Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 AM

321 posts, read 679,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
If He can talk through an ass, he can talk through your pastor.

I wouldn't talk about Pat Robertson like that. You might be smiteth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
If He can talk through an ass, he can talk through your pastor.
If he could talk through your pastor, why can't he talk through everyone?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:00 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
God can talk through even unbelievers - it's the listener that is the receiver or rejector.

Quote:
Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long do you make us to doubt? If you be the Christ, tell us plainly.

Jesus answered them, I told you, and you believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.

But you believe not, because you are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me... (John 10:24-27)

Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,571,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
God talks to us through the bible, that's why we call it, "God's word" I don't know if I should get married, I prayed about it, then I am flipping through channels and it's a TV program on Snoopy & Charlie Brown...WOW!... She loves Snoopy & Charlie Brown!, what are the odds? the timing is just too perfect. It must be a sign from God. I will marry her!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
James Ryle, the former chaplain of the U of Colorado football team, wrote a really neat book called "Hippo in the Garden" about this very topic.

The Hippo in the Garden: Hearing God's Voice in the 21st Century: James Ryle: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
God talks to us through the bible, that's why we call it, "God's word" I don't know if I should get married, I prayed about it, then I am flipping through channels and it's a TV program on Snoopy & Charlie Brown...WOW!... She loves Snoopy & Charlie Brown!, what are the odds? the timing is just too perfect. It must be a sign from God. I will marry her!
Maybe I did not make myself too clear earlier in this thread, Fundz. You talk about God speaking to people through his word. Ok, what about if you have desires about moving to Tahiti to be a missionary? Is there a passage in the Bible that will speak to you and tell you that is a move you should make as their is none) OR won't you have to depend on him "speaking to you heart" which then places such answers in the realm of subjectivity? There is no way God can answer everything question you have or every request you through the Bible, right? This is what I mean by people saying "God spoke to me/my heart."

Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
Maybe I did not make myself too clear earlier in this thread, Fundz. You talk about God speaking to people through his word. Ok, what about if you have desires about moving to Tahiti to be a missionary? Is there a passage in the Bible that will speak to you and tell you that is a move you should make as their is none) OR won't you have to depend on him "speaking to you heart" which then places such answers in the realm of subjectivity? There is no way God can answer everything question you have or every request you through the Bible, right? This is what I mean by people saying "God spoke to me/my heart."
Ahhh...but there is, the bible is a supernatural book. I have not come across not one problem that I haven't seen the answer in the bible. If God does talk to you it wouldn't be anything different that he has not already put in the bible. You want to move to Africa, pray, read His word, consult. We are not all called to be missionaries, many of else can not handle that life. We may want it but God gives us what we need not what we want. We act according to His will

Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Ahhh...but there is, the bible is a supernatural book. I have not come across not one problem that I haven't seen the answer in the bible. If God does talk to you it wouldn't be anything different that he has not already put in the bible. You want to move to Africa, pray, read His word, consult. We are not all called to be missionaries, many of else can not handle that life. We may want it but God gives us what we need not what we want. We act according to His will
So if you have the money and are thinking about buying a 80 thousand Land Rover which will give you problems or a 85 thousand dollar Escalade which won't, is there a passage in the Bible that will speak to you to let you know which one you should get or will God "speak to your heart" and tell you which one to pick out because he can see into the future?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
So if you have the money and are thinking about buying a 80 thousand Land Rover which will give you problems or a 85 thousand dollar Escalade which won't, is there a passage in the Bible that will speak to you to let you know which one you should get or will God "speak to your heart" and tell you which one to pick out because he can see into the future?
I know no such passage

What color should I paint my house? what type of dog should I get? Why bother the creator of the earth and the universe with such minor things. He gave you a brain and discernment. Use it! It's God's will for you to make the right decisions. That is such a low view of God, they make Him into some kind of buddy or magic genie. He's not, He's God

Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,552,468 times
Quote:

LOL ! I love it!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity