Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times

Advertisements

In my viewpoint there seems to be more open hatred of..
Christians today.I see it online,tv,online video games i play.
People claim that christians are forcing their views on everyone,etc
I really dont see what they are talking about.
Seems like this country is fighting a cultural battle in many ways.
I honestly see it getting worse....
Of course christians today have it much better than christians in...
Other time periods.

Last edited by averagejoe76; 05-29-2009 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Let em get on with it , they will not always be able to resist the Holy Spirit. It's hard to kick against the pricks.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times
While christians have always had their enemies, it does appear people are more easily inclined to despise and make fun of christians these days. Also many christian based things too, like the 10 commandments in public places and doing away with "Merry Christmas". Well, the bible warns of this so we shouldn't be too surprised. But there are other countries far worse off too.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
While christians have always had their enemies, it does appear people are more easily inclined to despise and make fun of christians these days. Also many christian based things too, like the 10 commandments in public places and doing away with "Merry Christmas". Well, the bible warns of this so we shouldn't be too surprised. But there are other countries far worse off too.
I don't find comfort that it's worse in other countries. Instead of finding comfort that my faith is only "mildly" or "moderately" attacked, I see the US as the last major stronghold falling to the secular humanists, atheists, and plain old Christian-haters and that is not a good sign though it may a sign of things to come.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its not hostility its evil. lots of it.
the ugly and grotesque desperately trying to look cool and funny. a deformed and hidious creature chanting--- im not so bad, we're not so bad, its not so bad.
it has no pity, no remorse no sense of mercy, it cannot nor will not be negotiated with and will not stop until it is destroyed or you are.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Other time periods.
I do agree that people are more open to being hateful or not liking Christians today because of certain christians out there that I feel are giving a bad name. Christians are people and make mistakes just like everyone else, but why is it when someone calls themself christian and kills there children or does somethings stupid, people blame all Christians for that persons stupidity.

I feel that Christians are being attacked more today because of the bad apples and nuts out there that are not following Christ but are doing things there way, but for some reason calling themself Christian.

Someone who is following after Christ want go around chopping up their children or killing their family.

As I read about terrorist who are muslim and killing innocent people, I have common sense to know that not all muslims are like that, only the nuts who are foolish enough to blow themself up. That is the same for people who call themself Christian, but their ways don't even match the life of Christ.

Quote:
I hear this all the time. Christ went around and preached His gospel and tells us to do the same. They hated Him for doing it, so they will also hate Christians for spreading the Gospel. Let's face it, the enemy hates anything and everyone that is trying to spread the gospel of Christ. So, until the world ends people will have a problem with it. But you do know that God said that this would happen. So, I don't understand why so many Christians are suprised that they are being hated or made fun of. Jesus was spit on, laughed at, mocked, so what makes you think that things will be better for us?

If people hated God, then what do you think that people will think about us? They are going to hate Christians because they hate the God that we serve.

But that doesn't bother me because I am on the side that can't be beat. Who can beat God? God's enemy's don't stand a chance.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 05-29-2009 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Other time periods.
Do the christians feel victimized? Why? For years the christians have been slamming non-christians as those who are lost, live in the dark, live aimless lives, don't believe in anything, etc, etc. Not to mention that christians have labeled anything (anybody) they don't like as the workings of satan.
The reason most christians don't understand the concept about forcing their views on everyone is because the christians believe (and insist) it is their duty because only the christians know the right way to live, that only christians know the meaning of life, that only christian values (whatever that is) should be accepted. That everybody else is just a piece of dirt, deserving of self-righteous christian contempt. Like muslims, liberals, homosexuals, atheists, and various minorities.
Christians are always ready to point out and lament the mistakes (with bible quotes) of others (very un-Jesus like, but...) without practicing any self-examination.

Maybe some christians have noticed that much criticism of christians is that they do not follow the teaching of their own Jesus. What do christians have to do with Jesus, other than using his name to promote their own (political and anti-social) ideologies? Most christians probably didn't believe anyone would ever notice these tactics.
Surely, there are christians who may also feel that the something has been going wrong. Those who live according to their faith and actually do soul searching of themselves have been pushed aside and I do not want to level any criticism at those. Such as the Amish, a quiet and peaceful folk.
The christian high tide of power in America is eroding slightly. Too many people have seen behind the thin disguise of what the christians really represent. Could it be that the christian mask of righteousness and holiness has slipped a little?
There's little reason to wonder why the negative attitudes. The christians have been belligerent and hostile to anything that does not agree with them.
Could it be that what the christians perceive as hostility is only backlash that should be expected. Maybe now the shoe is on the other foot. Or what goes around, comes around.
But as a consolation to yourselves for this post, you can always condemn me to eternal hell.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
American fundamentalist Christians are some of the most self-righteous, arrogant, intolerant people I have met ANYWHERE in the world. I have NEVER been asked about my religion in any other nation beside the U.S. Christians in Western Europe seem to live their lives just fine without making their faith a public display in every facet of their lives...

Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
American fundamentalist Christians are some of the most self-righteous, arrogant, intolerant people I have met ANYWHERE in the world. I have NEVER been asked about my religion in any other nation beside the U.S. Christians in Western Europe seem to live their lives just fine without making their faith a public display in every facet of their lives...
Perhaps because Christianity calls for it's believers to boldly call others to their faith and gifts them with clarity of mind and commands them to be spiritual beings rather than worldly ones. How are they supposed to behave if the words of the Bible are true?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:

In my viewpoint there seems to be more open hatred of..Christians today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post

Do the christians feel victimized?
Even as an atheist, June finds it somewhat fascinating that entire groups of individuals who identify as being what constitutes 'the Church' should feel hated or despised by anyone. Socio-political trends and ideologies aside, June just doesn't get it. It strikes her as being so unnecessary.

"Belief" is a relative term. Who or what one believes in is both relative as well as being real to that given individual. It forms their identity to a large extent as well as contributing to their attitudes and outlook on the world. In terms of religious belief, June would naturally assume that one's Christian beliefs would translate, somehow, into attitude, outlook, and subsequently actions/behaviors in how that given Christian individual interacts with, and engages with the outside world.

"Hatred" is a very strong word, and one which June greatly resists. June can acknowledge her own feelings of 'hatred' on rare occasion when someone or something hurts her deeply, or otherwise offends her in that it appeals to her sense of injustice. When it comes, however, to 'hating' entire groups of individuals, or a particular religious mindset/belief, (Christians, Muslims, or whatever, for example) that is something that June just can't relate to. Granted, June lives in the northeast where prior to joining city-data she had never really encountered an evangelical Christian, or a fundamentalist Christian, or a literalist Christian, or a 'bible banging Christian' of any real sort. (Perhaps she had occasionally, but for the most part, not so much.)

What is June's point here? In part, the irony of the fact that a few months prior to (quite accidentally) stumbling upon the Religion Forum of CD, June had had a conversation with a friend who expressed to June their hatred towards ("bible banging") Christians. We just don't have a whole lotta that going down up here in the great northeast. June's friend vented vast amounts of frustration around what she perceived as something outside her grasp of understanding based on what she read, heard, saw on television, and within the 'political realm' of things. June well remembers her (June's) response to this friend. June stated that while she didn't quite understand Christians in general, either, that she was more intrigued and compelled to want to understand them in order to better understand her own feelings and reactions. Ironic that upon finding the Religion Forum, June has been that much better able to do so.

"Hatred" and "self victimization" and "Christianity" create an inner feeling of cognitive dissonance in June. Even stronger than the very words "hatred" and "victimization" is the word:

Stereotyping.

When one beholds large groups of individuals that one cannot relate to, identify with, one is that much more vulnerable to the perils of stereotyping them. --Which is something June has forever and always actively resisted within her 'just June' self. June hopes that she understands those very individuals who at one time here in the northeast seemed/appeared so foreign to her. Does that mean that she has acquired complete and total understanding? Hardly. But it also does not mean that she must have acquired that in order to have something else that is equally if not more powerful than the words cited herein: Tolerance. Acceptance.

June tends to feel that a given individual's religious faith/belief is precisely that: theirs. As an atheist June doesn't have a problem with that. Her hope, however, is in this: That just as June may not be fully able to understand the fundamental dynamics of faith and belief, just as the believer is unable to understand the fundamental dynamics of the atheist's mindset, that none the less there can exist peaceful acceptance on both parts. Because we are all first and foremost human beings.

It is when we stereotype and thereby judge those whom we don't understand, and that which is unfamiliar and foreign to us that such words/attitudes such as "hatred" are that much more capable of gaining access and entrance through the door into our minds. A door which is otherwise, thereafter, tightly locked. --Because stereotyping, judgement, and hatred ultimately serve the purpose of keeping a person locked in their own place of victimization. Of self, and others.

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity