Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course not, freedom . . . but the "my" refers to Jesus . . . not the Jehovah in the savage descriptions in the OT that Jesus came to correct by example and teaching. Jesus has TWO commandments that cover the spiritual purpose of the original OT "training wheel" commandments.
You do realize that those commandments are in the savage descriptions of the OT as well

(Deuteronomy 6:5) 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I realize that, Fundy . . . the notion of the "spirit" of the law (its actual purpose) escapes you and the Kupps and all literalists and fundamentalists. God couldn't possibly want mere obedience to a specific set of rules just for the sake of making sure we are obedient to a specific set of rules. THAT is absurd and egotistical nonsense. The original OT commandments were designed to mellow savage carnal minds into some semblance of spirituality.

It still has the capability to do so with similar minds today. But that is not what our true goal is. We are to acquire the overall "state of mind" Jesus exhibited and taught in his PRIMARY commandments . . . love God and love each other . . . repent in true remorse when you falter and return to the proper "state of mind."
No what escapes me is the authority you base anything on since you refuse to use scripture- God's word for support. The ego is you thinking you can interpret scripture on your own.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
No what escapes me is the authority you base anything on since you refuse to use scripture- God's word for support. The ego is you thinking you can interpret scripture on your own.
You repeat this lie continually, Fundy . . . aren't you the least bit concerned that you do so supposedly in defense of God's word? Pretty gutsy or stupid, IMO. You know full well that I use scripture. I made this particular point clearly in response to Harold's use of Phil 2:12 to stress his obedience theme yet again. I suggest you read that use of scripture to enlighten yourself about the "spirit" of the law instead of the "letter." How can you believe our God would want such mindless obedience to such a few specific "laws" just to make sure we are obedient? Oh . . . I forgot . . . Glory (that human ego-boosting motive) . . . r i i i i i ght. Sad . . . very sad.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You repeat this lie continually, Fundy . . . aren't you the least bit concerned that you do so supposedly in defense of God's word? Pretty gutsy or stupid, IMO. You know full well that I use scripture. I made this particular point clearly in response to Harold's use of Phil 2:12 to stress his obedience theme yet again. I suggest you read that use of scripture to enlighten yourself about the "spirit" of the law instead of the "letter." How can you believe our God would want such mindless obedience to such a few specific "laws" just to make sure we are obedient? Oh . . . I frogt . . . Glory (that human ego-boosting motive) . . . r i i i i i ght. Sad . . . very sad.
and how may I ask is a lie? based on what? I say you preach heresey and this I have scripture to support me (ALL OF SCRIPTURE I USE). You don't use scripture other than the ones you like and discard the ones you don't calling it barbaric, carnal minded. so convenient

Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
I believe in Predestination. God elects or predestines people to salvation. The elect are all believers

(Romans 8:29–30) "29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. "

(Ephesians 1:5) 5 he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—
I think you might be misunderstanding the text?

Predestination is unto glorification not justification. Whom did God foreknow? The answer is those who are 'In Christ.' Now we know how one gets in Christ - by faith. So Paul is stating God's omniscience in regard to the fact of those who are in Christ. It is from this point that one is predestined. Therefore, predestination is according to foreknowlegde and is post 'in Christ.' One is not predestined to be in Christ but presdestined to be conformed to His image (resurrection) as a result of being in Christ.

Election is from the point of being in Christ not before. One is elect when they are in Him. This is why there is no predestination of unbelievers.

The adoption spoken of is not justification but glorification. See Rom.8:23 where we eagerly await for the adoption - the redemption of our body.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
if i could tell the op what he makes me think and feel while reading his question alone..

do you expect anyone to give an HONEST answer to such an inuendo?

wasted time and downgraded self-esteem!

But hey, freedom, you did make good on that meanwhile. tx.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I think you might be misunderstanding the text?

Predestination is unto glorification not justification. Whom did God foreknow? The answer is those who are 'In Christ.' Now we know how one gets in Christ - by faith. So Paul is stating God's omniscience in regard to the fact of those who are in Christ. It is from this point that one is predestined. Therefore, predestination is according to foreknowlegde and is post 'in Christ.' One is not predestined to be in Christ but presdestined to be conformed to His image (resurrection) as a result of being in Christ.

Election is from the point of being in Christ not before. One is elect when they are in Him. This is why there is no predestination of unbelievers.

The adoption spoken of is not justification but glorification. See Rom.8:23 where we eagerly await for the adoption - the redemption of our body.
No, no I didn't, the bible is full of verses of predestination

Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
No, no I didn't, the bible is full of verses of predestination
Yes I know - I did not deny predestination just your exegesis of them.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Yes I know - I did not deny predestination just your exegesis of them.
I totally agree with glorification and not justification.

(Ephesians 1:4) 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight in love

Your verse explaining.........

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-16-2009 at 09:30 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
Quote:
(Ephesians 1:4) 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love
Fundamentalist, i can read this too, but where can i pick it up on the way between you and me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity