Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:59 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
How are you all so sure you're not being possessed by something?

Many Christians offer dire warnings about dealing in the occult because you simply don't know whether you're being deceived. Yet, I don't see much difference in the mysticism you practice.

Any entity could pretend it's "the Father" if that is who you seek interaction with.
When you are close to the Father and know His voice another you will not follow. If you have the Holy Spirit inside of you then you will know His voice when He gives you the language to speak.

Just an example. If you are a school bus driver and you have a son who rides the bus also and the kids are playing in the back. The bus will be pretty loud. But when you hear all of the kids and all of the noise around, you can still hear your son out of all the noise. His voice is not louder than theirs, but you know your son's voice because you have been with him and have spent time with him. So, when another kids say something you will know that its not your son.

That is how God's voice is. The more you spend with Him, the more you will recognize it. Yes demons and satan have a voice also, but when they say something to you and you have spent time with God, then you will know the difference between their voice and His. It's just that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:14 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
When you are close to the Father and know His voice another you will not follow. If you have the Holy Spirit inside of you then you will know His voice when He gives you the language to speak.

Just an example. If you are a school bus driver and you have a son who rides the bus also and the kids are playing in the back. The bus will be pretty loud. But when you hear all of the kids and all of the noise around, you can still hear your son out of all the noise. His voice is not louder than theirs, but you know your son's voice because you have been with him and have spent time with him. So, when another kids say something you will know that its not your son.

That is how God's voice is. The more you spend with Him, the more you will recognize it. Yes demons and satan have a voice also, but when they say something to you and you have spent time with God, then you will know the difference between their voice and His. It's just that simple.
That is the precise argument I have tried to make to many on this forum. They accuse me of being deceived or manipulated. They ask how I can know God without adhering to the Bible. They accuse any of us who have such direct relationships with the Holy Spirit / God as practicing "heresy" and "apostasy".

But, as you state, one simply knows.

Thank you.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
no i had to go to school and study like crazy blood sweat and tears for foreign language acquisition.
a spiritual implant would have been much easier.
i am a bit wary of the speak in tongues things bek biblical mention of such trances being
misused for occult purposes cursing god so forth.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
LOL, if you excuse my french here..

Old 05-09-2009, 03:53 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post

Once you have the Holy Spirit and are excercising in the gifts
you won't have a problem understanding it
Praying in the spirit is an opportunity to set our typically dominant intellectual focus aside and pray to God from deep within, at the spirit-to-Spirit level. Our spirit is in intimate contact with the Holy Spirit, where the deepest communion between God and man occurs.
1 Corinthians 14:2, KJV For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
If we are truly “in the Spirit”, then the Holy Spirit can bear our prayers before God under His inspiration, and according to His will — even when we can’t find the words to express our petitions.
explanations taken from this link
Praying "in the Spirit" by Praying in Tongues
I hope this link will help you
So you took one verse out of the Bible and built a whole denomination out of it? There are Charismatic Catholics who speak in tongues, but they are a small group, but every bit as Catholic.

So if you don't understand, you don't have the Holy Spirit? Jeez, I thought I was doing alright. Apparently I don't have the Spirit.

But I thought there is more than one gift of the Holy Spirit, that is there are different charisms. Isn't it true that not all folks are supposed to receive the gift of speaking in tongues? Then why does EVERYONE have to speak in tongues?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
That is the precise argument I have tried to make to many on this forum. They accuse me of being deceived or manipulated. They ask how I can know God without adhering to the Bible. They accuse any of us who have such direct relationships with the Holy Spirit / God as practicing "heresy" and "apostasy".

But, as you state, one simply knows.

Thank you.
THere are some that do practice heresy and apostasy. But if you say that you have a relationship then that if for you to decide if you do. People can't send you to hell only the God can.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:36 PM

Well, my Aunt was speaking in tongues and a lady who is from India said that she was speaking in her native language. Cool, I think.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:36 PM

433 posts, read 876,207 times
If someone is speaking in tongues and their is no one their to translate what is being said then it is just nonsense. Speaking in tongues is not even an language. If someone was to preach the Gospel in Spanish to me it would do me no good because I do not speak spanish. God is not the offer of confusion. If you ever here about some one giving a sermon and all of a sudden the person starts speaking in toungues ask the congregation what was said. If not even at least one person can verify what was being said it is all nonsense

Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
If someone is speaking in tongues and their is no one their to translate what is being said then it is just nonsense. Speaking in tongues is not even an language. If someone was to preach the Gospel in Spanish to me it would do me no good because I do not speak spanish. God is not the offer of confusion. If you ever here about some one giving a sermon and all of a sudden the person starts speaking in toungues ask the congregation what was said. If not even at least one person can verify what was being said it is all nonsense
Duh, that is why it is interpreted. I have seen and heard people who are talking in tongues and it was being interpreted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity