Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 AM

9,705 posts, read 10,082,523 times

Advertisements

In John 14: 23-26....Jesus said ...``If a man loves me he will keep not my sayings and the words which you hear is not mine, but the Father which sent me....These things have I spoken to you , being yet present ...But the comforter, which is the Holy spirit , whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, what so ever I have said to you``.........See Gods Words are anointed and when we hear these Words then Holy Spirit can remind us of these Word from God , so if we do not hear , or read and heard these Words then Holy Spirit will never give us new Words which we never heard or studied .....Also Jesus said `if a man loves me these Words that Father God gave ``.. would bring honor to God were faith to bring the confidence is developed ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
In plain English .... God gives us faith by hearing AND understanding his word (the Bible).
Amen....

Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 AM

595 posts, read 764,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"Now faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

I don't understand what Paul is conveying here. Of course, I understand the basic message, but the second "hearing by" I don't get. Is Paul saying:
1) Now faith comes by hearing the Word of God" or
2) Now faith comes by hearing, and hearing comes by the Word of God.

Or maybe something entirely different. Can someone please put this into plain English for me.
Remember who we are hearing...

Romans 1:16
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

1 Corinthians 1:18
[ Christ the Wisdom and Power of God ] For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Only by His power, who are chosen will hear the message of Christ and believe. ( We do not know who is chosen to hear, this is why we preach, we carry the power of God through Jesus Christ when we preach, the one preached to will hear, but will they believe? Faith is a gift from God.
Mark 16:15
He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.

God has predestined because He foreknew who would humble themselves to Him. He knows all beforehand and all we are commanded to do is preach what we know, just as Jesus did.

Jesus is the only One who promises eternal life and proved by His death and resurrection, eternal life exists through Him. He had the power to lay His life down and to raise Himself from the grave. He is the only One who raised Himself in three days.

All others who made or make this claim.........we are still waiting.........

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,714,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Jesus is the only One who promises eternal life and proved by His death and resurrection, eternal life exists through Him. He had the power to lay His life down and to raise Himself from the grave. He is the only One who raised Himself in three days.

All others who made or make this claim.........we are still waiting.........
This is the reason for the OP scripture. Faith is the requirement because you have no evidence that this actually happened.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 AM

37,347 posts, read 28,430,937 times
Quote:
In plain English .... God gives us faith by hearing AND understanding his word (the Bible).
He is also the one who opens our eyes to understand,know and ultimately believe.

And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
Luke 24:31-32

Old 10-28-2012, 03:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,480,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
He is also the one who opens our eyes to understand,know and ultimately believe.

And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
A burning that comes from within is very bright, intense and passionate.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM

2,212 posts, read 558,047 times
Default Now Faith Comes by Hearing and Hearing

The original King James translators mis-placed the comma.

Faith commeth by hearing and hearing, by the Word of God.

In other words -- repetitive hearing of the word of God. (Which includes affirmation)

Only this way can you build up faith in your spirit.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,947,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"Now faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

I don't understand what Paul is conveying here. Of course, I understand the basic message, but the second "hearing by" I don't get. Is Paul saying:
1) Now faith comes by hearing the Word of God" or
2) Now faith comes by hearing, and hearing comes by the Word of God.

Or maybe something entirely different. Can someone please put this into plain English for me.
It's really not so much a grammatical error as it is translational. And, as you've suggested, it's perhaps entirely different than what most translations tell us.

The word "hearing" in v.17 is being translated from the Greek word "ακοης", and is actually the same Greek word that had been previously translated as "report" in v.16, in the KJV.

Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report (Greek 'ακοη")?

The idea here is that "the faith" (in v.17 the Greek definite article, ie: "η πιστις", is being used) is speaking of the Gospel (or good tidings), as indicated in v.16. And the Gospel (ie: "the faith") comes to us by a "report", and this "report" is "through" (Greek: δια) the word of God.

Young's literal translation captures the text much better, here:

Rom 10:16 But they were not all obedient to the good tidings, for Isaiah saith, `Lord, who did give credence to our report?'

Rom 10:17 so then the faith is by a report, and the report through a saying of God,

Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,535,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

Their eyes being opened doesn't mean he personally opened yours. If your eye's are opened it is from the hearing of the word. I wish more people would listen to what has been written, yet for some reason they believe a little voice inside of them is God and go against the word.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 PM

64,110 posts, read 40,411,028 times
Quote:
Their eyes being opened doesn't mean he personally opened yours. If your eye's are opened it is from the hearing of the word. I wish more people would listen to what has been written, yet for some reason they believe a little voice inside of them is God and go against the word.
1 Corinthians 2:16 (King James Version)

16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

2 Corinthians 3:14-17

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity