Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,554 times

Advertisements

The Great Transgression

Before getting to what is the "Great Transgression", I wanted to start by giving a brief overview of the Psalm.

In looking at the Psalm, as a whole. David describes the glory of the sun in the physical heavenly realm, speaking of it in terms related to Jesus Christ.

▪ The bridegroom coming out of the chamber is a symbol of Jesus being raised from the dead to receive His “bride”, i.e. all those, who put their trust in Him and the salvation He accomplished for us on the cross.
▪ As a strongman rejoicing to run His race, we are instructed run our race with patience, by looking to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith.
▪ Finally, like the sun, which lights this world for people to live in, Jesus Christ is the Light of the world to reveal God and reconcile us to Him through His cross and Person (Jesus is God in the flesh and the Very Son of God, the brightness of God's glory and express image of His Person).

Next, David takes the physical revelation of the heavenly realm and relates it to God’s Word. Jesus is the Word that became flesh and becomes flesh for us. Now, we are saved by Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross and it is through Him and His shed blood that we are enabled by God through the help of Jesus and His Spirit to receive the Word of God in promises and power of the Holy Spirit, who reveals His truth to us. By going to the throne of grace for help and receiving the Word of God and walking in it, we are enabled by God to manifest Christ in us and to overcome.

Now, I say all this to lay a foundation concerning the “Great Transgression”. In the final three verses of the psalm, David speaks about both secret faults and presumptuous sins.

Secret faults are sins that I am not aware of, yet apt to commit. These are places in my life where I am sinning, yet don't have light to realize it. David wanted the glory of God and His goodness to fill his life, like the sun filled the universe with light, so he asked God to cleans him from all sin.

Now, presumptuous sins are ones I do know are wrong, yet still transgress against the light I have. Because we have our flesh to deal with in this life, the danger of committing these sins is always present. I will always need God's help to war against these sins and to bring me into the truth I can stand on, against the sinful desires of my flesh. Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory in Christ, as we look to Him.

Now, thankfully concerning all sin, I have an advocate with the Father:

1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2 (KJV)

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:7-9 (KJV)

So, having said all of this, as a foundation, simply put, the Great Transgression is beyond sins that we commit in ignorance or willfully. All manner of sin can and will be forgiven by coming to Jesus Christ for forgiveness and help to cleans us through His precious blood and the Word of God which has the power and love to change us.

I believe the “Great Transgression” David is talking about goes more in line with this thought:

6 In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes. Judges 17:6 (KJV)
25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
Judges 21:25 (KJV)

The Apostle Paul says it this way:

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head--Christ--
16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind,
18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; Ephesians 4:11-18 (NKJV)

The “Great Transgression” is where I choose to be my own “god” or “king” and to walk in that which I think is right in my own eyes, rather than in the grace and truth God wants to provide for me. What David is saying is that he needed truth in his inner man and that he needed God to renew him in the spirit of his mind. David wanted the mind of God and not the futile thoughts of fallen man. So, he asked God to help him with what wrong he wasn’t aware of, and to keep him back from the sin his flesh would always want to commit. David did not trust his own heart, so he wanted all of God’s help so that he could walk in and experience the truth and righteousness of God.

In closing, Paul said this:

21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Ephesians 4:21-24 (KJV)

4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. 1 Corinthians 4:4-5 (KJV)

If I can say this, as simple, as possible. God is light and there is no darkness in Him. Jesus is the Light of this world and our light. The “Great Transgression” ends, when I ask God for His grace and truth and look to the gift of His beloved Son to save and help me.

Until my final breath, I will need forgiveness and the blood of Jesus to make atonement for me. But, thank God, we are hopefully growing up into Christ, and we grow, as we learn of Him and come to Him personally for help and to experience His rest.

He is Our Savior and Lord. He is our help. The Great Transgression is when I stop going to Him for help and rely on myself and my own limited understanding for my righteousness. His salvation is a gift that He offers to us and invites us to come to Him. Once you understand you can’t earn His favor or salvation, you are ready to come to Him for what can only be given to you in love. Salvation, forgiveness and God’s righteousness are the purest gifts of love from the Father in His Son towards us. He simply asks us to come and put our trust in the Very One He offered on Calvary’s cross for our sins, who was raised for our justification. This is the good news of the gospel.

May God through the Lord Jesus Christ bless you and give you a greater understanding of His love given to you and I in His Son, Jesus Christ Our Lord.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Violating the day of rest (Sabbath).

Old 09-15-2016, 04:09 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times
Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. - Jesus Christ (Mark 2:27)

Old 09-29-2016, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,554 times
Hey, my friend, Pruzhany, thank you so much for your post. As it says in Romans 14:5-6, to the Lord you observe the day and I would never strive with you over that. You stand or fall to the Lord and Jesus died for us both. If I could, may I present you with a few things to ponder? I think the Sabbath was intended to be more than the day of the week we rest and set apart to God.

Jesus healed on the Sabbath. In so doing, He was condemned by religious people, who thought they pleased God in keeping the Sabbath. Yes, the law is fulfilled by faith in Jesus Christ and God, who gave His Son for us to die for our sins and to be raised for our justification. I believe also that the Sabbath was created for God for man to have a day of rest and fellowship with Him and one another.

There is another Sabbath, which is actually the fulfillment of the Sabbath. Here is how it is written in the Book of Hebrews:

1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest,' " although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works";

5 and again in this place: "They shall not enter My rest."
6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,
7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, "Today," after such a long time, as it has been said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts."
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.
10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.
15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:1-16 (NKJV)

So, yes, God has provided a Sabbath day, which He desires and commands for our own benefit to observe. But, the ultimate rest He intended was that which comes through His grace, in which through faith, we are enabled by His love and truth to cease from our own works or efforts and enter into His works.

You stand or fall to God, so it is important that I don't injure what you believe concerning keeping the Sabbath day.

What I wanted you to consider, however, is whether that should be considered the "Great Transgression" mentioned by David. Let me phrase is to you this way, and I say this with all humility before God: Since we are speaking of the Great Transgression, which would be worse:
1. Not believing on the Lord Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross to forgive our sins in His death and to believe on Him, whom the Father raised from the dead for our justification, or
2. To not keep the Sabbath Day?

I am not asking to be condemning or condescending, but rather to think about which is the more important for you. Jesus loves us and wants to do for us what we could never do in ourselves - reconcile us to God through His blood and justify us through His life.

The Lord bless you my friend.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycrankydog View Post
The Great Transgression

Before getting to what is the "Great Transgression", I wanted to start by giving a brief overview of the Psalm.

In looking at the Psalm, as a whole. David describes the glory of the sun in the physical heavenly realm, speaking of it in terms related to Jesus Christ.

▪ The bridegroom coming out of the chamber is a symbol of Jesus being raised from the dead to receive His “bride”, i.e. all those, who put their trust in Him and the salvation He accomplished for us on the cross.
▪ As a strongman rejoicing to run His race, we are instructed run our race with patience, by looking to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith.
▪ Finally, like the sun, which lights this world for people to live in, Jesus Christ is the Light of the world to reveal God and reconcile us to Him through His cross and Person (Jesus is God in the flesh and the Very Son of God, the brightness of God's glory and express image of His Person).

Next, David takes the physical revelation of the heavenly realm and relates it to God’s Word. Jesus is the Word that became flesh and becomes flesh for us. Now, we are saved by Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross and it is through Him and His shed blood that we are enabled by God through the help of Jesus and His Spirit to receive the Word of God in promises and power of the Holy Spirit, who reveals His truth to us. By going to the throne of grace for help and receiving the Word of God and walking in it, we are enabled by God to manifest Christ in us and to overcome.

Now, I say all this to lay a foundation concerning the “Great Transgression”. In the final three verses of the psalm, David speaks about both secret faults and presumptuous sins.

Secret faults are sins that I am not aware of, yet apt to commit. These are places in my life where I am sinning, yet don't have light to realize it. David wanted the glory of God and His goodness to fill his life, like the sun filled the universe with light, so he asked God to cleans him from all sin.

Now, presumptuous sins are ones I do know are wrong, yet still transgress against the light I have. Because we have our flesh to deal with in this life, the danger of committing these sins is always present. I will always need God's help to war against these sins and to bring me into the truth I can stand on, against the sinful desires of my flesh. Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory in Christ, as we look to Him.

Now, thankfully concerning all sin, I have an advocate with the Father:

1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2 (KJV)

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:7-9 (KJV)

So, having said all of this, as a foundation, simply put, the Great Transgression is beyond sins that we commit in ignorance or willfully. All manner of sin can and will be forgiven by coming to Jesus Christ for forgiveness and help to cleans us through His precious blood and the Word of God which has the power and love to change us.

I believe the “Great Transgression” David is talking about goes more in line with this thought:

6 In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes. Judges 17:6 (KJV)
25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
Judges 21:25 (KJV)

The Apostle Paul says it this way:

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head--Christ--
16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind,
18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; Ephesians 4:11-18 (NKJV)

The “Great Transgression” is where I choose to be my own “god” or “king” and to walk in that which I think is right in my own eyes, rather than in the grace and truth God wants to provide for me. What David is saying is that he needed truth in his inner man and that he needed God to renew him in the spirit of his mind. David wanted the mind of God and not the futile thoughts of fallen man. So, he asked God to help him with what wrong he wasn’t aware of, and to keep him back from the sin his flesh would always want to commit. David did not trust his own heart, so he wanted all of God’s help so that he could walk in and experience the truth and righteousness of God.

In closing, Paul said this:

21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Ephesians 4:21-24 (KJV)

4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. 1 Corinthians 4:4-5 (KJV)

If I can say this, as simple, as possible. God is light and there is no darkness in Him. Jesus is the Light of this world and our light. The “Great Transgression” ends, when I ask God for His grace and truth and look to the gift of His beloved Son to save and help me.

Until my final breath, I will need forgiveness and the blood of Jesus to make atonement for me. But, thank God, we are hopefully growing up into Christ, and we grow, as we learn of Him and come to Him personally for help and to experience His rest.

He is Our Savior and Lord. He is our help. The Great Transgression is when I stop going to Him for help and rely on myself and my own limited understanding for my righteousness. His salvation is a gift that He offers to us and invites us to come to Him. Once you understand you can’t earn His favor or salvation, you are ready to come to Him for what can only be given to you in love. Salvation, forgiveness and God’s righteousness are the purest gifts of love from the Father in His Son towards us. He simply asks us to come and put our trust in the Very One He offered on Calvary’s cross for our sins, who was raised for our justification. This is the good news of the gospel.

May God through the Lord Jesus Christ bless you and give you a greater understanding of His love given to you and I in His Son, Jesus Christ Our Lord.
IS this the same one yu are looking for?

The unforgivable sin refers to actions accompanied by an attitude that keeps a sinner from ever receiving God’s forgiveness. How could such a disposition develop?
God forgives those who repent of their sins, follow his standards in their life, and exercise faith in Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19, 20) However, a person can become so set in following a sinful course that he will never change his attitude or conduct. The Bible describes such a person as having “a wicked heart” that has “become hardened by the deceptive power of sin.” (Hebrews 3:12, 13) Like clay that has been fired in a kiln and that can never be reshaped, the person’s heart has become permanently opposed to God. (Isaiah 45:9) There could never be a basis for such a person to be forgiven, so he is guilty of the unforgivable, or unpardonable, sin.—Hebrews 10:26, 27.
Some Jewish religious leaders in Jesus’ day committed the unforgivable sin. They knew that God’s holy spirit was the force behind Jesus’ miracles, yet they maliciously said that he got his power from Satan the Devil.—Mark 3:22, 28-30.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 AM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
pre·sump·tu·ous
prəˈzəm(p)(t)SH(o͞o)əs/
adjective
(of a person or their behavior) failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate.
"I hope I won't be considered presumptuous if I offer some advice"

*Applying Matthew 7:13 to yourself
*calling the other guy is the Pharisee
*claiming to represent the creator of the universe/presuming to speak for him(whoa)
*claiming the mind of God by reading a book/claiming to know which book
*judging yourself and others by that book
*claiming to know who the righteous and unrighteous are

Basically, tricking yourself into believing you have things all figured out and closing yourself off to another's viewpoint.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:30 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
I personally think it is ludicrous to think that God cannot handle a little blasphemy, especially when many are so far removed from God in their thinking. I have been called all manner of stuff over the years, and I fail the test every time I ever get offended by it, it all really shows when I am, is I'm not abiding in his peace.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 AM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I personally think it is ludicrous to think that God cannot handle a little blasphemy, especially when many are so far removed from God in their thinking. I have been called all manner of stuff over the years, and I fail the test every time I ever get offended by it, it all really shows when I am, is I'm not abiding in his peace.
Agreed. Blasphemy seems to be in the eye of the beholder. To a Jehovah's Witness speaking against the Watchtower is speaking against God. Yet they claim to worship God and not an organization. To someone of another faith what I say is exposing a false religion. Hmmmmm If I claim the bible is written by men I have not blasphemed according to believers of other faiths. If I say the Quran is not inspired then the Christians will agree, even though, to a Muslim I have blasphemed.

I would say the great transgression(depending on who you ask) would be either:

A. Elevating your opinions to divine status and ridgedly sticky too them.
B. Not elevating your opinions to divine status and consider you might be wrong (wishy washy????)

I think A is more likely to be a mistake.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:22 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Presumptuous sins had an offering prescribed for them in the OT law. Such sins are those you commit UNKNOWINGLY (in this dispensation) by not allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you in what to do, thereby assuming without asking. Before the HS was part of the new dispensation, presumptuous sins were especially troublesome because one had no idea necessarily what to do in every single aspect of a situation. And since they didn't know they were committed, then an offering specifically for such sins, protected the individual against having such sins without seeking forgiveness for the transgression.

Under this dispensation, we are told the Holy Ghost will go in and cleanse out all the darkness, even the HIDDEN (and therefore unknown and not repented for) things of the heart, and will via that bring it to your attention so repentance can come for forgiveness to be received. This is cleansing the INSIDE of the cup, not just the outside of the obvious works of the flesh. Peace

Old 09-29-2016, 04:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
well, the sin is ignorance. so stupid is stupid is what they meant. They couldn't get the mentals to listen so they had to make up some super cop. I mean many liberals, err, I mean people need something to keep them from hurting other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity