Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:20 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,208,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hi All, I am new to this forum and recently have skimmed though a few threads. Now, I can't find them. I thought I was a knowledgeable, devout Christian but something I read has been nagging me and I am kind of embarrassed by it. So, here's my question...

If God knew Adam and Eve's outcome, why did he tempt them?

Also, I know the story of Satan, so why was he created by God, again, if
God knew the outcome?

I have my own theory but think I need to learn more to fully understand. Please, no bashing!

Quote:
I agree. But has anyone else wondered what it would be like if God didn't allow sin to enter His world? Maybe that's more what I am questioning?

Quote:
I believe that Adam, Eve and Satan did exactly as God predestined them to do, and scripture tells us that none of us can resist His will. That, of course, opens up another can of worms regarding salvation of the lost - but you can guess where I stand on that as well.
I agree with little elmer. God knows beginning to end and with this knowledge brought the creation into existence, knowing what would happen. He planted the trees in the garden and placed the serpent in the garden. He knew what would transpire and this for His purpose for making man into His image. I believe. All things are out of Him. (Romans 11:36) He created the serpent for a purpose. I believe that He gave us the experience of evil to teach us many things, for example, how dependent we are on Him, and how we need to trust Him and not put our trust in ourselves. Only He is our Savior, and we would never know Him as our Savior/Deliverer if we never experienced sin and needed to be saved. What is good health to someone who has only known good health? There are many things that we learn from the experience of evil, how to choose good over evil, how to develop faith and trust in God, persistence, long suffering, empathy for others, compassion, forgivenss, agape love for others, peace in the midst of the storm, for example, and also to realize the nature and depth of God's love for us which we would not fully appreciate if we had never experienced what is like to be lost, without hope, an enemy of God. God truly loves us inspite of how far we sink into sin. So I believe that everything happened for a purpose, God's purpose. What did Adam really know about the love and goodness of God before He fell? Evidently he was lacking because if he had not been lacking in something, he would have never disobeyed God. He would have known better. I believe the whole experience is part of God's purpose in molding and teaching us, making us into His image. What do you believe? God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-09-2009 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,406,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Thank you for responding. I understand all that you are saying. However, I look at it that God did indeed tempt them (did he not make the law and did he not put that tree and serpent there) knowing full well they would fail. I understand free will and Jesus dying on the cross redeeming us from our sins. When I look at the world today, it just seems like God's plan has run amok. All this free will.....
Yeah I see it this way too! Why didn't god send "the serpent" to Mars or Pluto?! Or just to hell?! Seems like he just wanted to mess with us or something. How cruel.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,581,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Yeah I see it this way too! Why didn't god send "the serpent" to Mars or Pluto?! Or just to hell?! Seems like he just wanted to mess with us or something. How cruel.
Yes he created us with free will and still gives us a way into heaven. How cruel

Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,311,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Hi All, I am new to this forum and recently have skimmed though a few threads. Now, I can't find them. I thought I was a knowledgeable, devout Christian but something I read has been nagging me and I am kind of embarrassed by it. So, here's my question...

If God knew Adam and Eve's outcome, why did he tempt them?

Also, I know the story of Satan, so why was he created by God, again, if
God knew the outcome?

I have my own theory but think I need to learn more to fully understand. Please, no bashing!
God did not tempt Adam and Eve, Satan did that. Adam and Eve had free-will.

God created an angel named Lucifer who wanted what God had. He rebelled against God and was cast down to earth. Angels were created for many things, worship, to assist us, and many more. If you really want to know why God created Lucifer, then you will have to ask Him.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Yes he created us with free will and still gives us a way into heaven. How cruel
LOL, I agee with you God gives us the path to Heaven. All we have to do is stay on it. That path is Jesus.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,406,507 times
No we don't have FREE will. If the bible is true then we have to follow GOD'S will...how's that free will? Oh I know, we are free to choose heaven or hell. Wow what a choice!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,581,959 times
Quote:
No we don't have FREE will. If the bible is true then we have to follow GOD'S will...how's that free will? Oh I know, we are free to choose heaven or hell. Wow what a choice!

You don't understand free will
. The bible is very clear that if we had our choice we will ALWAYS reject God because we are carnal by nature, we are at enmity with Him. It would be impossible to choose God because we are spiritually dead inside.
If you are in your car and chose to turn left but then you chose to turn right then you have free will, if you wanted to commit a crime then you have free will. We don't choose God. God chooses us. When God calls on us gives us the gift of faith which enables us to repent and put our trust in Him.

We are ALL heading for hell, this is mankind's path our destiny without God, its the ones who hear His voice and repent and turn back.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 03-10-2009 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,198,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe the whole experience is part of God's purpose in molding and teaching us, making us into His image. What do you believe? God bless.
I believe it appears that King James' translaters followed the natural way of thinking and slanted towards free will. The problem is, they left too much declaration of the sovereignty and infinitude of God to base that upon.

Any question of spiritual matters must begin with what is true about God - not the frailty of mankind.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 AM

777 posts, read 1,443,073 times
Quote:
Our default destination is already hell.
he that believeth not is condemned already
But we CAN choose to change it.
That IS a choice.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
DaniMae you are so confused and lost. If Adam and Eve did not have free will they wouldn't have ate from the tree, because that was their choice.

If you did not have free will like you said, then you would not have the choice to not follow God, it would be mandatory.

Yes we have the choice of Heaven and Hell. If Jesus had not done what He did for us, then we would only have Hell! So, your free to choose Hell if you like, but for me I choose life.

You say we don't have free will, So is God making you following and obey His law, from your post, I would say that you are freely choosing other wise.

You said that you studied the bible and researched the bible, but when you, let just say bible talk, your words say other wise. I don't think that you did much reading or studying.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 03-10-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity