Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,359 times

Advertisements

What is the Christian answer to loneliness? (and please don't say your relationship with God or Jesus; because you know as well as I do that sometimes that just isn't enough) If God created us for companionship, why doesn't He make it possible for everyone to have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalScorpio View Post
What is the Christian answer to loneliness? (and please don't say your relationship with God or Jesus; because you know as well as I do that sometimes that just isn't enough) If God created us for companionship, why doesn't He make it possible for everyone to have it?

wow - typical Scorpio question and questioning. you have identified the problem. the way to solving it may be painful, but your (pre-)disposition appears to be strong and good.

(no, i'm not an astrologer!)

Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Scorpio, people need people. I believe with all my heart that there are many companions for you..God will not necessarily bring them front and center to you, my friend..You have to seek out people..You have to smile at people, be friendly, go places where people are..Just doing those things can break the cycle of loneliness even if you don't strike a friendship..Even making friends in a forum can help with loneliness

Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
Quote:
He does.......

Years ago mom had a friend who ran a small business. One day mom saw him at the grocery store where he introduced mom to his new wife. She was from another country, and he had negotiated for her with her father. When mom asked why he didn't marry a local girl, as there were a lot of single women in the area available, he said "All I ever meet here are bar flies and sleazy women. I had to go somewhere where there were women with old fashioned values." When mom told me the story, she shook her head and said "If all he was meeting were 'bar flies and sleazy women' maybe he should have changed where he was hanging out."

If you aren't meeting the kind of person you want for a companion, perhaps you should change the location of where you hang out. And remember the basic fundamentals of meeting someone......be clean, be nice, be fun, be receptive to people, retain your integrity. No one wants to go out with a filthy person, no one wants a companion that is always griping and complaining and ugly, no one will try to meet you and develop a relationship if you refuse to talk or open up, and no one wants a long term relationship with someone who is too easy. The "community chest" might be fun to play with briefly, but no one serious wants to live with it for any length of time............

Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM

112 posts, read 581,741 times
What kind of loneliness are you talking about? Are you single and looking for a mate or for friends? God gives some people the gift of being single and to others the gift of marriage. I would pray about it. I know what your going through. I have a wonderful friend, whose male, at our church and he's single. It hurts him cause everyone else is married and has kids. He wants that so bad but hasn't found the right person yet. He wants a Christian woman not just anyone. I think that if he's willing to wait for that right person God will bring her into his life. While he is single he doesn't waist this time to do good for the Lord. He leads songs, preachers, teaches on Sunday nights, does all kinds of things. He makes good use of his time waiting on God to act. I admire that!!!!!!!!!!!! If you would like friends I strongly advice that you get involved with a church group or Bible study. That's how I made lots of friends when I moved into town two years ago. And I'm still making friends. Pray that the Lord will bring a companion(s) into your life. Always have a smile on your face and a joyful attitude and you'll draw people to you. Good luck and God Bless!!!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,696 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear of your loneliness, but I'm single and living for Christ and I'm having the time of my life. I prefer to stay single, because I don't want to be distracted.

Don't get me wrong I have guy friends that I hang out with, but like I said before that Christ is the only one that I give all my attention too.

So, for now I love this life. If God wants me to get married, then He has to tell me that, until then, I'm having a blast being single and living for God.

I'm not close minded to relationships, but that not all life is. Some people say they can't make it without someone by their side. They just have to have someone they make them whole or complete.

I'm single, I have fun with my friends and guy friends, I enjoy life, but put God first. There nothing really more important than God.

Like today, I'm so full of joy that I can't help but smile and laugh, and that person that put that smile on my face was God. Most people say that you can't be that happy and single. But I am. I have dated in the past, so I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything.

So, once again sorry to hear of your loneliness, and allow God to feel that void in your life and wait for the right person to come.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:52 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,521 times
Quote:
dude look around you. You are never alone! Never. Unless you want to be alone. In which case your loneliness is in your mind and by choice. GOD DIDNT PUT YOU IN AN ISLAND WHERE THERE'S NOT A LIVING SOUL.... THERE PEOPLE ALL AROUND YOU, PEOPLE WHO NEED YOU AND I THINK THE QUESTION HERE IS DO YOU SEE YOURSELF TAKING THE TIME TO BE THERE FOR SOMEONE ELSE AND NOT WHY GOD DOES NOT GIVE US COMPANIONS, FOR HE HAS.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:24 PM

10 posts, read 22,055 times
There are millions of lonely peole around us. I can tell you that just because you have a relationship or are married does not mean you will never be lonely. Loneliness is a part of life, just as sickness, fear, joy, etc...
I was alone and single for ten years and my husband was 35 when we got married. Marriage is wonderful, but it is not a cure for loneliness. Be happy while you wait!!!!! There is a whole world out there to enjoy. Find something that you are interested in doing. Visit the nursing home, hospitals,
shut-ins. You will find that the more you reach out, the more you will find how wonderful you really have it. Things are never as bad as they seem. And you will bring a world of joy to those who really are alone. (Some patients in nursing homes rarely ever get a visitor.)
God will send you a partner when He sees fit. Then you may someday wish to be alone for awhile. Especially after the kids come! (I'm speaking from experience!) smile.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:42 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
There is a difference between feeling lonely, and being alone.

And you are not alone.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
There is a difference between feeling lonely, and being alone.

And you are not alone.

sounds like one has to believe it, often repeated, rarely experienced, and hardly ever communicated accordingly! Let alone in a continuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity