Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 AM

321 posts, read 679,693 times

Advertisements

Do you view people (ministers) who pepper their messages with this with suspicion? You know, ever other word out of their mouth is:

"The lord told me..."

"The lord spoke to my heart and told me..."

If your answer is that you are suspicious of such people, does the same suspicion arise in your mind when you read in the Bible about writers claiming God spoke to this one and that one?

I mentioned it in another thread as an example that the bible says God spoke to Abraham and told him his children would inherit all the land area between northwestern Iraq and Egypt. How do we know Go said any such thing to Abraham? Who else was standing around hearing this? Who told the chronicler that this really went down as stated? Was Abraham walking around with a scribe?

I take it that this is where "faith" comes in - to believe what is written and take it as face value? Why do we view modern day folks saying the same thing with suspicion but accept written accounts saying the same thing from thousands of years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 10:17 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
It's church-speak - not always, but 99% of the time.

When someone feels determined, they say "The Lord spoke to me...". When they're called upon and don't want to do___, they "feel a check in my spirit". When unsure, they say "Let me pray about it", etc.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
It's church-speak - not always, but 99% of the time.

When someone feels determined, they say "The Lord spoke to me...". When they're called upon and don't want to do___, they "feel a check in my spirit". When unsure, they say "Let me pray about it", etc.
So it's not to be taken seriously/literally then? That's a relief.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
So it's not to be taken seriously/literally then? That's a relief.
He's faithful to His word, that's all I can say. If it was God, not one word will return unto Him void.

It's a concept not easily fit into today's society, when the leader of a church body tells his "followers" that the Lord spoke, now everybody do this...

Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Default this makes me sad, you see...

What do you think it means to have a relationship with God?

Do you think it's just church speak? Or, do you think it's a real relationship?

If it is a real relationship.... isn't there always two-way communication?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
What do you think it means to have a relationship with God?

Do you think it's just church speak? Or, do you think it's a real relationship?

If it is a real relationship.... isn't there always two-way communication?
I agree wholeheartedly, but as my previous post alluded to, I was thinking in terms of leadership.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:34 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
I do agree that every time someone says that "God told them something"... doesn't mean that person has discerned the will of God but I know that God still speaks to us... sometimes it's clearer than other times.

God desires a real relationship with us.

and, btw, God definitely spoke to Abraham....

Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 AM

As Job said, "The Lord speaks, though men may not perceive it".

Old 12-13-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
He's faithful to His word, that's all I can say. If it was God, not one word will return unto Him void.

It's a concept not easily fit into today's society, when the leader of a church body tells his "followers" that the Lord spoke, now everybody do this...
So why should anyone take these Sunday morning preachers seriously?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
So why should anyone take these Sunday morning preachers seriously?
He said, "My sheep know my voice" and as WC said we each have a relationship with our Father. A pastor should want his church to seek the Lord before following any voice. It's irresponsible to do otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity