Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,283,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I think the point, as it pertains to this forum and thread is, how do we know?

How do we know your path is valid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

That's a good question. How do we know your path is valid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207

Because you say so?

If that's the case then is your path now invalid because I say so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefly

You hold up a book as evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha8207

Christians MUST hold every belief and idea up against God's Word. Because while we waiver, His word does not. While we want to go our own way, His Word shows us His way.

Quote:

the many contradictions...would lead one to conclude that the only way to assume your path is valid is "because you say so".

Quote:

why do you reject what is truth for me?

Quote:

I feel I have something to contribute to a discussion

Quote:

It's not up to you and me to decide what is and is not of God. God's word does that for us.

Quote:

So, then, where does that leave us?

Quote:

...the only unchangeable standard we can have in common for our beliefs and ideas...

Quote:

...Christ's message

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

Even the atheist can tell!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:21 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,715,115 times
Now wait a minute, June.

You added bolded emphasis and seem to suggest a tone in my post that was not there at all.

I said it was a good question. I meant that.

I was simply pointing out that the same questions asked of me could just as easily be asked of Alpha, and in so doing we are both able to come to a common place where we can find different journeys to the same destination.

I won't go through every point, but I certainly have responded to every individual on this thread with cordial respect. Perhaps it is your far more peaceful personality that reads aggression where there is none intended.

If your intention was to simply show the varying notions of Christianity, why is it harmful to have a discussion with different ideas and perspectives?

We can only grow from such interaction. I was raised in a very diverse, global environment and grew exponentially through exposure to spiritual traditions different from my own. It is the way of the cosmopolitan world in which we live.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,893,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I hope that is a sincere thinking going on.

I can tell you there is a vast chasm between bluefly and myself.

While we could both be wrong, we can't both be right.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,703,076 times
Quote:
Now wait a minute, June.

You added bolded emphasis and seem to suggest a tone in my post that was not there at all.

I said it was a good question. I meant that.

I was simply pointing out that the same questions asked of me could just as easily be asked of Alpha, and in so doing we are both able to come to a common place where we can find different journeys to the same destination.

I won't go through every point, but I certainly have responded to every individual on this thread with cordial respect. Perhaps it is your far more peaceful personality that reads aggression where there is none intended.

If your intention was to simply show the varying notions of Christianity, why is it harmful to have a discussion with different ideas and perspectives?

We can only grow from such interaction. I was raised in a very diverse, global environment and grew exponentially through exposure to spiritual traditions different from my own. It is the way of the cosmopolitan world in which we live.

Quote:
Why must you hate and ridicule another human so much without even seeking to understand that person's journey before judging? The beauty of discussion (and intellectualism in general) is the exploration of different perspectives. The Internet has provided a medium to do that the likes of which humanity, in its isolated cultural sects, has never before had.

By supporting Ilene's personal assault on me, you indirectly suggest my spiritual path as being "of a world point of view".

Yet, you could not be further from the truth. One could argue that reliance on a book written by humans and interpreted as God's inerrant Word is far more of a "world point of view" than the deeply personal direct experience I have sought with the one we call God.

But you seek not to understand my path. So be it.
Your post saddens me.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
So can a thread and poll be started like that one about closing the Christianity sub-forum?
No.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM

63,864 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Families argue....but we still love each other!
It's the human thing to do. The desire for a REAL Christian forum is merely the unreasonable request for a thread that is exclusively "Fundamentalist Literalist Calvinist Bibleanity" . . . but called Christianity. Christ-centered means CHRIST-centered . . . NOT BIBLE-centered. The Bible informs and is useful for understanding God as revealed in Jesus Christ . . . NOT as revealed in a BOOK of man's interpretation and design. Expecting "magic" to prevent the inevitable corruptions to which humankind is heir and revering ANY book so created (God-inspired or not) as inerrant or the literal utterance from God's mouth . . . is pure primitive superstition.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 06-03-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,387,371 times
Quote:
I agree and have said the same thing in other areas.

It was the main reason I voted AGAINST the Christian sub-forum way back when it first came up. //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-only-sub.html (In particular here.)
I still stand by my post on that thread (post #147 if yr interested).

I still would rather not be bogged down with the internal debates among Christians. I see that the Christianity forum has gone hog-wild lately but, honestly, the Christian infighting has always looked pretty much like that to me. I still like it to be contained in a forum that I can neatly avoid.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 06-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Expecting "magic" to prevent the inevitable corruptions to which humankind is heir and revering ANY book so created (God-inspired or not) as inerrant or the literal utterance from God's mouth . . . is pure primitive superstition.
Thanks for your (lack of) tolerance and tact. March on, mighty warrior, march on!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,169,325 times
I haven't posted much or read much here in quite awhile because I didn't like who I had become here. I became what I most struggled not to be and became what I most spoke out against.

Bottom line...I had moved away from the Lord and became a believer more into being right than being grateful to be living under Grace.

I know that what I most must do is talk to the Lord. I can read His Word all I want to, but what I most need to do is be in contact with Him and His Will.

This morning I was reading in Titus.

3:1-2 "Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility towards all men."

3:9-11 "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned."

I became the opposite of the first verses...and saw the second set in myself...so I removed myself as much as possible.

2 Timothy 2:23-24 "Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, and not resentful."

That is where I am...what I am striving for... There is too much arrogance and strife at this forum for me to walk the walk (I'm including myself in that).

I am grateful for a forgiving God.

1 Timothy 1:15-17 "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I am grateful for a forgiving God.

1 Timothy 1:15-17 "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

My life verses!

God bless you, SW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity