Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,269 times

Advertisements

Peter approached Jesus one day and asked him, How many times should I forgive my brother if he sins against me ? Seven times?

Peter knew what numbers meant - Jesus answsered him with a number

Jesus answerd him and said NO !! SEVENTY times SEVEN.

That adds up to 490 times, There is not enough time in the day for someone to make that many mistakes.

what did Jesus mean by 70 x 7 ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
The 70x7 expression is symbolic for infinity; Christians are called to forgive an infinite number of time because that is the number of time they are forgiven by God ; when a Christian fails to forgive, it becomes inconsistent with the infinite forgiveness of God.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
Peter approached Jesus one day and asked him, How many times should I forgive my brother if he sins against me ? Seven times?

Peter knew what numbers meant - Jesus answsered him with a number

Jesus answerd him and said NO !! SEVENTY times SEVEN.

That adds up to 490 times, There is not enough time in the day for someone to make that many mistakes.

what did Jesus mean by 70 x 7 ??
Jesus did not say: seventy times seven each day but just "seventy times seven."

Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,345,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
The 70x7 expression is symbolic for infinity; Christians are called to forgive an infinite number of time because that is the number of time they are forgiven by God ; when a Christian fails to forgive, it becomes inconsistent with the infinite forgiveness of God.
There may yet be hope for you Curly. Maybe?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
There may yet be hope for you Curly. Maybe?
Now Birdy.....how can you make that kind of a statement when you've been trying to convince me there has always been hope..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jesus did not say: seventy times seven each day but just "seventy times seven."
I think the OP is thinking of this parallel passage from Luke(emphasis added):

So watch yourselves. "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him. If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him."

Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 AM

SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN means something very specific

all numbers have meanings..

seven is the number for completness or wholeness

seventy is the number of .. perfection ..

so in essense Jesus was saying FORGIVE your brother PERFECTLY AND COMPLETLY !! (THAT'S ALL ) !!!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times
I just hope the Jews that He spoke to knew all numbers have meaning like you do 2000 years later.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Students of the Bible now, and back then knew; it is very obvious when a person studies the bible to see the connection(s).

In fact Sir Issac Newton wanted to find the original words God used to create everything. !!

He also knew there was a code in the bible, but he did not know how to access it, but he did find the original words God used. and he found out something that is so startling, beyond belief.

Temple in the Center of Time

what an incredible book. I Knew God has given us many signs and such, but this was incredible to say the least.

I will try and put this into simple terms:

From the exact center of the temple in Jerusalem (the holy of holies)

The distance frm that center spot, to the center of ALL MAJOR CITIES IN THE WORLD = THE DATE of specific predictions that Jesus spoke of.

It is incredible what you can learn.. when a person studies in ernest !

Study.. .. .. to show thyself approved !!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 PM

We are to forgive .. only on certain days of the week ?

70 x 7 EVERY DAY ALL DAY !! LOVE YOUR ENEMIES !!

do good to those who use you and persecute you !!

(only on certain days ??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity