Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times

Advertisements

I stole this post from another forum I frequent, I have modified it slightly but the original poster has some very good points.

Tipping over the money tables do you know how many times Jesus accused the apostels of having little faith? He often used words like hypocrite, Ye of little faith,
Do the words spare the rod spoil the child.. ring a bell, How about do not cast your pearls before swine, you are of your father the devil ...Get thee behind me... I never knew you... He let the hebrews wonder in the desert for 40 years, he let Moses die before getting to the promiseed land etc.. etc.. the bible is full of tough love ...
Psalms13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him
Hebrews12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
These are just a few of the Words and things Jesus said or in Gods Word telling people its ok to partake in blasphemy and deny Christ when they profess with their own mouths they have seen him and know he is real ...because their feelings got hurt .... is wrong ....We can have compassion and sympathy for things that caused this persons pain but we are not to encourage them down these paths ...

Feel free to add to the list, but we all know that Jesus believes in tough love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 PM

904 posts, read 687,476 times
Disciple
Discipline

Old 02-18-2009, 02:41 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
seems so. his love was uncompromising with the toughness of those not understanding.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
seems so. his love was uncompromising with the toughness of those not understanding.
As we all should be uncompromising.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
As we all should be uncompromising.
it did not come in any form of hostility, but clarity.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
it did not come in any form of hostility, but clarity.
I know, just wanted to agree. I dont think I have seen you hostile so I dont take your posts as hostile.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM

16 posts, read 33,053 times
Where in the bible are we told to show tough love? On the contrary, are we not told to be gentle and humble in spirit? Who are we to judge whether someone deserves tough love ?...

1 Corinthians 4:20-21

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a whip, or in love and with a gentle spirit?

2 Corinthians 10:1-3

By the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you—I, Paul, who am "timid" when face to face with you, but "bold" when away! I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world. For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.

Ephesians 4:1-3

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Colossians 3:11-13

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

1 Thessalonians 2:6-8

As apostles of Christ we could have been a burden to you, but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children. We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us.

1 Peter 3:14-16

But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened."But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:52 PM

T-Na, I am merely pointing out the words of Christ and how he spoke to others. We are commanded to learn from His example and this to me would be the perfect example of what He means by humble and gentle. Is it possible that His humble and gentle mean speak the truth even if it hurts?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
T-Na, I am merely pointing out the words of Christ and how he spoke to others. We are commanded to learn from His example and this to me would be the perfect example of what He means by humble and gentle. Is it possible that His humble and gentle mean speak the truth even if it hurts?

there lies (!) the error. it's not the truth that hurts, but the obvious disharmony between it and the falsehood using its language ...

hearing the difference, because it's sound and light keeping us alive spiritually and physically. dissonances can be felt as they affect our health.

or this feeling can be totally suppressed.. as demonstrated by the tough ones.

(imho)

Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 PM

16 posts, read 33,053 times
Quote:
Is it possible that His humble and gentle mean speak the truth even if it hurts?
If the truth hurts, then you are simply not being humble and gentle to begin with..... DUH !!!

We should pray for wisdom to present the truth without hurting ... it's perfectly possible, if only we'd try !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity