Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times

Advertisements

When I first accepted Christ into my heart and life I began attending an Assemblies of God church. While attending that church I learned about standing in the gap for people when they're having a difficult time in life. I haven't thought about the concept of standing in the gap for a very long time, that is until this morning. There is someone very close to me that is going through a very difficult situation today and as I was praying that concept of standing in the gap came back to memory. I immediately prayed that I could stand in the gap for this person.

Now here is my question. Is standing in the gap biblical? Has anyone else ever heard of this? Also, another concept I learned in the Assemblies of God church is praying for the "garment of praise". It sounds like a great concept, but is this biblical? I never learned either of these concepts in any of my Bible or theology classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
I believe intercessory prayer is biblical but I believe it is to pray for the lost salvation. That God can give them the gift of faith and repentance. Now that person might be going through what they are going through because God has willed it for them to come to Him through that trial in their life.

Can't help you with garment of praise? I guess it is like putting on the whole armor of God. If one is in despair you pray for trust. I can see how it could be biblical?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-01-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,272 times
I believe that we as followers of Christ are called to pray on behalf of others, saved and unsaved. There are several of Paul's prayers that are considered intercessiory which are recorded in the New Testament.
In Philippians 1:9-11, Paul prayed for the believers: "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God."

The new church prayed fervently for Peter while he was imprisoned. Acts 12:5 says, "So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him."

1 Timothy 2:1-5 exhorts us to pray for others: "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

However, Jesus is the greatest intercessor of any time in history! Here are some of His prayers:

Jesus prayed for Peter - Luke 22:32 says, "But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Jesus prayed for those who crucified Him. In Luke 23:34 it says, "Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.' And they divided up his clothes by casting lots."

Jesus also prayed for His disciples and for believers throughout eternity in John 17.

Some have questioned as to whether it is a sin not to pray for people. If we look at 1 Samuel 12:23, I believe this answers the question. "As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right."

So should we pray on behalf of others? Yes, if we love one another, it is something we can and should do without question. Blessings.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
When I first accepted Christ into my heart and life I began attending an Assemblies of God church. While attending that church I learned about standing in the gap for people when they're having a difficult time in life. I haven't thought about the concept of standing in the gap for a very long time, that is until this morning. There is someone very close to me that is going through a very difficult situation today and as I was praying that concept of standing in the gap came back to memory. I immediately prayed that I could stand in the gap for this person.

Now here is my question. Is standing in the gap biblical? Has anyone else ever heard of this? Also, another concept I learned in the Assemblies of God church is praying for the "garment of praise". It sounds like a great concept, but is this biblical? I never learned either of these concepts in any of my Bible or theology classes.
Yes, I have heard it!! God has spoken it to me many times in "standing in the gap".... The first time I heard Him say it to me, I prayed that it was of Him..(testing the spirit) anyway in that day the Lord led me to the Scripture....

Exodus 17:8-16.
8 At Rephidim the Amalekites came and fought the Israelites.
9 So Moses said to Joshua, "Choose some men and go and fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill, holding the walking stick of God in my hands."
10 Joshua obeyed Moses and went to fight the Amalekites, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went to the top of the hill.
11 As long as Moses held his hands up, the Israelites would win the fight, but when Moses put his hands down, the Amalekites would win.
12 Later, when Moses' arms became tired, the men put a large rock under him, and he sat on it. Then Aaron and Hur held up Moses' hands—Aaron on one side and Hur on the other. They kept his hands steady until the sun went down.
13 So Joshua defeated the Amalekites in this battle.
14 Then the Lord said to Moses, "Write about this battle in a book so people will remember. And be sure to tell Joshua, because I will completely destroy the Amalekites from the earth."
15 Then Moses built an altar and named it The Lord is my Banner.
16 Moses said, "I lifted my hands toward the Lord's throne. The Lord will fight against the Amalekites forever."

I knew then God was wanting me to pray for this name (a person I did not know) that He brought to my heart after I read the Scripture.

I have never been to a Assembly Of God Church, so I don't know what they teach according to this....but I know that day God was wanting me to stand in the gap for this person.
I continued to pray until the Lord released my heart. I had no idea what was happening or going on with this individual.

Then a week later God gave confirmation to what He had called me to do....my sister called and was sharing with me about a person and their awful situation that was going on....and how the Lord worked it out for them.
I asked her what their names were......it was the names God brought to my heart.....my heart jumped and I began to rejoice and I shared with my sister what the Lord inspired me to do, and how I didn't know who, what and when....but to be as Aaron and Hur in holding up these individuals, just like for Moses when his hands became heavy, so that the battle would be won.....
From that day forward the Lord has shown me how we all need to stand in the gap for other's, people we know and the names of those the Lord brings to our heart we don't know...we do not know what their battle is, but to intercede on their behave for the Lord!

Blessings

Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Yes I believe we should pray for others..What can be more humbling than to sincerely pray for those we know who can't or simply won't or who ask us to join with his prayers already offered.

To be moved by the Holy Spirit to offer prayers for others whom we don't know? What love and faith and glory we give Him because we love and care enough..to pray for you and those unknown to us.

Call it filling the gap if you like or boldly approaching Him on behalf of others, but it is a great blessing that Christ's work on the cross gave us this privilege

Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Yes we are to pray for people and not just the lost. We need to lift people up in prayer, there is POWER in prayer!!!!! When I get my phone line restored I'll comment more about this.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
This won't appeal to everyone....I doubt many will have the patience to listen to a 7 minute worship song.

This is an amazing worship song from an amazing worship leader/singer/band, Robin Mark.

It's Celtic and yet, in ways, it's not.

The lyrics are exactly what you are talking about, Hoosier.

YouTube - Garments Of Praise - Robin Mark

Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. (Eze 22:30)

Old 05-01-2009, 02:49 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,589 times
So, "Standing in the Gap" means to pray for someone?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So, "Standing in the Gap" means to pray for someone?
Couldn't this also be a spiritual version of what the two guys did for Moses(was it Moses?) when he held his hands up, Israel would begin to win the battle, but when he lowered them, they would begin to falter.

So two men(was it Aaron and someone else?) helped hold his hands up when he couldn't do it himself?

LOL

Looking at that ridiculous stuff I just typed I think I'm going to have to go to find the scripture....I butchered that story pretty bad, didn't I?

Sorry, Lord, I'm trying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity