Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 AM

26 posts, read 315,087 times

Advertisements

Do you think that's symbolism or do you believe that's ACTUALLY the body of christ?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 AM

52 posts, read 90,203 times
John 6:53 Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:13 AM

52 posts, read 90,203 times
So yes, when I attend Eucharist, I am receiving the actual body and blood of Jesus Christ. For those who truly understand what the mass is, it is an amazing experience.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudagrass View Post
Do you think that's symbolism or do you believe that's ACTUALLY the body of christ?

They say they do, at least.

There's not a lot of scriptural support for the concept, despite the obligatory, misquoted John, 6.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:27 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
That would be Catholics specifically that believe that, not Christians in general. I do not believe that.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:47 PM

304 posts, read 904,717 times
I was taught in Lutheran LCMS confirmation that it is the true body and blood of Jesus Christ. In non-demo churches I've attended it's symbolic.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,010 times
Yes.....It is truly the flesh, blood, and divinity of Jesus Christ. Just as God hid in the appearance of man, so is with him hiding in the appearance of bread and wine.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:49 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCatholic View Post
John 6:53 Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
John 6:60-63
Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Jesus was being figurative about the eating of his flesh and drinking of his blood.

AS it is written ... no man shall live by bread along, but by the word(logos) that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Even the disciples understood wrongly him to mean literally carnally eat his flesh and drink his blood. They didn't understand either and Jesus rebuked them. People still making the same error today.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:57 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
I just recently came to understand that Catholics believe it literally. I was astounded.

I think it's just another symbolic gesture that has been miscontrued as literal and where common sense has left the building.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:02 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
John 6:60-63
Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Jesus was being figurative about the eating of his flesh and drinking of his blood.

AS it is written ... no man shall live by bread along, but by the word(logos) that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Even the disciples understood wrongly him to mean literally carnally eat his flesh and drink his blood. They didn't understand either and Jesus rebuked them. People still making the same error today.
No, How did jesus rebuke him, He repeated him self three times.......Lets THOUSANDS of people leave, and then asked the apostles if they wanted to leave too. Where is this rebuking?

and your whole bolded spot is just Jesus's way of saying LISTEN UP.....WHAT I'M SAYING IS IMPORTANT

What about the last supper? this IS MY FLESH, this IS MY BLOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity