Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:19 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times

Advertisements

Video clip of a performance, fantastic song by Donnie McClurkin, "Stand" (Oprah's favorite) but very weak from a gospel standpoint

YouTube - K&K Mime - Stand

(I know many of you won't agree with me and will love this video)

I am black by the way so this is not "racist" but more and more black churches (and yes there are) have strange teaching and doctrine. Living in the South I see and hear it everyday. These mimes are very talented but how is that performance gonna help me in my time of trouble and anguish. Why mime when you can preach the gospel- His word comforts us. Is that performance gonna help me get through my father's death? daughter died? have a incurable disease? because all I have to do is "stand", those mimes said, I can.

I think this performance and the message is misleading to unbelievers or immature Christians. What are we standing against? is ALL adversity we face from the devil? or chance/ luck? The Lord is our shepherd, He allows these things to happen or He creates these things to happen for our good and His glory.

(Roman 8:28)

28"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 AM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Video clip of a performance, fantastic song by Donnie McClurkin, "Stand" (Oprah's favorite) but very weak from a gospel standpoint

YouTube - K&K Mime - Stand

(I know many of you won't agree with me and will love this video)

I am black by the way so this is not "racist" but more and more black churches (and yes there are) have strange teaching and doctrine. Living in the South I see and hear it everyday. These mimes are very talented but how is that performance gonna help me in my time of trouble and anguish. Why mime when you can preach the gospel- His word comforts us. Is that performance gonna help me get through my father's death? daughter died? have a incurable disease? because all I have to do is "stand", those mimes said, I can.

I think this performance and the message is misleading to unbelievers or immature Christians. What are we standing against? is ALL adversity we face from the devil? or chance/ luck? The Lord is our shepherd, He allows these things to happen or He creates these things to happen for our good and His glory.

(Roman 8:28)

28"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."
Incidentally, just because you are black does not give you license to make a racial disclaimer. Your comment can still, in and of itself, be racist.

So let's see, Harry Potter is to blame, so is the Wiccan religion, and now even black Christian churches are not good enough, inspired by the devil to create adversity for you? Two things: (1) I think these kinds of beliefs speak for themselves. You are welcome to them. (2) The world doesn't revolve around you - I'm sure satan, if he existed, has bigger fish to fry.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,731 times
‘Very entertaining.
While the message of encouragement was clear, it’s hardly a message about God grace in the face of adversity - but about human perseverance.
The message was limited (and as you said, a bit misleading), because the song was limited in scope.

It would’ve been effective if they’d reversed roles, to show that we encourage each other and we all go through difficult times.

It can be summed up...
in the words of that famous mime, Marcel Marceau, ____________________________

Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Incidentally, just because you are black does not give you license to make a racial disclaimer. Your comment can still, in and of itself, be racist.

So let's see, Harry Potter is to blame, so is the Wiccan religion, and now even black Christian churches are not good enough, inspired by the devil to create adversity for you? Two things: (1) I think these kinds of beliefs speak for themselves. You are welcome to them. (2) The world doesn't revolve around you - I'm sure satan, if he existed, has bigger fish to fry.
I think Fundamentalist was merely saying that the OP title was not meant as an affront against blacks, but an observation concerning some presentations in a Christian setting. In this case, a black church.

Perhaps it would have been better, if the label was disregarded.

Now please excuse me, I have to get back to my Irish seven course meal.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Your criticism makes it sound like this church does nothing but have a mime presentation in place of a message. Is there a note here that I missed saying this took the place of teaching or preaching?

I think it is pretty common in American church services to have a presentation, either musical (instrumental, vocal solo or group, choir) or dramatic (dance, mime, comedy, skits, etc). The arts are wonderful tools for presenting the gospel. Why be critical of the arts in the church? I love that these two young men are using their talents in the church instead of in a club or some other setting that would not feed them.

Not all productions are equal. I have seen many that missed the mark. But our churches should be places for those in the arts to express their talent and to lead us in worship. Music or arts ministers on staff should be there to give direction, but at the same time we should allow our young people a place to practice and perfect their skills and how to use them to worship and glorify God.

As a church musician myself, I might be a little touchy, but can't tell you how many times insensitive Christians have really crushed those that are young in their faith by critical words over their expressions of praise and worship.

You seem to be criticizing the lyric of the song as well. Seems to be based off of Ephesians 6:13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Maybe different things minister to us in different ways. I have sat in sermons where I couldn't connect, couldn't get anything out of it and then a simple drama or song will touch me in a way and bring a message to life that couldn't be done any other way.

Maybe this isn't your style, but don't call this weird. I was really expecting to see something outlandish. I wouldn't put it up there with productions that have had a great impact on my life, but I applaud these two young men to use the talent they have to glorify God.

And then to take it to the extreme and label black churches weird is way off base, even if you are black yourself. Brother, please, let's be constructive and look to build each other up instead of criticizing what others are doing.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Unbelievable!!! Why must we rip every single thing apart? Why not mimes? Or prostitutes, or vagrants, crackheads, drunks, black, white, red, yellow, brown .................................................. ................................get the picture! God will use whosoever He calls to spread the Word of His mercy and goodness!! Just because it was'nt for you, that does'nt mean it was'nt for: Brittany, and Joe and Lisa, Harry, Lawanda, Tom, Bud, Kiesha, Keith, Francis, Frank, Susy.............................................. .................................................g et the picture!

People! What are we doing? So late in the hour? It's time to be winning souls for Christ Jesus like never before! Does it really matter if you sing it, or mime it? What if the recipient is deaf anyway? Who's to say that something in the way they moved the hands, or their feet, or was it something in their eyes, that was received from the intended recipient (and only God knows who that person is)?

And what if the recipient was blind? And the music could be heard? Could be felt? People, again I ask, "what are we really doing so late in the hour"? Are building up? Or are we tearing down?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:23 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Your criticism makes it sound like this church does nothing but have a mime presentation in place of a message. Is there a note here that I missed saying this took the place of teaching or preaching?

I think it is pretty common in American church services to have a presentation, either musical (instrumental, vocal solo or group, choir) or dramatic (dance, mime, comedy, skits, etc). The arts are wonderful tools for presenting the gospel. Why be critical of the arts in the church? I love that these two young men are using their talents in the church instead of in a club or some other setting that would not feed them.

Not all productions are equal. I have seen many that missed the mark. But our churches should be places for those in the arts to express their talent and to lead us in worship. Music or arts ministers on staff should be there to give direction, but at the same time we should allow our young people a place to practice and perfect their skills and how to use them to worship and glorify God.

As a church musician myself, I might be a little touchy, but can't tell you how many times insensitive Christians have really crushed those that are young in their faith by critical words over their expressions of praise and worship.

You seem to be criticizing the lyric of the song as well. Seems to be based off of Ephesians 6:13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Maybe different things minister to us in different ways. I have sat in sermons where I couldn't connect, couldn't get anything out of it and then a simple drama or song will touch me in a way and bring a message to life that couldn't be done any other way.

Maybe this isn't your style, but don't call this weird. I was really expecting to see something outlandish. I wouldn't put it up there with productions that have had a great impact on my life, but I applaud these two young men to use the talent they have to glorify God.

And then to take it to the extreme and label black churches weird is way off base, even if you are black yourself. Brother, please, let's be constructive and look to build each other up instead of criticizing what others are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Unbelievable!!! Why must we rip every single thing apart. Why not mimes? Or prostitutes or vagrants, crackheads, drunks, black, white, red, yellow, brown .................................................. .................................................. .......................get the picture! God will use whosoever He calls to spread the word of His mercy and goodness!! Just because it was'nt for you, that does'nt mean it was'nt for: Brittany, and Joe and Lisa, Harry, Lawanda, Tom, Bud, Kiesha, Keith, Francis, Frank, Susy.............................................. .................................................. ......................get the picture! People! What are we doing? The hour is late! It's time to be winning souls for Christ Jesus like never before! Does it really matter if you sing it, or mime it? What if the recepient is deaf anyway? Who's to say that something in the way they moved the hands, or their feet, or was it something in their eyes, that was recieved from the intended recepient (and only God knows who that person is)?

And what if the recepient was blind? And the music could be heard? Could be felt? People, again I ask, what are we really doing so late in the hour? Are building up? Or are we tearing down?
Just when I think it's time to toss in the towel.....God puts voices of wisdom and discernment in my path.

God bless ya'll!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
K & K Mime: Interview - Black Gospel Music Clef (BlackGospel.com) - March, 2005

God bless!

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-02-2008 at 07:08 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Who's to say that something in the way they moved the hands, or their feet, or was it something in their eyes, that was recieved from the intended recepient (and only God knows who that person is)?
Who's to say indeed, but...

I see what Fundamentalist means; s/he feels alienated by productions in church that s/he maybe isnt used to, and just likes straight preaching.

You all were a little harsh, I think. Show some kindness for a Christian who feels alienated and - especially after these fierce replies - maybe a little hurt?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
[
Quote:
B]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

[/b]

I'm not going to go there because it is a very negative and misleading thread, the topic could have been mistaken for invoking racism, no matter what color the OP is,
God is love, and this was not a thread that had the least bit of love wrapped around it...
instead it seemed to be a "Spirit" a critical spirit at that and a spirit of condemnation
The OP should be rejoicing in the Lord that they are encouraging others to "Stand" as Donnie McClurkin put so well in this song.
Besides no one may ever know what either of the mimes had been through, I'm also in the music ministry, and have seen a dance or performance that was a testimony in the face of adversity of the worst kind, one of those youth could have just lost his parents, or family , and it may have also touched the heart of someone who was just about to give up for good.
I have personally seen this happen, at a military installation where we performed dance from the same song and a young lady with three children that had suffered extreme physical abuse from the hands of her perpetrator who happen to have been her husband, was moved by this song and dance on a cold New Year's eve watch nite servicel She gave her life to Christ and so did her children, along with another elderly gentleman who had just lost his wife of 60 years to cancer.
So...................go figure
p.s., It also helped me through one of the hardest times in my life in 1999
This song and dance has had a powerful impact on the salvation of many.
Maybe those that have not heard this minister sing this song, If you can google it or purchase it, it will encourage you in the worst of times
I personally apologize for this insensitiveness, of anyone who profess to know Christ, We true believers don't share the same sentiments.
God Bless You All
My prayer is that anyone that may be going through a hurting time and need encouraging may find solace and comfort in the Lord
Happy Holidays
a gift for you (you can dm me if you ever want someone to talk to)
and there's others here also if you need a shoulder to lean on.......
Here's a link I found to this song for you to enjoy along with the lyrics

Donnie McClurkin - Stand - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music
What do you do
when you've done all you can
And it seems like it's never enough?
And what do you say
when your friends turn away,
and you're all alone?
Tell me, what do you give
When you've given your all,
and it seems like
you can't make it through?

[Hook 1]
Well you just stand
when there's nothing left to do
you just stand
Watch the lord see you through
Yes after you done all you can,
You just stand

[Verse 2]
Tell me,
how do you handle the guilt of your past?
Tell me, how do you deal with the shame?
And how can you smile
while your heart has been broken
and filled with pain?
Tell me what do you give
when you've given your all
Seems like you can't make it through?

[Hook 2]
Child you just stand,
when there's nothing left to do
You just stand
Watch the Lord see you through
Yes, after you've done all you can
You just stand.

[Hook 3]
Stand and be sure
Be not entangled in that bondage again
You just stand, and endure.
God has a purpose.
Yes, God has a plan.

[Verse 3]
Tell me what do you do
when you've done all you can
And it seems like you can't make it through
Child you just stand
You just stand
Stand ( 2x's)
Don't you dare give up (You Just)
Through the storm (Stand), Stand through the rain (Stand)
Through the hurt (Stand), jet through the pain (You just)
Don't you bow (stand), and don't bend (Stand)
Don't give up (Stand) , no, don't give in (You just)
Hold on, (Stand) just be strong (Stand)
God will step in (Stand), and it won't be long (You just)

[Last Hook]
After you done all you can (After you done all you can)
After you done all you can (After you done all you can)
After you gone through the hurt (After you done all you can)
After you gone through the pain (After the yo done all you can)
After you gone through the storm (After you done all you can)
After you gone through the rain (After you done all you can)

Prayed and cried (2x's) (After you done all you can) Prayed and you've cry(After you done all you can) Prayed and cry

After you done all you can you just stand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity