Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Why? I said they went crazy.. lost their mind.. biological imbalance in the head..
Do you have a case study by any chance? (seriously ).

Quote:
But different people believe differently about what it takes to be saved.. I'm talking worldwide.. There isn't only one interpretation.. there are many truths. JMO
Again, what does the Bible say?

Quote:
Its the same view as far as the end game. Different roads leading to the same place.

The examples aren't illustrative of me.. I'm far grom a good person.
All roads lead to heaven? What does the Bible say about that?

Quote:
So its not the trinity then.. Its father, son, holy spirit and bible.

I tend to place more emphasis in the holy spirit..

What I was talking about is it takes more than text. Its much deeper than text (in my view)
The Word = Jesus You place more emphasis on the Holy Spirit than God or Jesus? Why? Jesus is the text. The Holy Spirit guides us in our understanding of the text and He guides in conviction and our walk in Christ.

Quote:
I guess that is just so odd to me.. Its like a teacher teaching math and being so sure about something and then being asked a question and saying.. "thats a little beyond my reasoning".

Wouldn't it be easier then to just say I don't know.. however, this is what I believe and I wouldn't dare trample on what you believe.

Just a thought. I mean if you don't know all how can you be so sure about what you think you know?
Who can claim to be as wise as God? Who can claim to know all things besides God? What's the difference between me saying "I don't know" and "leaving it to God"? We never stop learning about Him. That's why we must continue to study the Word until we die. We will never reach our limit of knowledge of God. The more we study Him, the more He reveals to us. But even a child can understand what it means to have salvation through Jesus Christ. The message is quite simple to understand and gives those who believe confidence that they, in fact, know.

Quote:
ahh square 1 again. You have your absolute truth regarding salvation according to your interpretation of context of the text.

we agree to disagree..
Can you point to Scripture that defines salvation? What Scripture do you use to define your own?

Quote:
No. What you can say is that person isn't saved according to your interpretation of what it means to be saved.. its their salvation according to what YOU believe. Rightfully so you think you are right.. but that doesn't mean you ARE right. Its right for your truth.
Do you know what the Gospel says? Would you mind sharing what you believe (there's that word again ) it means?

Quote:
I think its well researched.. but honestly I'd have to go back and look at the context of every sentence you posted.. it could take awhile. I'm not being snarky.. just truthful.
No worries. My main concern is what you interpret the Scriptures to say about salvation. Feel free to comment on the Scripture I posted or provide additional ones.

Quote:
Its just a different thread honestly.. it gets into salvation and what is required. I'd love to start the thread but it might be better if a different person started a thread like that. I'd title it something like "What does it take to be saved"
I think this thread is appropriate, especially since we are having such a civil discussion.

So back to the OP--what is your definition of a Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:21 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,738 times
Boy, this thread has spread fast.
my definition of a Christian?
There is only one way...through the blood of Jesus.
Believe in Him.
As for baptism, the Sabbath, etc?
I always refer to a few verses in Romans...
Specifically Romans 13:9 "For the commandements, "You shall not commit adultery," "you shall not murder." "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness." "You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

If you continue you reading in Romans 14 you will also find that we are not to judge others and that one person may find one day holier than another and still another may find every day alike....but in either situation, we should simply be sure in our minds of what we believe.

This, plain and simply, is why I never argue about people who say you must observe the sabbath....or you must go to church on Sunday...or you must be baptized to be saved.... For me, as long as one is saved through the blood of Jesus Christ and is living their lives according to what they interpret the bible to mean, then I/they are fine. Believe in your heart that you are doing God's will. This is just my OP and I do not state these things to sway anyone's opinion. Just be sure in your heart that what you are doing is right.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Do you have a case study by any chance? (seriously ).
Off the top of my head..

Wife who shot preacher guilty of manslaughter - CNN.com

Quote:
Again, what does the Bible say?
So your assume all the people around the world who have different (even if the most slightly different) ideas about salvation are NOT referencing the bible for their belief? Come on.. They are all reading the same book. You know that. So asking what the Bible says gets us again.. back to square 1.

Quote:
All roads lead to heaven? What does the Bible say about that?
I never said that. I said:

"Different roads leading to the same place."

Different doesn't mean all.

Quote:
The Word = Jesus You place more emphasis on the Holy Spirit than God or Jesus? Why? Jesus is the text. The Holy Spirit guides us in our understanding of the text and He guides in conviction and our walk in Christ.
I put more emphasis on the heart which you said God knows.

But you bring up an interesting point. Do you think the holy spirit guides everyone to the SAME understanding of the text? I don't think so (JMO though)

Quote:
Who can claim to be as wise as God? Who can claim to know all things besides God? What's the difference between me saying "I don't know" and "leaving it to God"?
There is no difference (for the most part) between "I don't know" and "leaving it to God". Then again I'm not the one (nor have I ever been the one) to ever directly or indirectly inform somebody that they aren't a Christian or even question their Christian-ness. In fact a little more "I don't know" I think would go along way on this board. In fact.. I think I don't know is at the core of faith.

Quote:
The message is quite simple to understand and gives those who believe confidence that they, in fact, know.
I disagree just from a practical standpiont. Yes the message is clear.. the instructions are not.

Quote:
Can you point to Scripture that defines salvation? What Scripture do you use to define your own?
Mine is a mixed bag but John 3:16 is probably the safest place to start. However I don't take it as an absolute. I'm of the nature again that God knows the heart and its unfathomable to me that a humanity loving non-christian isn't taken care of. It reduces God to a "give me credit or else" God.. which I find juvenile at best.

Do you think the holy spirit can be with someone who isn't a Christian?

I do.

Quote:
Do you know what the Gospel says? Would you mind sharing what you believe (there's that word again ) it means?
I've shared.

Quote:
No worries. My main concern is what you interpret the Scriptures to say about salvation. Feel free to comment on the Scripture I posted or provide additional ones.
While I appreciate your concern.. your concern is no concern of mine. So you are digging a hole that I haven't asked to be dug. In doing so it could come off as offensive to someone other than myself. And thats my point. Your concern of my interpretation.. is that I interpret something the same way YOU do. Its a akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water.. if someone doesn't believe exactly as YOU do then they aren't saved. But I've already established that people all over this world have different thoughts on salvation.. they read the same exact book you read. Surely you aren't so proud to think that your interpretation is the right interpretation and the ONLY interpretation?

Quote:
I think this thread is appropriate, especially since we are having such a civil discussion.
Moving it to a thread dedicated to strictly salvation wouldn't make the discussion any less civil? This thread is about the definition of a Christian. While salvation and the definition go hand in hand I would think that a thread dedicated to salvation only would provide a more diverse response.

Quote:
So back to the OP--what is your definition of a Christian?
From post 1 it was a leading question.. I don't have a definition. In fact I hate the label. Like its some sort of club where you get issued a member id and a pin. I tend to believe God is much bigger than a membership list (considering 3/4's of Christians can't agree on what the rules of membership are).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity