Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

I started this thread to reveal something interesting about the New World Translation Bible mainly used by Jehovah's Witnesses. A person replied to my post regarding Luke 23:43 that says Verily, Verily I say unto you, today you will be with me in paradise. She stated that we don't know where the comma should be placed, and I told her that I would agree with her if this was the only verse that said Verily, Verily I say unto you.

Just reading the context of this verse clearly tells us where the comma should be placed, especially in light of what the rest of Scripture teaches about being absent from the body PRESENT with the Lord when one dies.

What's interesting too is that this phrase is used 74 times in the bible? Just look it up in a bible concordance, and in all 74 times you will see that a comma is placed in the same place after Verily I say unto you.

Now what's so interesting, the New World Translation is the only bible that deems it necessary to place the comma in this verse after today, but keep the commas consistently after the phrase for the 73 other verses that use this same phrase. This makes me go hummmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Also to say Verily, Verily I say unto you today, you will be with me in paradise instead of Verily Verily I say unto you, Today you will be with me in paradise, does not make good sense.

It would have been needless for Jesus to say, " Today I am telling this to you." Of course he was. What other day would He have been speaking of to the thief on? JESUS NEVER ADDED THE WORD TODAY WHEN SPEAKING TO ANYONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 AM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Hi Antredd, I have to respectfully disagree that the context of the verse tells us where the commas are to be placed. There are very many scriptures which speak of the dead being in their graves, of actually being dead. I believe that we are present with the Lord upon our death because He holds the keys to death and the unseen state, but I do not believe that we are consciously alive with Him. I also believe that there is a good case for the comma to be placed after the word today or this day, in light of other scriptures which have the same phrase or pattern in the Hebrew language. I have also read that "today" can also be translated as "this day" , some believing the it refers to the day that Jesus comes into His kingdom. The thief would be with Jesus in Paradise on the day that Jesus came into His kingdom. Thanks for sharing and God bless.

Other translations which have the comma placed after the word "today" or "this day"

Luke 23
39 And, one of the suspended evil-doers, began to defame him - Art not, thou, the Christ? Save thyself and us! 40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, and said - Neither fearest, thou, God, in that thou art, in the same judgment? 41 And, we, indeed, justly, - for, things worthy of what we have done, are we duly receiving, but, this man, nothing amiss, hath done. 42 And he went on to say - Jesus! remember me, whensoever thou shalt come into thy kingdom. 43 And he said unto him - Verily, I say unto thee this day: With me, shalt thou be in Paradise. (J.B. Rotherham Bible)

Luke 23:43
And said to him the Jesus, Indeed I say to thee today, with me shalt thou be in the paradise (Emphatic Diaglott)

Luke 23
39 Now one of the hanged malefactors blasphemed Him, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
40 Yet answering, the other one, rebuking him, averred, "Yet you are not fearing God, seeing that you are in the same judgment!
41 And we, indeed, justly, for we are getting back the deserts of what we commit, yet this One commits nothing amiss."
42 And he said to Jesus, "Be reminded of me, Lord, whenever Thou mayest be coming in Thy kingdom."
43 And Jesus said to him, "Verily, to you am I saying today, with Me shall you be in paradise." (Concordant Literal NT)

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/827268/L...er-23-Verse-43

(Universalist in this article is not referring to one who holds to the belief in the eventual restoration of all)

Luke 23:43 (Darby English Version) :: Forerunner Commentary :: Bible Tools

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7002467/A-...liam-M-Wachtel

http://hereafter.reslight.net/?p=94

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-30-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,491,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Antredd, I have to respectfully disagree that the context of the verse tells us where the commas are to be placed. There are very many scriptures which speak of the dead being in their graves, of actually being dead. I believe that we are present with the Lord upon our death because He holds the keys to death and the unseen state, but I do not believe that we are consciously alive with Him. I also believe that there is a good case for the comma to be placed after the word today or this day, in light of other scriptures which have the same phrase or pattern in the Hebrew language. I have also read that "today" can also be translated as "this day" , some believing the it refers to the day that Jesus comes into His kingdom. The thief would be with Jesus in Paradise on the day that Jesus came into His kingdom. Thanks for sharing and God bless.

Luke Chapter 23 Verse 43

(Universalist in this article is not referring to one who holds to the belief in the eventual restoration of all)

Luke 23:43 (Darby English Version) :: Forerunner Commentary :: Bible Tools

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7002467/A-...liam-M-Wachtel

The Repentant Criminal in Paradise — Luke 23:42,43 | Life Now and Hereafter
Greetings, ShanaBrown: Did you read what Antredd wrote? It is ALWAYS suspicious when an exception to an established norm is used ONLY in places which benefit the preconceived theology of a person or group--ALWAYS.

There is absolutely NO justification for claiming that Jesus was saying "Verily, verily I say unto TODAY, . . . " except to promote a theological falsehood or bias. No justification.

Clearly, Jesus said, "Verily, verily I say unto you, today you shall be with Me in paradise." JW "translators" moved the comma, despite the numerous passages that have it before "today" (as Antredd pointed out and which you ignored) for the sole purpose of twisting the Scriptures to their own ends. This is not the only place they have done so!

That very day, that very thief was with Christ in paradise. The Scriptures are clear.

Preterist

Old 05-30-2009, 06:26 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,345,230 times
Can you tell us about punctuation in the Koine Greek, Preterist?

kai eipen autw o ihsous amhn legw soi shmeron met emou esh en tw paradeisw

Last edited by Birdy_56; 05-30-2009 at 06:46 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 06:33 AM

Or, Preterist, what does Dr. Daniel Wallace (your Greek instructor for four years at Grace Theological Seminary) have to say regarding punctuation in Koine?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Clearly, Jesus said, "Verily, verily I say unto you, today you shall be with Me in paradise." JW "translators" moved the comma, despite the numerous passages that have it before "today"
What comma (,) did those rascals move?

kai eipen autw o ihsous amhn legw soi shmeron met emou esh en tw paradeisw

Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 AM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Just sharing some notes:

Actually, the phrase "I say unto you this day" (or "...today") is "a common Hebrew idiom which is constantly used for very solemn emphasis" (E. W. Bullinger, Appendix 173, from The Companion Bible). Thus, it would not have been that unusual for Jesus to have said, "Truly I say to you today..." instead of applying the word "today" to the phrase which followed. His statement to the dying thief would certainly constitute a declaration with "solemn emphasis." Brother Curtis Dickinson wrote, "The Greek adverb here rendered 'today' appears in the Septuagint and the New Testament 221 times. In 170 of these places the adverb follows the verb it modifies. For example: 'I declare to you this day, that ye shall surely perish' (Deut. 30:18). Therefore, it would be natural to punctuate Luke 23:43 as follows: 'Truly I say to you today, you will be with me in Paradise.' Paul uses a similar turn of phrase in Acts 20:26 -- 'I testify to you this day, that I am innocent of the blood of all men'" (The Witness, Vol. 30, No. 8, August 1990).
"In suggesting that the words of our Lord to the thief can only be understood by re-arranging the punctuation we are often accused of tampering with the text. This is a false accusation because any punctuation is an addition to the text. The correct punctuation can only be determined by comparing Scripture with Scripture" (A. W. Fowler, "Jesus' Promise to the Dying Thief," an article in Resurrection Magazine, Autumn 1991). Of course, when we compare Scripture with Scripture we discover that there is no way Jesus was with this thief in Paradise that day, nor do the Scriptures teach immortal soulism, or Hadean holding areas for disembodied spirits, or judgment and reward prior to the resurrection on the Last Day. Thus, the placement of the comma that best harmonizes with the teaching of Scripture is to place it after "today." "Thus, Jesus is not teaching conscious existence in paradise immediately after death in an intermediate state!" (Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible, Vol. 4). [LEFT]"This emphatic use of 'today' is a common idiom in both Hebrew and Aramaic which are the two Semitic languages in which the Old Testament was written. The idiom is used to introduce a solemn statement. 'I ... to you today' when the verb is one of declaration, testification, command or oath

Reflections 28a

Again, as I shared earlier, if the comma is to go before the words "you shall be with Me in Paradise" it could also refer to that time when Jesus returns, comes into His kingdom, glory, power as the word "today" is also translated as "this day":

"Verily, verily I say to you, this day you will be with Me in Paradise"

Hope that helps. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-30-2009 at 07:13 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 07:05 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Just reading the context of this verse clearly tells us where the comma should be placed, especially in light of what the rest of Scripture teaches about being absent from the body PRESENT with the Lord when one dies.
When one dies and is resurrected. Mortality is swallowed up in life at the resurrection. (2 Cor 5:4, 1 Cor 15:51-54)

Quote:
What's interesting too is that this phrase is used 74 times in the bible? Just look it up in a bible concordance, and in all 74 times you will see that a comma is placed in the same place after Verily I say unto you.

Now what's so interesting, the New World Translation is the only bible that deems it necessary to place the comma in this verse after today, but keep the commas consistently after the phrase for the 73 other verses that use this same phrase. This makes me go hummmmmmmmmmmmmm?
I think this is a strong argument.

Quote:
Also to say Verily, Verily I say unto you today, you will be with me in paradise instead of Verily Verily I say unto you, Today you will be with me in paradise, does not make good sense.

It would have been needless for Jesus to say, " Today I am telling this to you." Of course he was. What other day would He have been speaking of to the thief on? JESUS NEVER ADDED THE WORD TODAY WHEN SPEAKING TO ANYONE.
He did in the OT, repeatedly in Deuteronomy... "I command thee this day...."

Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Of course, when we compare Scripture with Scripture we discover that there is no way Jesus was with this thief in Paradise that day, nor do the Scriptures teach immortal soulism...
Not sure that being "in paradise" that day would necessarily imply immortal soulism if the passage is understood inwardly instead of literally.

2 Corinthians 12:4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter

Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Isaiah 51:3 For the LORD shall comfort Zion: he will comfort all her waste places; and he will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the LORD; joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of melody.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Greetings, ShanaBrown: Did you read what Antredd wrote? It is ALWAYS suspicious when an exception to an established norm is used ONLY in places which benefit the preconceived theology of a person or group--ALWAYS.

There is absolutely NO justification for claiming that Jesus was saying "Verily, verily I say unto TODAY, . . . " except to promote a theological falsehood or bias. No justification.

Clearly, Jesus said, "Verily, verily I say unto you, today you shall be with Me in paradise." JW "translators" moved the comma, despite the numerous passages that have it before "today" (as Antredd pointed out and which you ignored) for the sole purpose of twisting the Scriptures to their own ends. This is not the only place they have done so!

That very day, that very thief was with Christ in paradise. The Scriptures are clear.

Preterist
Amen...Preterist!!

Blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity