Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times

Advertisements

In reading this man's perspective about the creation account, I thought it had many points that likely have merit...it's worth having a look at, and to think about:

Amazing Bible Discoveries - Making Sense of the Six Day Creation

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
It's junk science and nothing more. The article claimed there is no evidence that life spanned millions of years. That is completely wrong, so I felt compelled to stop reading.

The six day creation account is not literal. It's an allegorical story about why God created the universe, not how.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's junk science and nothing more. The article claimed there is no evidence that life spanned millions of years. That is completely wrong, so I felt compelled to stop reading.

The six day creation account is not literal. It's an allegorical story about why God created the universe, not how.
Allegorical being the key word here. I wonder why people feel compelled to prove a literal six day Creation. Why does their faith require it? I just don't get it why there is so much immature understanding of things in our culture.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 PM

224 posts, read 405,588 times
I agree, it is allegorical. It was not a literal six days. The Scriptures are full of allegories, I say over half if not more of the Bible is allegorical.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 AM

234 posts, read 238,463 times
Wow, the seven day week has survived for 6000 years after being based on an allegory? Or is it perhaps that God fully intended the week to last because He established it as a witness to His Creative power.
Let me remind you of what the gospel is all about. It is about worship. And we worship God because He is worthy. Why is God worthy of our worship? Because He is our Creator.
Revelation 14:6 ¶ And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Here folks is God's own testimony written by His own hand on tables of stone. Not an allegory, fable, myth, or lie. Either you believe God, or you don't. It isn't about science, logic, reason, or intelligence. It is about who and what you trust. Is God a liar?

Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
Wow, the seven day week has survived for 6000 years after being based on an allegory? Or is it perhaps that God fully intended the week to last because He established it as a witness to His Creative power.
Let me remind you of what the gospel is all about. It is about worship. And we worship God because He is worthy. Why is God worthy of our worship? Because He is our Creator.
Revelation 14:6 ¶ And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Here folks is God's own testimony written by His own hand on tables of stone. Not an allegory, fable, myth, or lie. Either you believe God, or you don't. It isn't about science, logic, reason, or intelligence. It is about who and what you trust. Is God a liar?
Man created the days of the week, not God. Man created the bible, not God. Our planet is at least 4 billion years old. Science can prove that. Man has been here for at least 100,000 years. We have fossils dating well over 6000 years of human beings. Just because something from the bible is interpreted to mean something, doesn't mean it's interpreted correctly.

Yes, we worship God. We don't worship the bible because the bible can do nothing for you. Sure, there are things in the bible that can help you on your journey but it's not to be worshipped as God or His word. The day will come when your eyes and ears will be opened. Until then, be blessed and be love. Live life in the moment instead of dwelling on the past cause it's gone and you can't change it. The moment you are in is all you have.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:22 AM

234 posts, read 238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Man created the days of the week, not God. Man created the bible, not God. Our planet is at least 4 billion years old. Science can prove that. Man has been here for at least 100,000 years. We have fossils dating well over 6000 years of human beings. Just because something from the bible is interpreted to mean something, doesn't mean it's interpreted correctly.

Yes, we worship God. We don't worship the bible because the bible can do nothing for you. Sure, there are things in the bible that can help you on your journey but it's not to be worshipped as God or His word. The day will come when your eyes and ears will be opened. Until then, be blessed and be love. Live life in the moment instead of dwelling on the past cause it's gone and you can't change it. The moment you are in is all you have.
If you are willing therefore to throw out the Ten Commandments which directly testify to a six day creation, then you might as well throw out the entire Bible. Your religion then is of your own devising and is as reliable and trustworthy as as the fig leaves Adam and Eve dressed themselves in to cover their shame.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,976 times
Quote:
If you are willing therefore to throw out the Ten Commandments which directly testify to a six day creation, then you might as well throw out the entire Bible. Your religion then is of your own devising and is as reliable and trustworthy as as the fig leaves Adam and Eve dressed themselves in to cover their shame.
If you are referring to the sabbth, you have interpreted it wrong. The sabbath is a day of rest from the world, not from doing anything. It's a time to reflect on life, beauty, goodness, peace, joy, hope, forgiveness and mercy. A day to return to Love. It's not about days of the week or what God would have you not do. I'd explain the rest of what the "six days" mean but you still wouldn't get it so I'll leave it at that.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Allegorical being the key word here. I wonder why people feel compelled to prove a literal six day Creation. Why does their faith require it? I just don't get it why there is so much immature understanding of things in our culture.
They claim if Adam and the Fall wasn't real, there was no reason for Christ.

Which doesn't make much sense, since we are not accountable for our ancestors sins anyway according to the Bible, and we all sin, regardless of what Adam might have done. A savior is needed no matter what happened in Genesis.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Why is it that most Jews reject a literal Genesis, and have for hundreds of years? Genesis is a Jewish book, not a Christian. Even St. Augustine warned Christians of speaking so idiotically as to call Genesis literal in the face of science.

Science has without a doubt disproven a literal Genesis, for hundreds of years. To claim it's 100% literal is to call God a deceiver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity