 PM

321 posts, read 679,458 times
Fundamentalist, you might want to check THIS thread and the thread it references in post #3. They may have some relation to this one.

Being a black person myself, I was doing a search through some of these old threads and saw those and thought about them when I saw this thread.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Betsey, I didnt mean just you. I quoted your sentence because I agreed with it. I meant everyone who'd responded in ways I thought were insensitive, though that was only my impression

Remember me? I was the one many months ago who thought your username was a reference to the short story The Flight of Betsey Lane

Last edited by delusianne; 12-02-2008 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: remember me?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
[b]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
[

I'm not going to go there because it is a very negative and misleading thread, the topic could have been mistaken for invoking racism, no matter what color the OP is,
God is love, and this was not a thread that had the least bit of love wrapped around it...
instead it seemed to be a "Spirit" a critical spirit at that and a spirit of condemnation
The OP should be rejoicing in the Lord that they are encouraging others to "Stand" as Donnie McClurkin put so well in this song.
Besides no one may ever know what either of the mimes had been through, I'm also in the music ministry, and have seen a dance or performance that was a testimony in the face of adversity of the worst kind, one of those youth could have just lost his parents, or family , and it may have also touched the heart of someone who was just about to give up for good.
I have personally seen this happen, at a military installation where we performed dance from the same song and a young lady with three children that had suffered extreme physical abuse from the hands of her perpetrator who happen to have been her husband, was moved by this song and dance on a cold New Year's eve watch nite servicel She gave her life to Christ and so did her children, along with another elderly gentleman who had just lost his wife of 60 years to cancer.
So...................go figure
p.s., It also helped me through one of the hardest times in my life in 1999
This song and dance has had a powerful impact on the salvation of many.
Maybe those that have not heard this minister sing this song, If you can google it or purchase it, it will encourage you in the worst of times
I personally apologize for this insensitiveness, of anyone who profess to know Christ, We true believers don't share the same sentiments.
God Bless You All
My prayer is that anyone that may be going through a hurting time and need encouraging may find solace and comfort in the Lord
Happy Holidays
a gift for you (you can dm me if you ever want someone to talk to)
and there's others here also if you need a shoulder to lean on.......
Here's a link I found to this song for you to enjoy along with the lyrics

Donnie McClurkin - Stand - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music
What do you do
when you've done all you can
And it seems like it's never enough?
And what do you say
when your friends turn away,
and you're all alone?
Tell me, what do you give
When you've given your all,
and it seems like
you can't make it through?

[Hook 1]
Well you just stand
when there's nothing left to do
you just stand
Watch the lord see you through
Yes after you done all you can,
You just stand

[Verse 2]
Tell me,
how do you handle the guilt of your past?
Tell me, how do you deal with the shame?
And how can you smile
while your heart has been broken
and filled with pain?
Tell me what do you give
when you've given your all
Seems like you can't make it through?

[Hook 2]
Child you just stand,
when there's nothing left to do
You just stand
Watch the Lord see you through
Yes, after you've done all you can
You just stand.

[Hook 3]
Stand and be sure
Be not entangled in that bondage again
You just stand, and endure.
God has a purpose.
Yes, God has a plan.

[Verse 3]
Tell me what do you do
when you've done all you can
And it seems like you can't make it through
Child you just stand
You just stand
Stand ( 2x's)
Don't you dare give up (You Just)
Through the storm (Stand), Stand through the rain (Stand)
Through the hurt (Stand), jet through the pain (You just)
Don't you bow (stand), and don't bend (Stand)
Don't give up (Stand) , no, don't give in (You just)
Hold on, (Stand) just be strong (Stand)
God will step in (Stand), and it won't be long (You just)

[Last Hook]
After you done all you can (After you done all you can)
After you done all you can (After you done all you can)
After you gone through the hurt (After you done all you can)
After you gone through the pain (After the yo done all you can)
After you gone through the storm (After you done all you can)
After you gone through the rain (After you done all you can)

Prayed and cried (2x's) (After you done all you can) Prayed and you've cry(After you done all you can) Prayed and cry

After you done all you can you just stand

Correction(edit)
I just noticed that my statement a"a gift for you" was in in the wrong place in the end of my text.
It should have read "a gift for you"
followed by lyrics and song
and p.s. if you like to dm me....................
I didn't want my intention to be misconstrued
Thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Who's to say indeed, but...

I see what Fundamentalist means; s/he feels alienated by productions in church that s/he maybe isnt used to, and just likes straight preaching.

You all were a little harsh, I think. Show some kindness for a Christian who feels alienated and - especially after these fierce replies - maybe a little hurt?
Really?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Video clip of a performance, fantastic song by Donnie McClurkin, "Stand" (Oprah's favorite) but very weak from a gospel standpoint

YouTube - K&K Mime - Stand

(I know many of you won't agree with me and will love this video)

I am black by the way so this is not "racist" but more and more black churches (and yes there are) have strange teaching and doctrine. Living in the South I see and hear it everyday. These mimes are very talented but how is that performance gonna help me in my time of trouble and anguish. Why mime when you can preach the gospel- His word comforts us. Is that performance gonna help me get through my father's death? daughter died? have a incurable disease? because all I have to do is "stand", those mimes said, I can.

I think this performance and the message is misleading to unbelievers or immature Christians. What are we standing against? is ALL adversity we face from the devil? or chance/ luck? The Lord is our shepherd, He allows these things to happen or He creates these things to happen for our good and His glory.

(Roman 8:28)

28"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."
That was pretty weird They do a lot of goofy crap in churches nowadays and I do think it is wrong. I do think there are standards of worship and I think most churches are abandoning those.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
That was pretty weird They do a lot of goofy crap in churches nowadays and I do think it is wrong. I do think there are standards of worship and I think most churches are abandoning those.

I agree. As for myself, I prefer the admonition that Paul gave Timothy..."Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching." 2 tim. 4.2 NKJV

Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
People can be taught through various methods and if the good news is being shared, if people are coming to the Lord through this medium and if believers are being uplifted, encouraged, if the Lord is being glorified, I believe that it is beneficial. Someone may be taught, exhorted, encouraged through this medium. Personally, I don't care for the mime, but others may be responsive to it. God bless.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:28 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
I have been to Black Churches and watched Black ministers on television, and by the way I am white, and I have enjoyed the services of most. I do feel that no matter the race some churches have a bad habit of becoming racist churches based on world theology rather than word theology. Just take Rev Wright for example on extreme views.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,351 times
Thank you for this link, Shana.
It really shows that these talented and gifted men, Karl & Keith Edmonds, have an actual ministry.

While we only got to see the dance number, I'm fairly sure that if we all had been at the service, we would've heard a sermon on Ephesians 6 or some such.

Richio

In general:
Some presentations are given to make church "more palatable".
Some presentations are given to calibrate the goodness of God.
Some presentations are given to edify and encourage the body.

We must learn to extract the good and disregard the useless.
Not everything is always to our liking, but it may serve someone.
Let God be the judge.
Our job is to discern.

Last edited by Richio; 12-03-2008 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity