Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times

Advertisements

Hebrews 1 has that "He is the exact representation of His (God's) nature.

*nature =hupostasis= used for a basis or foundation, subsistence, existence.

This means to me, God's essence, who He really is.

Quote:
A sight of Him should impress us with all that we could get by a vision of God... While seeking thus to define and limit the exact thought which lies in the term image, let no one imagine that Christ is not more than this. He is the image and glory of God (1 Cor. 11:7). The effigy of Caesar on the coin of the realm probably was not much to look at, much less to admire. But Christ is not a lifeless representation but a life-giving illumination. If our eyes are open, we see Him as He appeared on the mount, not with a halo above His head, but enveloped in an aura of glory, which is God's. In fact, the glory of the Deity is not within the range of human sight, so He is the effulgence, the radiant glory of the invisible Deity (Heb.1:3). He is all that an image ought to be, the ideal representation of the most marvelous Original. Seeing Christ, we see Him Whom no man has seen or can see.
A.E. Knoch

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-20-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hebrews 1 has that "He is the exact representation of His (God's) nature.

*nature =hupostasis= used for a basis or foundation, subsistence, existence.

This means to me, God's essence, who He really is.

A.E. Knoch

God bless.
The KJV (Hebrews 1:3) says that Christ is the express image of his [i.e. the Father's] person." If you are using the word "essence" to mean "nature," and if you are using "nature" to refer to those qualities that make them "God," then I'm okay with the Father and the Son having the same essence. If you're referring to physical makeup, on the other hand, I'm not.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The KJV (Hebrews 1:3) says that Christ is the express image of his [i.e. the Father's] person." If you are using the word "essence" to mean "nature," and if you are using "nature" to refer to those qualities that make them "God," then I'm okay with the Father and the Son having the same essence. If you're referring to physical makeup, on the other hand, I'm not.
Okay here's where the confusion lies. Shana asked for the defintion of the word 'image' I gave her this...

image #1504. eikon i-kone' from 1503; a likeness, i.e. (literally) statue, profile, or (figuratively) representation, resemblance:--image.

#1503. eiko i'-ko apparently a primary verb (perhaps akin to 1502 through the idea of faintness as a copy); to resemble:--be like

However in the passage in Hebrews the defintion is for 'express image' and is this:

#5481. charakter khar-ak-tare' from the same as 5482; a graver (the tool or the person), i.e. (by implication) engraving (("character"), the figure stamped, i.e. an exact copy or (figuratively) representation):--express image.

I didn't know she was talking about the passage in Hebrews or I would have given the last defintion,not the first.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Okay here's where the confusion lies. Shana asked for the defintion of the word 'image' I gave her this...

image #1504. eikon i-kone' from 1503; a likeness, i.e. (literally) statue, profile, or (figuratively) representation, resemblance:--image.

#1503. eiko i'-ko apparently a primary verb (perhaps akin to 1502 through the idea of faintness as a copy); to resemble:--be like

However in the passage in Hebrews the defintion is for 'express image' and is this:

#5481. charakter khar-ak-tare' from the same as 5482; a graver (the tool or the person), i.e. (by implication) engraving (("character"), the figure stamped, i.e. an exact copy or (figuratively) representation):--express image.

I didn't know she was talking about the passage in Hebrews or I would have given the last defintion,not the first.
Okay, well to me it sounds as if the word "image" is the representation of physical qualities or attributes. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single example of how I would use the word in everyday language to mean anything else.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, well to me it sounds as if the word "image" is the representation of physical qualities or attributes. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single example of how I would use the word in everyday language to mean anything else.
Oh I totally agree I believe the Hebrew passage is one of many places the Bible tells us Jesus was, God the Word made flesh.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Quote:
i.e. an exact copy or (figuratively) representation):--express image.
It looks like the same thing, mshipmate. charakter=representation, express image.

Quote:
I am not referring to physical makeup, but I believe that Jesus is the exact representation of the Father's nature, essence. He reflects the Father to us, shows us who God is. When we "see" Jesus, we are "seeing" the Father. I believe that Jesus is God relatively speaking, but that God the Father is the original and I believe that the Father is greater than Jesus, who reflects Him. This does not take anything away from the divinity of Jesus. God gave Him the name above every name, and He is King of kings, and Lord of Lords. He is God's representative, reveals the invisible God to us. I know that believers disagree, but this is how I understand with God's help.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-20-2009 at 08:47 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that Jesus is God relatively speaking, but that God the Father is the original and I believe that the Father is greater than Jesus, who reflects Him. This does not take anything away from the divinity of Jesus. God gave Him the name above every name, and He is King of kings, and Lord of Lords. He is God's representative, reveals the invisible God to us. I know that believers disagree, but this is how I understand with God's help.
Well, this believer agrees with you. You've said pretty much the same thing on several occasions, and every time you've said it, I've thought, "".

Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM

904 posts, read 687,627 times
Why callest thou me good, there is one that is good, God.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
shawn,
Are these the only words you read from my entire post?
Know that is not the only thing that I read. I was saying that Jesus is more than a Son, because of all the scriptures that you posted prove that He is more than a Son, He is God. Only God can do what you listed. I was not disagreeing with you.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:06 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
John 8:58, " , "I tell you the truth, '' Jesus answered, ''before Abraham was born, I AM!''

God gave his name in the OT, I AM

Exodus 3:14 , '' God said to Moses, '' I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ' I AM has sent me to you."

Isaiah 43:10 '' YOu are my witnesses, '' declares the LORD, '' and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I AM He. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.''

God is God and our minds can't wrap our minds around everything about God. Can you explain how your shoes were put together, or how you engine works, or how the sun stays where it is so we don't burn up? If people can't understand these things, then how can we understand everything about God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity