Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 01:49 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,223,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
In the early church the men sat close up front, and the women and little kids sat back behind a screen wall.

Telling the women to be quiet is a hint that there was a lot of talking and asking questions going on.

The way the women are told to ask their husbands when they get home also suggests that the "Women must be scielent" verse is talking about women interrupting the church service with questions.

This was a problem and telling the women to ask their husbands is still the best advice over interrupting the service of everyone else to ask a million questions.
Alan...you are on a role buddy!! This is exactly the point I was trying to make. He took a verse in a letter that was written to a specific church, at a specific time, which pertained to how they should conduct their church services and made it an Almighty Command of God....which it was NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
This is a historical assumption and not a biblical fact. The reason the bible gives is "for it is a shame for a woman to speak in the church" (verse 35). Now I do agree that they were asking questions (as verse 35 hints to) but it does not say this is why they must speak. It does not say if they don't ask a question they can speak. Make sense?
Your logic is faulty....because it doesn't NOT say it either.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you of what happens when we ASSUME something....do I?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
yea, I mean, what person on earth has ever been a mysterious combination of male and female?!?!? ohhhhhhhh wait, everyone. haha.
You're good buddy....do you think just will catch on?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:13 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,109,584 times
Quote:
This is a historical assumption .....

The reason the bible gives is "for it is a shame for a woman to speak in the church"
I believe it is a easily proved Historical fact....

it was just the way the Jewish synagogue was run.
Men in the front, and with the woman in the back behind a screen.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Now I do agree that they were asking questions (as verse 35 hints to) but it does not say this is why they must speak. It does not say if they don't ask a question they can speak. Make sense?
Im not sure you wrote this correctly...

better edit it one more time.

The answer to this verse is that the women seem to be asking questions right during the middle of a worship service.
This is why they are told to both be silent, and to ask their husbands when they get home....

No other answer fits the text or the historical context.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Alan...you are on a role buddy!!
The answer I gave is the most wildly held answer to this text.

The fact is, that had men stood up and began asking questions and interrupting the worship they too would have been told to be quiet during church...

Old 10-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The answer I gave is the most wildly held answer to this text.

The fact is, that had men stood up and began asking questions and interrupting the worship they too would have been told to be quiet during church...
I absolutely agree with you (good golly, that's twice in one day)....why is Dalton having such a tough time with it

Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,547,193 times
Quote:
In the early church the men sat close up front, and the women and little kids sat back behind a screen wall.

Telling the women to be quiet is a hint that there was a lot of talking and asking questions going on.

The way the women are told to ask their husbands when they get home also suggests that the "Women must be scielent" verse is talking about women interrupting the church service with questions.

This was a problem and telling the women to ask their husbands is still the best advice over interrupting the service of everyone else to ask a million questions.
ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT WOMEN TALK TO MUCH?

Actually you have a good point though.. If the men were the leaders of the family (and we know that is hardly the case now as women wear pants ) then of course they should teach their families. That was also a big part of Jewish tradition. Kids and women can be so distracting which is why we have Sunday School for the kiddos and the women aren't allowed to sit in a group..

Old 10-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT WOMEN TALK TO MUCH?
YES!....
well at that time they did seem to have a problem.

You should also try to understand the context.
The New teachings of Jesus were that there is really no difference in God's eyes between a slave girl and a free man.
This was big news to the women of that time.
This is why there were so interested in learning more of the Good News.

So while we would want to have a normal worship service in church and so we would ask the girls to stay quiet and ask their husbands or fathers when they get home, we also have to understand that this is part of the "new Wine" that the old wine skins could not hold....

Old 10-23-2009, 02:42 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,379,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
That a new one on me....I've heard of God being called Father and considered the male and the earth being called Mother and considered the female...this is common in Mysticism. I'm not sure where you are going with your thought. I believe Gods spirit is in me now....and I'm not quite sure what you mean by... literal FATHER (male) of the spirit bodies that animate and integrate our physical bodies prior to their death.

You believe there is more than one spirit that enters the body?
Ok, I can't expect you to be familiar with LDS beliefs, sorry if I created confusion. It is my belief that God the Father (and probably God the Mother together, though that is not in LDS canon) created/organized I suppose trillions of spirits, each made in His own image and likeness, each His own child, some male and some female.

After aeons of experiences in a premortal existence with our spirit brothers and sisters, as part of our 'growing up' experience as a child of God, we get a turn on earth, an opportunity to get a physical body that will die and eventually be resurrected. Inside our physical body (the one created by an earthly father and an earthly mother) is one of those spirits that were created by God the Father. Although it is common to identify with our physical body while in mortality, that immortal spirit inside is the real "us", a literal son or daughter of God.

Should you be interested, you can learn more about my beliefs at:

Mormon.org - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity