Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:28 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,355,083 times

Advertisements

As I have read through post after post that have people claiming as a defense to their belief that they asked the Holy Spirit to guide them as they read the word, or they will say that the Holy Spirit did guide them as they read it...I have to wonder...if the Holy Spirit does guide us while reading the Bible, why is it so many come up with different interpretations?

As much as I can say the Holy Spirit guided me as I studied about baptism, and came to the conclusion it is necessary to salvation, another will say the same exact thing, only their conclusion is that it is not necessary. So what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 PM

63,901 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
As I have read through post after post that have people claiming as a defense to their belief that they asked the Holy Spirit to guide them as they read the word, or they will say that the Holy Spirit did guide them as they read it...I have to wonder...if the Holy Spirit does guide us while reading the Bible, why is it so many come up with different interpretations?

As much as I can say the Holy Spirit guided me as I studied about baptism, and came to the conclusion it is necessary to salvation, another will say the same exact thing, only their conclusion is that it is not necessary. So what gives?
God knows what is necessary to motivate each of us to follow Jesus and the holy spirit as the example for our thoughts, feelings, attitudes, and acts toward life and others. No one else does. We are all unique . . . but we must achieve the same spirit of love. I Corinthians 12:4,

. . .There is a variety of gifts but always the same Spirit; there are all sorts of service to be done, but always the same Lord; working in all sorts of different ways in different people, it is the same God who is working in all of them.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,413,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

There is no need to feel confused when you read the Bible. Jesus is your teacher and through the indwelling presence of His Spirit, He makes all things known to you. Never take anyone's word for what the Bible says, study it yourself, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to tell you the truth.
John 14:26 says He enables you to discern truth from error.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:07 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
There is no need to feel confused when you read the Bible. Jesus is your teacher and through the indwelling presence of His Spirit, He makes all things known to you. Never take anyone's word for what the Bible says, study it yourself, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to tell you the truth.
John 14:26 says He enables you to discern truth from error.
But the author of the OP has pointed out that two people, both equally sincere, both relying on the same Holy Spirit, will often come to contradictory conclusions. I think the question is a valid one, and I've often wondered the same thing myself.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,413,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But the author of the OP has pointed out that two people, both equally sincere, both relying on the same Holy Spirit, will often come to contradictory conclusions. I think the question is a valid one, and I've often wondered the same thing myself.
Not all of these sincere people have a full understanding of the Bible.
Matthew 13:12 "To those who are open to My teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge, but those who are not listening, even what they have will be taken away from them".

Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,158,579 times
Quote:
Matthew 13:12 "To those who are open to My teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge, but those who are not listening, even what they have will be taken away from them".
That is a cop out pure and simple. Why wouldn't they? If they are sincere in their beliefs, thoughts, actions, and are following Jesus as Lord, then why would not Jesus give ALL of these people the same interpretations of the scriptures.

I believe what I believe they(the scriptures) say. I study, pray, and also seek guidence from the Spirit of Truth, but sometimes I am led down a path different than the mainstream. Maybe that is a good thing, since the Way into the gate is narrow, and few find it...

We are the Body of Christ, and the Body is not divided, is it? Could it not be because everyone follows men, instead of God? Think about how many variations of interpretation there is, and with that, the thousands of denominations as well. Sounds like a huge division. These are almost always based upon some "godly" man who decided that HIS interpretation was the correct one.

We seek individually, and once found, are joined into the collective Body of Christ as overcomers. At least it is how I see it, from my "limited" understanding.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
If they are sincere, then isn't it the Holy Spirit's job to make them have a full understanding? I think that's exactly what Matthew 13:12 is saying. So, two people who are open to His teaching, understanding will be given...and yet, those same two people can come up with different conclusions.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
That is a cop out pure and simple. Why wouldn't they? If they are sincere in their beliefs, thoughts, actions, and are following Jesus as Lord, then why would not Jesus give ALL of these people the same interpretations of the scriptures.

I believe what I believe they(the scriptures) say. I study, pray, and also seek guidence from the Spirit of Truth, but sometimes I am led down a path different than the mainstream. Maybe that is a good thing, since the Way into the gate is narrow, and few find it...

We are the Body of Christ, and the Body is not divided, is it? Could it not be because everyone follows men, instead of God? Think about how many variations of interpretation there is, and with that, the thousands of denominations as well. Sounds like a huge division. These are almost always based upon some "godly" man who decided that HIS interpretation was the correct one.

We seek individually, and once found, are joined into the collective Body of Christ as overcomers. At least it is how I see it, from my "limited" understanding.
Yes, you're understanding what I'm saying. Although I may not agree with say, a church that teaches speaking in tongues is still going on today, and that those tongues are unintelligible words rather than a different language...I honestly believe that those who do believe that are very sincere, and have searched the scriptures, and believe that to be what God is saying to them.

To all:

So if two sincere people come up with different interpretations, who is to say which one is right? Who can judge the heart and say, you're the one Jesus was talking about in Matt 13, you're the one who's not listening?

I guess I have asked this question because I sincerely wonder why there are so many divisions and different interpretations. It's been talked about what the atheists think when they see so many Christians divided...well what about what we think?

Am I making any sense?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 AM

605 posts, read 1,108,692 times
I've asked this question a million times -even here- in the past.

There is also another one I hear. Christians will often try to answer you within their worldview but once the questions get beyond explanation, you will sometimes be told to "ask the holy spirit to reveal it to you," but doesn't that present a conundrum? You are told that you (the unbeliever) "cannot understand the ways of God because you are not in tuned with God" [READ: You're not a Christian like us]. If that is the case, how does the unbeliever make the transition from not being able to hear God's voice because he does NOT have the spirit of God to teach him to all of a sudden hearing the voice of God which he supposedly cannot hear because he is not a believer?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,578,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
I've asked this question a million times -even here- in the past.

There is also another one I hear. Christians will often try to answer you within their worldview but once the questions get beyond explanation, you will sometimes be told to "ask the holy spirit to reveal it to you," but doesn't that present a conundrum? You are told that you (the unbeliever) "cannot understand the ways of God because you are not in tuned with God" [READ: You're not a Christian like us]. If that is the case, how does the unbeliever make the transition from not being able to hear God's voice because he does NOT have the spirit of God to teach him to all of a sudden hearing the voice of God which he supposedly cannot hear because he is not a believer?
EXACTLY! That is why many Christians believe if you want to hear God's word, read your bible. It is His word.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-26-2009 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity