Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
LOL...you also hafta understand that I live in a 4 story row home. lol. So there's at least 2 sets of stairs that can make being drunk even more dangerous to me than to the "average pedestrian!" lol! And I also don't want my co-workers having to pick my drunk A$$ up and haul me to the hopstial. lol!
LOL, think i saw the steel magnolias on your window sill..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Good on ya! Alcoholism is a choice, not a disease. You should be proud of yourself for having a handle on it, given your genetic disposition.
Then how do you explain that some people get so addicted that they can't function unless drunk, and then I, like many people, can have one drink and be done with it?

People choose to drink, but you can't choose how it will effect you. It never did make me "wild", but rather tired, so I've never been one of those poeple who could drink a case of beer or a bottle of whiskey.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 AM

963 posts, read 689,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I don't drink alcohol anymore. I gave it up when my father almost died due to alcoholism. He still drinks as does my mom...I refuse to drink because I see what havoc it's wreaked in my family. Alcoholism runs rampant in the rest of my family too....so I choose to step back.
My father was an alcoholic. He eventually gave it up. Maybe to a drunk, it seems "cool," but to the family and friends, they're an embarrassment to themselves and those around them. Seeing your father passed out in public smelling of urine and alcohol isn't "cool."

Moderator cut:
Deleted as spam

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 09:44 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,316 times
Why do people get plastered, annihilated, trashed, sauced or rip-roarin drunk?

I can't speak for others but at times I do it to because it is a great way to release the stress of having to deal with the hypocrites, cafeteria Christians and other "better than thou" folks who spout off in the name of Jesus. The need is even stronger when these fake Christians come to my church and try to cause trouble.

The more relevant question is why don't more of us get drunk?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
"Hey baby, you ever run with the bulls in Spain?"
Funny.. I've said that exact same thing..

Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Interestingly today's Gospel reading in the Catholic Church is;

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy
from carousing and drunkenness
and the anxieties of daily life,
and that day catch you by surprise like a trap.
For that day will assault everyone
who lives on the face of the earth.
Be vigilant at all times
and pray that you have the strength
to escape the tribulations that are imminent and to stand before the Son of Man.”

Luke 21:34-36

Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
It completely deals with the manner and attitude people have when they drink, and why they drink.

My family always had a large group of friends, and they use to have some PAR-TAYS when I was growing up. They'd just get totally smashed, but you know what, every single time they had the absolute time of their lives. I was never neglected, I always got to go to my grandparents for the night - which I loved and so did they (my grandparents).

I drink with my parents now, and whew do we get pretty sloshed sometimes, but wow if I end up laughing more than I had in weeks each time.

I love going out with my friends and getting a little overserved, it's always just a hilarious and fun time. We don't drink to escape reality or cope, we drink because at the end of the day it's just FUN for us.

On the flip side you have the people who drink and become just cruel and angry. I know people growing up who wouldn't go anywhre near alcohol because their dad or parents would get drunk and violent. I can totally see that side of the story, but I don't agree when people just write drinking off as "EVIL".

Old 10-31-2009, 06:37 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,945 times
You ought to live in the Bible Belt. It's awfuly nuts here. People drink in private, but in public, drinking is bad.

Anywho, I have ONE beer daily. One. I have never been drunk, nor have I had a desire to be so. Sure, I have had friends who drink so much that they puke up blood. Is that supposed to be fun? Not for me. And I sure hope not for them. It's not fun when someone is so sick that they are praying at you to take them to the hospital.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,940 times
I used to get drunk every so often. Then for a period of several months, because I was depressed, I drank heavily every day. I drank whiskey or vodka or peppermint schnapps, on the rocks or even at room temperature -- candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker, as the saying goes. When I realized it was making me even more depressed, I quit drinking and switched to healthier drugs.

Now I can enjoy an occasional beer or glass of wine without the temptation to drink until I barf or pass out. That is not fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity