Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
We should all keep in mind the value of the different levels of spiritual "maturity", as Miss Blue put it.

For me, perhaps the most aggressive individual on here was Moderator cut: an unnamed poster. He would post thread after thread visciously attacking my spiritual path, demand a verse from the version of the Bible he chose to be God's word, and then call me everything from "deceived" to "ignorant" to "lost" to "taken by the devil" and all the rest from the repertoire.

In his sincere attempts to draw people to Christ, his vitriolic approach certainly drew the worst out in me, leading to more than a couple infractions.

Then I read a testimony he wrote on a thread about how he has long struggled with alcohlism and, like our former president, he turned to a fundamentalist lifestyle as a tool for holding himself up when he didn't have the strength to do so on his own. The "Jesus, take the wheel" line, if you will.

In understanding his personal journey, I came to respect where he was in his growth and that he needed to believe only those who agree with him could possibly be loved and accepted by God and Christ. He needed to attack people like me not for the sake of God or Jesus, but for his own psychological needs.

I feel this is the strongest value of fundamentalism and why we need to protect people's right to experience it and to not take it personally when they lash out at us. It is such an important step on the journey back to God.
So you've been a fundamentalist in the past then? (And I don't mean past life, I mean your current life.)

Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Not "acting like Christ" is a low blow.
No, not acting like Christ is a sin to a Christian.

But you were the one that said your Christ is different than mine.....so....what am I to do with that?

I'm sure you don't think you're following the wrong Jesus so you just told me that I'm not following the 'real'(Read:your) Jesus, right?

So where's the low blow?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, not acting like Christ is a sin to a Christian.

But you were the one that said your Christ is different than mine.....so....what am I to do with that?

I'm sure you don't think you're following the wrong Jesus so you just told me that I'm not following the 'real'(Read:your) Jesus, right?

So where's the low blow?
I was bating to you Alpha and trying to prove my point of threads like these
I don't mind you disagree; that is your perogative but to throw this guilt trip on people like me is unfair and unfounded based on scripture. Not "acting like Christ" is a low blow. God made us all with different personalities to keep us on our toes and balanced imo; You show me aside which I sometimes forget where I pray to God to always remind me. Neither way is perfect because we are fallen and neither way brings or scares people from Christ. God draws them not us. Our job is only to preach the truth but in a loving, civil manner.

God Bless my friend and I thank God that there are Christians like you to keep me grounded and balanced with my walk with Him.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I was bating to you Alpha and trying to prove my point of threads like these
I don't mind you disagree; that is your perogative but to throw this guilt trip on people like me is unfair and unfounded based on scripture. Not "acting like Christ" is a low blow. God made us all with different personalities to keep us on our toes and balanced imo; You show me aside which I sometimes forget where I pray to God to always remind me. Neither way is perfect because we are fallen and neither way brings or scares people from Christ. God draws them not us. Our job is only to preach the truth but in a loving, civil manner.

God Bless my friend and I thank God that there are people like you to keep me grounded and balanced with my walk with Him.
I don't understand your 'baiting' and I don't understand what your point is.

You told me that my Christ is someone you don't recognize.

That's not a bait, that's a very divisive line in the sand.

I guess I just don't 'get it', so forgive me. And thanks for the kinds words.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
So you've been a fundamentalist in the past then? (And I don't mean past life, I mean your current life.)
No. It is not as if we all enter this world at the same level or with the same objectives.

Some are blocked from any experience of the divine in order to further the means of science and rationality. Others are so connected they can barely - if at all - relate to the primitive society we have built.

Most of us reside at various stages in the middle experienced through all sorts of different spiritual paths.

To suggest that I must have been a fundamentalist at some point would require all to have been that - from Native American medicine men to Eastern masters of Yogic traditions to businessmen. Obviously we all choose the time and place for this life in order to experience an aspect of the relative universe that best suits our personal growth.

That's why it's critical for us to respect the journey of fundamentalists, so long as they do not tip over the precarious edge into violence and terrorism (as, unfortunately, so often happens when the verbal abuse of and intolerance for others' paths we witness on this forum escalates into physical violence in the real world).

Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
I don't understand your 'baiting' and I don't understand what your point is.

You told me that my Christ is someone you don't recognize.

That's not a bait, that's a very divisive line in the sand.

I guess I just don't 'get it', so forgive me. And thanks for the kinds words.
baiting by deliberately showing you aside that you wouldn't agree about Christianity with so as to make you respond. What we do in this forum is no different than what Jesus did with the Pharisees. debating is good and healthy but it is how we debate that could be considered not Christian.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
No. It is not as if we all enter this world at the same level or with the same objectives.

Some are blocked from any experience of the divine in order to further the means of science and rationality. Others are so connected they can barely - if at all - relate to the primitive society we have built.

Most of us reside at various stages in the middle experienced through all sorts of different spiritual paths.

To suggest that I must have been a fundamentalist at some point would require all to have been that - from Native American medicine men to Eastern masters of Yogic traditions to businessmen. Obviously we all choose the time and place for this life in order to experience an aspect of the relative universe that best suits our personal growth.

That's why it's critical for us to respect the journey of fundamentalists, so long as they do not tip over the precarious edge into violence and terrorism (as, unfortunately, so often happens when the verbal abuse of and intolerance for others' paths we witness on this forum escalates into physical violence in the real world).
So fundamentalism is an important step (your words) that you missed?

Perhaps the poster you mentioned wasn't as upset with what you believe and say as he was with the fact that you try and fly it under the banner of 'Christian'. Which it ain't.

Anyone is open to believe any and everything they want to. Some people claim to have met Jesus in person. Claim they are like Jesus(Mystic did that in this thread) Himself. Claim that God told their dog to tell them something. etc....and....well....that's all fine and dandy....but just don't try to 'sell it' as Christian....and that, I suspect, is why the poster you called out was so passionate about his (and your) comments.

But I could be wrong.

Again, like I said earlier, there is VERY LITTLE Christian about the Christianity sub-forum at City-Data.com. There's so many beliefs held up as Christian here there's NO WAY a person (without God's help) could ever see Truth here.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
We should all keep in mind the value of the different levels of spiritual "maturity", as Miss Blue put it.

For me, perhaps the most aggressive individual on here was Moderator cut: an unnamed poster. He would post thread after thread visciously attacking my spiritual path, demand a verse from the version of the Bible he chose to be God's word, and then call me everything from "deceived" to "ignorant" to "lost" to "taken by the devil" and all the rest from the repertoire.

In his sincere attempts to draw people to Christ, his vitriolic approach certainly drew the worst out in me, leading to more than a couple infractions.

Then I read a testimony he wrote on a thread about how he has long struggled with alcohlism and, like our former president, he turned to a fundamentalist lifestyle as a tool for holding himself up when he didn't have the strength to do so on his own. The "Jesus, take the wheel" line, if you will.

In understanding his personal journey, I came to respect where he was in his growth and that he needed to believe only those who agree with him could possibly be loved and accepted by God and Christ. He needed to attack people like me not for the sake of God or Jesus, but for his own psychological needs.

I feel this is the strongest value of fundamentalism and why we need to protect people's right to experience it and to not take it personally when they lash out at us. It is such an important step on the journey back to God.
Quote:

You all want to know what has happened? It's arrogant, condescending posts like this and the allowed takeover of lies versus truth. This started out as a Christianity sub-forum, now it is nothing of the sort. If you claim the word "christian" even if you obviously are not, you are allowed to spew the most outrageous, ridiculous and deceitful garbage most people have ever heard.

That's what has happened.

Moderator cut: an unnamed poster is being attacked when he isn't even on the board anymore. He is a wonderful, Christ like example of what has been lost because these lies are allowed to continue. It is Christians like him that have all left because the board is so lopsided in favor of lies. God's truth will prevail, with or without the defense of the truth here. Praise God!!

Moderator cut: an unnamed poster is now a moderator at a REAL Christian board that does not allow the lies of Satan. I am also a member. The point is that nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians have to tolerate this nonsense day in and day out. Everything has been said, everything is circular and there is ABSOLUTELY NO FRUIT here. IMO, the Christianity sub-forum should be shut down. All of this crazy nonsense belongs in the R&P.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Fundamentalism is an important step for some people, and perhaps for all if you are willing to accept what both science (through string theory) and other major spiritual traditions around the world suggest - that there is far more than this one life to experience the journey back to God.

But you do not, so you judge from your worldview who is and who is not "Christian".
I will inform Christ of this development next time he presents himself to me.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Exactly.

If we in fact see ourselves as being "further advanced" or "more mature", what then? Would we mentor our brethren with belittling and badgering, or encouragement and confidence? Do we not know that we are only dust, and if not for His mercy we would all be consumed?

Personally, it was not hammering and force that broke my heart -rather Love, of which the depth, height, breadth and length is too much for me to fathom, much less describe. That's what I want to convey - that's what I want people to understand - not that I can prove my point.

Some may interpret love as imparting the truth without hesitance - I applaud your sincerity but understand the work of God is believing.

Quote:
Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity