Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 11:21 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I see this is a resurrected thread from about ten years ago. Had many in depth DMs with Carlos the OP as well as back and forth discussions on some of these posts. Haven't seen him in years. Anyone hear from him lately?
A quick search on his posts shows he last posted in 2017. You might try sending him a DM. If he is set up to get a notification on his email, he might see it.

The thread made me think of something B.B. King said. They play clips of interviews with him on the XM Bluesville channel.

He said when he was starting out and sang gospel music on the street, no one gave him any money. They all cheered for him, but since he was "singing for the Lord" they didn't feel they should give him anything. But if he sang non-religious music, those same people would be yelling to others to "put something in the hat for the boy".

Old 06-07-2019, 05:57 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
I have something on my heart that I would like to express so I thought I would express it in a second thread here .

I am tired of getting cut down and beaten up by unbelievers and God haters so for a while...I might hang out here. Among you...my fellow believers. Maybe not. We'll see.

It may not last long because I don't want to hide out here indefinitely when there is so much work to be done out in the world (in our case in other forums and elsewhere on the Internet)...where the unbelievers are. But for now...I am tired and need a break from the relentless put downs elsewhere.

So here are my thoughts for tonight for what they are worth. If anyone would like to comment I'd be appreciative of your input.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying to listen to some great worship music tonight over the Internet but...much of it is unavailable without buying it. Why? Because someone, either the artist or label company wants to make money from it.

Normally there is nothing wrong with an artist making money from his work but we, as Christians are called to nothing less than the standard set by the death of Christ and what He did for us.

Here is an analogy that will hopefully highlight what I want to say.

I (not the real me but a make believe me for the purposes of this analogy) am a top surgeon. The best. I can do things that are nearly miraculous to save people's lives under my skilled surgeon's hands.

I teach you to be a great surgeon. For free. I take time and effort with you. I pay for your education. I give you money to live on while you go to medical school. I am there for your graduation. I am there when you need advice on how to be a better surgeon. And I am there when you are wrongly sued for malpractice. I charge you nothing. I love you and want to help you and make myself available to you. Charging you nothing. I inspire you.

If it wasn't for me...you would have never been able to become a surgeon.

Someone comes to you and says they need to learn how to operate on their wife who is dying in a third world country.

You say you will help them but that you will charge them $16 to do it. They say they have no money. You say no dice. You will not help them unless they pay you.

Their wife dies. And you don't care.

How heartless you say?

What do Christian musicians and labels do?

Jesus Christ shed His precious blood to die for their sins. He inspires them. His Spirit moves them to produce wonderful Christian worship songs. He is there for them when they are down and when they need encouragement to write their next song. He lifts them up and gives them grace to do what they do. They would not be able to write one song or do one thing to be a great singer without Him.

Someone comes along who is so poor that they cannot afford a musicians songs. Hearing their songs might help save their faith. They might desperately need to receive God's grace through the songs that God inspires in the musicians but they can't pay the $16 dollars it costs to get the CD.

They might live in a third world country. But they can't download or hear the song over the Internet because it's copyrighted and illegal to post it and download it.

But they are a part of His Church!

The main surgeon is Jesus. The musicians are the trained surgeon. And the person needing what the trained surgeon can give are the people of God - many of whom can't afford to pay.

And what do musicians and labels do?

They charge $16 per CD to make their music available or else no dice.

Jesus Christ shed His blood and inspires them. Freely He gave and what do the musicians and labels do? They give away nothing unless they are paid their $16 per CD.

Something doesn't seem right about that.

When contrasted with the free gift of eternal life...the FREE gift of eternal life, which is worth more than all the music put out by all music labels anywhere...to charge ANYTHING to a fellow Christian for something that the Lord gifts or inspires in us freely...is nothing less than a disgrace and miserly.

Thoughts?

Carlos

PS. Not all Christian musicians and labels are as bad as any other but when contrasted with Christ's command to freely give as we have been freely given to...they are all not doing what Christ did and would have us do. Give and give and give to love our brethren and win the world to Christ. Without expecting anything in return.

PSS. The same principal can be applied to Christian Counseling or anything else that Christians charge for but which Christ has given them abundantly of...for free. I don't know how many times I have been told that so and so, who really needs help, can't get it because they can't afford Christian counseling. I heard that last night from someone.
my take on this is..

RADIO IS FREE AND THE BIBLE IS FREE SOMEPLACES.. .... FOR A REASON.

AND IF Y/OUR/ their " FAITH" IS CONTINGENT ON YOU GETTING FREE ALBUMS,and you will not listen to the free radio..THERE IS BIGGER ISSUES THERE...
WHEN DOES GOD SAY IT IS A SIN TO MAKE A FAIR WAGE? ARE NOT THE MAKERS, DISTRIBUTERS. OF GOODS, TRUCK DRIVERS. AND SOUNDMEN.. OF THINGS INTITLED TO A FAIR LIVING for a days work ?

WHAT IF YOUR BOSS COMES INTO YOUR WORK ONE DAY AND SAYS THERE WILL BE NOT PAYCHECK BECAUSE WALMART DECIDED TO GIVE AWAY ALL THE
PRODUCTS YOU MADE LAST WEEK. SO NO PAY FOR TWO WEEKS..
THEN YOU WOULD BE IRATE!!
AS A CHRISTIAN EMPLOYEE. WHY DO YOU CHARGE YOUR EMPLOYER A WAGE? YOU SHOULD YOU NOT SERVE ALL MANKIND
For FREE Like Jesus did ? ( hum why did Jesus have a Judas.. who was steward of the finances) .... that means he got finances from someplace .. even Gold in fishes mouths is money..

BY YOUR EXAM-PLES? he shouldn't have collected offerings or anything.. right? but maybe they did .. Paul and the apostles collected money to share around.
I know I struggle with soem of these issues also.. it is easy to get bitter about finances when you are poor. so pray for the Lord of the harvest to increase your income and out flow and give you more work to do.!

HE TELLS THE TAXES COLLECTORS TO TAKE THEIR PROPER SHARE > NOT MORE. He didnt tell them to work for free.. he tells no one ever to work for free.. that is impossible.. even ox get their grain..

PROVERBS MAKES IT CLEAR ... Mar 12:17

¶
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

1Ti 5:18

For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

so IF YOU DENY HIM HIS REWARD/PAY then YOU ARE A THIEF!
IF YOU DON'T PAY YOUR TITHE ( GOD'S SHARE for all his many blessings in all parts of your life and income ) Are you not JUST AS MUCH A THIEF, as anyone who would deny someone wage.. or a living right ?

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 06-07-2019 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 07:49 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
my take on this is..

RADIO IS FREE AND THE BIBLE IS FREE SOMEPLACES.. .... FOR A REASON.

AND IF Y/OUR/ their " FAITH" IS CONTINGENT ON YOU GETTING FREE ALBUMS,and you will not listen to the free radio..THERE IS BIGGER ISSUES THERE...
WHEN DOES GOD SAY IT IS A SIN TO MAKE A FAIR WAGE? ARE NOT THE MAKERS, DISTRIBUTERS. OF GOODS, TRUCK DRIVERS. AND SOUNDMEN.. OF THINGS INTITLED TO A FAIR LIVING for a days work ?

WHAT IF YOUR BOSS COMES INTO YOUR WORK ONE DAY AND SAYS THERE WILL BE NOT PAYCHECK BECAUSE WALMART DECIDED TO GIVE AWAY ALL THE
PRODUCTS YOU MADE LAST WEEK. SO NO PAY FOR TWO WEEKS..
THEN YOU WOULD BE IRATE!!
AS A CHRISTIAN EMPLOYEE. WHY DO YOU CHARGE YOUR EMPLOYER A WAGE? YOU SHOULD YOU NOT SERVE ALL MANKIND
For FREE Like Jesus did ? ( hum why did Jesus have a Judas.. who was steward of the finances) .... that means he got finances from someplace .. even Gold in fishes mouths is money..

BY YOUR EXAM-PLES? he shouldn't have collected offerings or anything.. right? but maybe they did .. Paul and the apostles collected money to share around.
I know I struggle with soem of these issues also.. it is easy to get bitter about finances when you are poor. so pray for the Lord of the harvest to increase your income and out flow and give you more work to do.!

HE TELLS THE TAXES COLLECTORS TO TAKE THEIR PROPER SHARE > NOT MORE. He didnt tell them to work for free.. he tells no one ever to work for free.. that is impossible.. even ox get their grain..

PROVERBS MAKES IT CLEAR ... Mar 12:17

¶
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

1Ti 5:18

For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

so IF YOU/we DENY HIM HIS REWARD/PAY then YOU ARE A THIEF!
IF YOU/we DON'T PAY Y/OUR TITHE ( GOD'S SHARE for all his many blessings in all parts of your life and income ) Are you not JUST AS MUCH A THIEF, as anyone who would deny someone wage.. or a living right ?
There is a double standard hiding HERE.. AROUND THAT QUESTION..... we would never ask or expect ask any other sort of music companies OR SINGERS to play for free.. and their voices and their gifts came from the same God! just because they don't recognize it doesn't mean it isn't so.
We are to give God what is God's, AND that means our tithes and giftes of thanksgiving and our praise and worship and ourselves..
but we all are to work for a fair wage. cheating no man ever on that subject! And in all ways possible always blessing all men..

Old 06-08-2019, 08:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
As far as I can tell from the topic...Christian artists of any kind should make NO money.
Neither should Christian farmers, Christian mechanics, but, especially Christian pastors;
seems that would be the logic here.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:52 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
As far as I can tell from the topic...Christian artists of any kind should make NO money.
Neither should Christian farmers, Christian mechanics, but, especially Christian pastors;
seems that would be the logic here.
Exactly, If as a musician i decide to put an album together which could be considered christian,why would i ever consider giving it out free, if my trade is a musician?.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123

PSS. The same principal can be applied to Christian Counseling or anything else that Christians charge for but which Christ has given them abundantly of...for free. I don't know how many times I have been told that so and so, who really needs help, can't get it because they can't afford Christian counseling. I heard that last night from someone.

The answer was in the original post.

When it comes to spiritual/Bible things "you received free give free" applies. Even music a person writes, sings, records, etc., ABOUT some Bible subject.

A song that is not about the Bible can be charged for.

Simple. Give Biblical/Spiritual things, songs, sermons, prayers, etc., free.

Work at something else to make your living and get paid for it.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

The answer was in the original post.

When it comes to spiritual/Bible things "you received free give free" applies. Even music a person writes, sings, records, etc., ABOUT some Bible subject.

A song that is not about the Bible can be charged for.

Simple. Give Biblical/Spiritual things, songs, sermons, prayers, etc., free.

Work at something else to make your living and get paid for it.

Rubbish, every gift man is endowed with is a gift from God.Please don't try and tell me anything and i mean anything from God is not spiritual, for when God gives he gives of himself...... God is Spirit Are you suggesting we all work for free?.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Wonderful people inspire you to be wonderful. pcamps

Old 06-08-2019, 07:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Exactly, If as a musician i decide to put an album together which could be considered christian,why would i ever consider giving it out free, if my trade is a musician?.
As a struggling freelance writer in the 70s, I was often offered a byline in exchange for publication. No remuneration, just my name on a piece of work in a small-time giveaway that nobody reads.

I did it once or twice then wised up. If my time, and thought, and resultant words weren't worth paying for, then I might just as well spend that time fishing.

Later on, as I became a tad more successful, I chose to do the occasional bit of freebie writing to assist a friend or charitable organization.

I have a hunch that musicians who focus on Christian music might start off playing for free in church basements. But if they become good enough to record, they should be good enough to be paid - and mebbe tithe their royalties.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:16 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Context is the thing

Jesus Sends Out the Twelve Apostles

Mat 10:5 Jesus sent these twelve out, charging them, saying: Do not go into the way of the nations, and do not go into a Samaritan city.
Mat 10:6 But rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mat 10:7 And going on, proclaim, saying, The kingdom of Heaven has drawn near.
Mat 10:8 Heal sick ones, cleanse lepers, raise dead ones, cast out demons. You freely received, freely give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity