Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM

605 posts, read 1,108,146 times

Advertisements

I want your HONEST answer, not some politically correct, sidestepping, pre-packaged, cookie cutter answer unless you actually honestly believe the politically correct, sidestepping, pre-packaged, cookie cutter answer. I do realize this topic will NOT apply to all Christians as not all Christians fall into the category I am about to mention.

Just browsing this forum and from what I know about some Christians, there is a lot of talk of impending gloom and doom tempered by a delight that this must mean Jesus is already galloping past galaxies trillions of light years away on his way to whisk away the True Christians™ off the earth.

My question then is, do you get a real pleasure out of seeing things on earth go from bad to worse because without complete mayhem on the planet your "hope in glory" remains just that - hope?

Ok...I can hear the mumbling already about "trolling" but I would not have asked the question if I did not see what I think I see constantly on here. On a daily basis there seems to be at least one veiled threat in a thread that sounds like, "oh....so you don't believe what I believe, huh? Well you just wait and see! How dare you question MY interpretation of the Bible and ESPECIALLY prophesy?!" Well if the only way the [veiled] threat can have teeth is to desire the threat to come to pass regardless who it hurts then isn't there some wishful thinking going on so a person can get that, "I told you so" feeling while in the process proving God right to those who need to see God is true?

Last edited by Deguire; 01-09-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
You are not trolling. There are Christians who believe in post trib, pre trib, no trib. I can only speak for me and I am a typical pre trib. Do I get happy when things go from bad to worse? Yes and no, no because I live on this planet too and I am affected by it but yes in that I long for that day when Jesus comes, takes away my sin forever and His Kingdom will be restored on earth. Same with Peter he was upset when he found out that Jesus was going to be crucified but he was happy knowing what his death would bring. I grieve for all who will be here during tribulation. I would not wish it on my worst enemy but for Christians to rejoice in others suffering are showing a serious lack of discernment.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
I don't believe Christians will be "whisked away" as you put it. We've been put here to be salt and light, then overcomers. Anything He brings to earth will benefit us by the refining result. Do you really think any of us are complete/perfected yet?

imo

Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,277,938 times
June, for reasons that are no doubt obvious, doesn't fully understand what the Rapture is all about. However, she can't help but notice that it has thus far only existed for her here, in here mind, in reading through this forum. It particularly had a bit of relevance when she came across an old thread started by her son on "Millennialism" that after nine months had be unearthed. So for June, the extent of her ponderings in that moment made her think back and remember how he had a paper to write, and was asking for other's help and input. (And it made her smile to recall that he did well on that paper, that Big Bad College Graduate Boy.)

June has no clue as regards the Rapture. June is also old enough to remember all the other times that the Rapture was predicted to happen, and she is thinking to herself: "We're all still here."

--June is counting on the fact that she'll be around tomorrow, and not burning somewhere. In fact, she's counting on it. That is not to say that she does not respect the fact that there are those for whom this event is a very real and serious reality. June can live with that. She doesn't have to agree with them, or even understand it. For all June really knows, perhaps they're right, and June's sadly mistaken.

I guess we'll see. Only time will tell.

But in the meantime, there is too much to do. Too much that needs to be done. There are too many people out there who are in too many ways expediting their own demise; who are in need of someone or something to "save" them. June can't help but think that on some level, Christians should remember those people not just now, but tomorrow. And the day after tomorrow. --And the day after that...

The funny thing about "the end" of anything is that it oftentimes provides a new opportunity for something else; something new. Perhaps today, this afternoon, that is all that June can derive by way of "meaning" as regards the Rapture. That it makes her think about endings, about loss; about those who have lost more than she. Those who have lost far too much. Those who have seemingly nothing left to lose. And it makes her think...

-It makes her think that at the end of the day, something keeps even those who have seemingly lost all there is to lose keep on going, and the force or spirit within mankind that hopefully accounts for, and allows that. And that, to June, seems important. It is important. It's essential.

It's as essential as the geese, it's as essential as the full moon last night that woke her up as its light came beeming through her window and woke her up, like some sort of beacon that was shining right at her and said "Wake up!" -And she did. And rolled over and went back to sleep. (It was 3:00 am, June was tired...) It's as essential as the cord that was struck in June's heart in seeing her son's thread suddenly reappear, and reminded her of just how much she misses him...And that whether the Rapture transpires or not, that she should not put off calling him. And she did.

Sometimes, things serve a purpose indirectly. -That are felt in the heart, none the less. Perhaps there is some sort of process or spirit in that...

Take gentle care.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:59 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,837,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
My question then is, do you get a real pleasure out of seeing things on earth go from bad to worse because without complete mayhem on the planet your "hope in glory" remains just that - hope?
The only pleasure I get from the mayhem is that I know the Lord is soon to return. I wish it could be otherwise and I know the Lord would prefer it be otherwise, but mankind has sealed their fate by rejecting Him and the only way to ensure a better outcome is to have faith in the Lord.

Quote:
Well if the only way the [veiled] threat can have teeth is to desire the threat to come to pass regardless who it hurts then isn't there some wishful thinking going on so a person can get that, "I told you so" feeling while in the process proving God right to those who need to see God is true?
It is not like the believers are causing the problems. We certainly do not have an "i tild you so" outlook, but I can understand some believing that. In actuality we hope that all will come to faith and be exempt from the coming tribulation, but that is not our decision.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
June is wise..... As with many things ... we spend too much time worrying about that which we have no control over and doing less about those things we do. I truely believe you are on the right path as a seeker and I have prayed for you to find your way. It (the rapture) will come as a "thief in the night".... and no ones salvation depends on what they think, or what they know, or what they think they know, about the rapture.
However.... Revelation is the olny book of the Bible that says you will be blessed for reading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity