Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of this idea?
Yes, it's a good way to bridge the age gap 6 60.00%
No way, not a good idea! 4 40.00%
Not sure/Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM

14,893 posts, read 17,182,682 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what everyone thought of this..Do you think that it's a good idea or not? I think that it could be a good way to reach out to younger people in congregations if the songs include or are changed to communicate a spiritual message, sort of like they did in Sister Act. I am not sure if they did or not because these are only snippets. What do you think...and be nice! God bless.

YouTube - Senior Adult Choir Hip Hop (Short Version)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,665,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I was wondering what everyone thought of this..Do you think that it's a good idea or not? I think that it could be a good way to reach out to younger people in congregations if the songs include or are changed to communicate a spiritual message, sort of like they did in Sister Act. I am not sure if they did or not because these are only snippets. What do you think...and be nice! God bless.

Hi Shana! ...excellant topic! In my church, (in which I am the alto singer in our Worship Team), we have evolved over the last 10 years or so, going from the "traditional", but very much loved church songs, to the newer, really excellant forms of Praise and Worship music, which I think has really imoproved especially over the last 2 years! From my vantage point, (one in which where I can see the people's faces, and their act of worship), I have noticed a softening of some hearts over the change...it was just something they weren't used to at first, but over time, they have ever so gently shifted toward really enjoying the new sounds! The youth...well, I don't even need to tell you how much they appreciate the change! The youth are really the ones we should put our focus on the most inside the church setting, there goes our future...and their attention span is short! All-in-all, the music choices we have today, the quality of their arrangements, the beauty of their messages...I am all for churches delving into them, or at least introducing them into the service. It's a positive change...........Love!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:36 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,574,644 times
Quote:

LOL. Oh no, no,no, no and here's why, other than the obvious . When I hear that song I am only thinking of Eminem's lyrics even remember the curse words- (that's all I need is to remember curse words in church), the times when I was at the club, chasing girls and drinking and drugs.

Not a good idea in the slightest.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:36 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,622,279 times
hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaah ahahahahahahaha
alright alright alright!!!
"Now don't have me break this thing down for nothin"!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"Tryin to catch me ridin dirty" means riding in his vehicle with illegal substances, firearms, having sex. Pretty much anything illegal. (YA! That belongs in church)

Did dat kinda give u an Idea
Yo, we white and nerdy folks kno'
What it means... like yo'

Dig this baby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwJJN...eature=related

Last edited by firstborn888; 12-04-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,665,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
LOL. Oh no, no,no, no and here's why, other than the obvious . When I hear that song I am only thinking of Eminem's lyrics even remember the curse words- (that's all I need is to remember curse words in church), the times when I was at the club, chasing girls and drinking and drugs.

Not a good idea in the slightest.
...My church would not allow a song to be sung that had even the hint of a curse word in it...true worship of God does not include cursing, therefore, if a song has a curse word in it, it is not considered a worship or a praise song. So, any song that IS true worship, in love, and grace, and mercy IS a fantastic idea! .........Love.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was only familiar with 2 of the songs,and I had some questions about the words in other songs. I was thinking, maybe other more appropriate songs that still had that hip hop sound might work. And I was thinking if some of the wording or message had been changed or, keeping the melody or tune, maybe it might work. I also read that part of the reason for doing it was to talk about media choices and maybe they could use it as a starting point to talk to the kids about why they listened to these songs and what they really mean. Just thinking. But I think that the older people look too cute trying to sing to tthese songs, especially the little lady in 2:00. I 'd like to hear what their thoughts were about singing parts of these songs. Thanks again for voting and for your comments. God bless.

P.S.-Fundamentalist my first post was going to be specifically directed to you to be nice! Thanks for sharing. I understand what you mean!

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-04-2008 at 10:47 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Firstborn, have you seen the movie? God bless.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,037,537 times
Having written, performed, and recorded a bunch of heavy metal music, I will personally state that none of it belongs (in any form) in church. Actually, I still write, perform, and record the same style of music. Lyrically, some if it would work. But, it's not just the content of the message, it's the direction of the tune. I also really don't think that John Phillip Souza marches belong in Church, or Hip-Hop belongs in Church. Being a former young person (now in his 30s) I can honestly say that none of it would bring me into the church. Frankly, it would keep me out of the church. To be honest, most "contemporary" services are ridiculous to me.

It's not the musical style that keeps young people out of the church; it's the message (or lack thereof), outreach, or their own hardened hearts.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Firstborn, have you seen the movie? God bless.
Haven't seen it yet but plan to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity