Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:34 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times

Advertisements

As we wrap up this reading of John, it's amazing how utterly simplistic my 'thoughts' have become. At first, I thought it was the business in my life....just not enough time to sit and write a lot but then it hit me that these simplistic thoughts I am having ARE my applications from the Lord.

For Chapter 20, I just kept thinking 'Thank God that tomb was empty. Thank God my Savior lives. Thank God Jesus is exactly who He is.'

For if Jesus were laying in that grave past the 3rd day, my sins would still be on my shoulders. If Christ didn't rise, He died for nothing. So I always get a little 'choked up' when reading about the resurrection. Because that's how much Christ loves us.

Loved us enough to lay His life down, but even more to pick it up again. Lord, help me to live in a way that honors your sacrifice.
---------

Chapter 21 was equally 'short and sweet' for me though I think there's more there for me that I've really 'gotten' yet.

For one, I had a dream about fishing last night...a little strange....and then to start reading this passage about a 'great catch of fish'....well....let's just say I'll be contemplating the connection all day there!

Peter's forgiveness, which I talked about earlier, always seems like a moment I'd love to go back and witness as a 'fly on the wall', if you know what I mean.

But the one thing that caught my attention were Christ's comments regarding John but more importantly stressing that we need to be OK with Christ's way regardless of how 'unfair' it may appear to us(21-23):
When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?"
See how much was read into Christ's words sparking rumors and speculation...and yet....what Christ said was ALL Christ said. And all He said was, and I paraphrase, 'If I do what I do for whatever reason I chose to do it, what is that to you?'

It's a good question for me today.

What business is it to me whatever God chooses to do or not to do....what right do I have to claim something as 'unfair' or 'not right'? My only goal is to humble myself out of the picture so God can use me as He sees fit. (Remember John 3:30?)

If that's as a Billy Graham, so be it.

If it's as a K.P. Yohannan, wonderful.

A Tony Marciano, I'm ecstatic.

A Patsy Street, I'm in awe.

A seemingly nobody, that's great too!(Though there is no 'nobodys'.)

The Kingdom of God is present like air is present. It's in every nook and cranny of Creation....and God wants to use his people in each one of those nooks and crannys. Sometimes they are huge to the 'human' eye, but sometimes that appear small to the 'human' eye.

They are sizeless to God. Each one just as important as the other. There is no hierarchy to God's people. Each one of us plays a role and each one of us has a purpose.

Maybe your goal is to reach one hundred folks....maybe it's to reach 1/100th of one person. Who knows.

Bottom line?

Well, for me the bottom line to ALL of John's gospel is taking myself OUT OF THE PICTURE, allowing God to do the work through me He desires to do----

In short, if I love Him, care for His sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,987 times
Chapter 20..
Actually this chapter continued my thoughts of yesterday...
The love He has for us.
Yesterday I felt His pain...(His physical pain to me equaled also the pain He felt for us....how much He must care.)
Today I felt His glory
I felt the Glory of Him coming back...
Him taking the time to show us He was who He said He was.
and by my saying He took the time sounds so minimal...
for He is so Great.
What must be equal to 1000 times the most powerful sun we know...
The Greatest light of Glory...
I don't know how else to express that Glory that I felt...
That peace I felt
I don't know if there are enough words to express.
we are so small...He is so Great.
But Thank you Lord for what you did..
I believe!....and I pray that others have been touched by your word as you have touched me.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM

163 posts, read 293,107 times
There are so many other things Jesus did. If they were all written down, each of them, one by one, I can't imagine a world big enough to hold such a library of books.

I started this study with a nugget for my treasure chest and I'm gonna end it with another nugget!

Thank you my Sweet Library of Books!!!

That being said, I want to thank you Mr Alpha for fearless leadership and thank you to the gang. You each shared your love for God and what that means to you and it helped me to try to articulate what I guess I needed to say. It was fun but actually it was kind of hard because I really had to stop, look, and listen. And most often I'm to busy living life on life's terms to stop, listen, look, or much less, smell the roses

Anyways, see you all in the pond with the other fish, odaat!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:38 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
Default Chapter 20

God is SO good!

While I was contemplating something I had read in Chapter 20 earlier today, the phone rang. On the other end was a dear, sweet woman of God who was in desperate need of a friend. She was in full blown crisis mode and her mind was in the bleak despair brought upon by the darkness of depression. She called to ask for prayer, but we talked for about an hour an a half.

I say that God is good because He used what I had been contemplating to minister to my friend. There was actually much that I've learned from this study of John that He brought to my mind as I shared the truths of God's Word to this precious soul. Since she is a committed Christian who knows the Bible forward and backward, I didn't share anything she didn't already know; I just shared a timely and pertinent message. God's timing is so utterly AWESOME! All praise to Him who reigns above, in majesty supreme!!!

The thing I shared is from verse 2: "So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved . . ."

Several times in this book, John mentions the disciple Jesus loved. In the last chapter, we find out John is talking about himself. On the surface, calling himself the disciple Jesus loved sounds extremely arrogant. ("God loves me better than you!" <neener, neener, neener>) However, I don't think that's at all what John is saying.

John is at the point in writing this gospel that he self-identifies as being loved by God. Rather than thinking of himself as John the fisherman, he thinks of himself as John the Beloved. I don't think he's claiming to hold a higher position in Jesus' love, he's simply acknowledging that he is loved. He utterly personalizes that love and claims his position in Christ. He is loved.

I like some of my titles: wife, mother, lover, sister, friend, daughter, teacher, etc. Then there are the titles I don't like. But, the most important title I can claim is Blueberry, beloved child of God! All else falls by the wayside, and this title gives perspective in a hostile and intolerant world. It banishes both outside accusation and self-condemnation. I can withstand any attack, both "foreign and domestic," if I can truly take hold of this truth.

"I am my Beloved's and He is mine. His banner over me is love."

~~~~~

For those of you who have read this, please say a prayer for my friend. She suffers terribly from depression caused by a variety of health issues. She needs both body and mind fully restored. She longs to be the vibrant woman her husband married. Finally, she needs to quit thinking about what others might think about her (some true and some not), turn her eyes upon Jesus, and walk with freedom, boldness, and strength as her mind rests in truth (not the lies of the world).

Please also pray that I will be a true friend, sensitive to the Spirit's leading and that His words will proceed from my mouth.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Chapter 20

v. 3-10
Peter therefore went out, and the other disciple, and were going to the tomb. So they both ran together, and the other disciple outran Peter and came to the tomb. And he, stooping down and looking in, saw the linen cloths lying there; yet he did not go in.
Then Simon Peter cam following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there, and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself.
Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed. For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. Then the disciples went away again to their own homes.

We are told the first evidence of Jesus' resurrection was the linen cloth. The position of the grave wrappings showed they had not been unwound as would have been necessary if grave robbers had removed the body and left the wrappings in the tomb. Also a grave robber would not have left the handkerchief..... folded together as it was.

The handkerchief always intrigues me.... being folded and laying neatly away from the linen cloth.
Reading through this part of scripture every time always has my heart imagining Jesus standing up and the linen cloth just falling off, then picturing Him taking the handkerchief folding it and laying it aside......Every little detail of showing evidence He left for those who would come to His tomb witnessing He had risen.
Our personal relationship with Him, He knowing each of us and our personalities and those little tibet's He gives like the folded handkerchief to help us in what we always need to believe and to walk by faith not by sight!......In our journey home!
Jesus knows all our ways and thoughts before we know! He knew what they needed to find.....to believe! Because the scripture goes on to say; "for they yet did not know the Scripture that He must rise again from the dead!"
Yet we have the Scripture to show us...yes, He has risen and is COMING AGAIN to receive us!
I love the little handkerchiefs He always gives me when the doubts of things in life that would try to creep in to steal my faith in Him. I love you, Lord Jesus!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
Default Chapter 21

As I've read through John, especially the chapters that recorded Jesus' last week, I've been struck by how utterly normal the disciples were. They were believers who simply didn't "get it" at times, even when Jesus spoke plainly.

At the Last Supper, they asked who would betray Jesus. Jesus answered plainly, without nuance, stating the person to whom he would give the dipped bread would be the betrayer. Jesus then hands the bread to Judas, but the disciples simply thought Judas left on an errand. The words of Jesus seem to have completely gone over their heads.

When they saw the empty tomb, Peter and John still did not understand from Scriptures that Jesus had to rise from the dead. Thomas doubted even though the other disciples testified they had seen Jesus; they had even seen his hands and side just like Thomas wanted.

Although the Holy Spirit had been breathed on them in Chapter 20, the disciples still didn't immediately recognize Jesus when he stood on the shore and called out to them in Chapter 21. Later in the day, the rumor started that John would never die although Jesus never said that.

After being taught by Jesus for three years, after witnessing myriad miracles, there was still much the disciples didn't understand. It boggles my mind, yet it gives me hope. I realize it's OK not to understand everything completely. I don't have to beat myself up. My eyes will be opened on His timetable, not my own.

However, the story doesn't end there. The disciples didn't remain clueless. Luke 24:25 tells us that Jesus opened the minds of the disciples so they could understand the Scriptures. Acts 1 lets us know that Jesus appeared to the apostles over a 40 day period, teaching them about the kingdom of God. He gave them the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, whom would teach them all things, and bring all things Jesus had said to their remembrance. He also gave them instructions through the Holy Spirit. In essence, Jesus equipped the disciples with the knowledge, understanding, power, and ability to carry His message to the world.

The disciples didn't remain clueless. Neither do I have to. I have God's written word. What am I going to do with it? Will I handle it accurately? I have the Holy Spirit. Do I listen to him? There is power in the name of Jesus. Do I utilize it? Will I seek first His kingdom and His righteousness so all these things can be added unto me?

Last edited by Blueberry; 06-17-2009 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: added thought

Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
In this last chapter 21, what struck me the most was the last verse which stated there were so many things Yeshua did that the whole world couldn't contain the books that would have been written.
Making that the final statement lets me know that what is written in the gospel are highlights which were most memorable by his disciples.
John is letting us know not all things were written therefore many things we as Christians want to argue or debate about have been addressed by Jesus and we must allow the Holy Spirit will guide us into true and understanding. I will remember that when things are questionable in my mind let the Holy Spirit reveal the truth to me; not anyone else.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Default John...Chapter20...

John 20:21-23 "Jesus Appears To His Disciples"
Again He said, "Peace be with you. As the Father hath sent Me, so I am sending you. Then He breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone's sins, they are forgiven. If you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

Jesus is sending us forth with His power and anointing! God is calling men and women who are willing to rise up in His strength to fulfill His will on the earth.
Jesus was appointed as our Great High Priest, and He was given a Royal commission...to offer His life as a sacrifice sufficient to redeem us out of Satan's hands. He was commissioned to destroy the works of the devil.
As a Son of God, called by God, YOU AND I HAVE ALSO BEEN GIVEN A ROYAL COMMISSION: "...Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15).
Can you see it?...the POWER we have, KNOWING the Creator of heaven and earth has called us by His Spirit...commissioned us...placed His Spirit in us...and sent us forth with His Power and Anointing!!!...
...we will gain strength as we get a fuller revelation of the fact that GOD IS WITH US...that Jesus Christ, the Almighty Son of God, is in us and that He promised NEVER to leave us or forsake us!!!!!!!! Hallelujuah!!!

I love you dearly!!!
verna.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default "In the beginning was a June for whom it ended where it began:"

-Pondering when in the beginning the beginning began...

"In the beginning..."

Last edited by june 7th; 06-18-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,987 times
Taking a break before starting Acts.?
Just wondering about when I should start looking for the thread..
No hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity