Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:05 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,768,660 times

Advertisements

Its the same thing ... Just as eat and drink sustain our flesh, it is the word of God that sustains our spirit. The flesh profits nothing, it is the spirit that is quickened. I wont argue with you your a good catholic i'm sure ... My words are only a witness.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
You should really know that it is Catholics you are addressing with this question, not the myriad other forms of Christianity.

That said, I find it far more beautiful and intriguing to see it as a ritualistic symbol rather than having to convince oneself that this piece of bread is a body (and I was a Catholic altar server, so I know well what it is and where it comes from).

It's pretty silly. The ritual of symbolically consuming one's savior is quite beautiful, though.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:31 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,308,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudagrass View Post
Do you think that's symbolism or do you believe that's ACTUALLY the body of christ?
WEll, when you eat the bread, it is not the real flesh of Christ, and when you drink, it is not the real blood of Christ. So, it represents what Christ did. This is how I look it.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
WEll, when you eat the bread, it is not the real flesh of Christ, and when you drink, it is not the real blood of Christ. So, it represents what Christ did. This is how I look it.
But, technically, to be Catholic one must believe it is literally the body and blood of Christ.

Kind of sheds light on the whole literal versus symbolic arguments for a myriad of Christian beliefs.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,308,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
But, technically, to be Catholic one must believe it is literally the body and blood of Christ.

Kind of sheds light on the whole literal versus symbolic arguments for a myriad of Christian beliefs.
Well, I'm not Catholic, so I can't say about there belief.

But Christ is actually in heaven, and we are to remember what He did, that is why we drink and eat the bread.

I'm not speaking against their belief, but that is not real blood in the cup, and it is not real flesh that we are eating. It is only a symbol of what we are doing. But if Catholics want to believe that they are drinking real blood and eating flesh, well that is their belief.

But me, I know and understand that it is only a symbol of what it actually means.

Jesus said, concerning the bread,
“This do in remembrance of me” (I Corinthians 11:24).

And concerning the cup, Jesus also said,
“This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me”
(I Corinthians 11:25).

So, Jesus is saying when you eat the bread, do this in remembrance of me, He didn't say that the bread was actually real life flesh, but a symbol of His flesh. It's still bread.

When Jesus is talking about the drink, He is saying do it in remembrance of me, not that His actual blood would be in the cut, but only a symbol of His blood. It's only juice, some may use wine

When you are drinking and eating of the drink and bread, it means coming to Christ and remembering Him. John 6:37,

It means that the convert leaves behind all other hopes of salvation, and actually comes to the risen Christ. Thus, the convert partakes of the flesh and blood of Christ. The convert is united to Christ by faith.
It means that whoever receives Christ has eternal life now.

But once again, if other people want to believe and say that they are drinking blood and eating flesh, then they are more welcome to do so. But in my case, I am going to use common sense and understand what it symbolizes.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,347,717 times
As Christian who believes by faith that the Holy Spirit nourishes me through the word, and as one who also believes that Christ is the word made flesh, it's not a giant leap for me as a Catholic, to also eat the "bread" of life.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,284,973 times
Good evening, folks!

To those who have posted on this thread, please know that the thread was closed due to the nature of some of the posts that needed to be deleted.

Please know that it was done for that reason alone.

If anyone wishes to start a thread on the Eucharist, that's fine. But out of respect to members of the Catholic faith, it needs to be done with sincerity.

-June

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.