Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You all want to know what has happened? It's arrogant, condescending posts like this and the allowed takeover of lies versus truth. This started out as a Christianity sub-forum, now it is nothing of the sort. If you claim the word "christian" even if you obviously are not, you are allowed to spew the most outrageous, ridiculous and deceitful garbage most people have ever heard.

That's what has happened.

Moderator cut: an unnamed poster is being attacked when he isn't even on the board anymore. He is a wonderful, Christ like example of what has been lost because these lies are allowed to continue. It is Christians like him that have all left because the board is so lopsided in favor of lies. God's truth will prevail, with or without the defense of the truth here. Praise God!!

Moderator cut: an unnamed poster is now a moderator at a REAL Christian board that does not allow the lies of Satan. I am also a member. The point is that nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians have to tolerate this nonsense day in and day out. Everything has been said, everything is circular and there is ABSOLUTELY NO FRUIT here. IMO, the Christianity sub-forum should be shut down. All of this crazy nonsense belongs in the R&P.
I'm sorry you interpret my post as arrogant. I can assure you it is not. It was far from an attack on the poster-who-shall-not-be-named.

It was a tribute to his journey, if you'd bother to read before judging.

The only difference between your path in Christ and mine is that you rely on a book Christ never prophecized or stated my be followed and I am open to the direct experiences he shares with me.

Both are certainly Christian and valid to be discussed on a Christian forum. I feel sorry that you cannot see the value of different paths in Christ than your own, but I cannot be held accountable for that.

Edit: In addition, ask yourself whether you see my post as arrogant simply because you walk a different path. From that perspective, I see in your post the potential for someone to interpret it as arrogance because you assert your path to be accurate. Who is correct? Perhaps we both are.

I certainly don't interpret your post as arrogant because I understand from where you are coming in your sincerity of sharing your own journey in Christ. Perhaps you could abide me the same courtesy.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Exactly.

If we in fact see ourselves as being "further advanced" or "more mature", what then? Would we mentor our brethren with belittling and badgering, or encouragement and confidence? Do we not know that we are only dust, and if not for His mercy we would all be consumed?

Personally, it was not hammering and force that broke my heart -rather Love, of which the depth, height, breadth and length is too much for me to fathom, much less describe. That's what I want to convey - that's what I want people to understand - not that I can prove my point.

Some may interpret love as imparting the truth without hesitance - I applaud your sincerity but understand the work of God is believing.
Good point.

There is an older gentleman in my life who walks all the spiritual paths. Reminds me of the boy in "Life of Pi". It was in his embodiment of unconditional love - a powerful energy that just eminated from his being - that I first awoke to what Jesus really meant.

It was through experiencing the love - not the words - of another human in the flesh.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm sorry you interpret my post as arrogant. I can assure you it is not. It was far from an attack on the poster-who-shall-not-be-named.

It was a tribute to his journey, if you'd bother to read before judging.

The only difference between your path in Christ and mine is that you rely on a book Christ never prophecized or stated my be followed and I am open to the direct experiences he shares with me.

Both are certainly Christian and valid to be discussed on a Christian forum. I feel sorry that you cannot see the value of different paths in Christ than your own, but I cannot be held accountable for that.
I think the point, as it pertains to this forum and thread is, how do we know?

How do we know your path is valid?

Because you say so?

If that's the case then is your path now invalid because I say so?

And, if not, why do you reject what is truth for me?

You see the issue?

That's why Christians MUST hold every belief and idea up against God's Word. Because while we waiver, His word does not. While we want to go our own way, His Word shows us His way.

It's not up to you and me to decide what is and is not of God. God's word does that for us. And it's the only unchangeable standard we can have in common for our beliefs and ideas.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I sometime wrack my pea brain trying to come up with a friendship thread that maybe if we knew a bit more about each other we would be more understanding and less judgemental..
Yes! I agree.

That's exactly what I had in mind with my "Thanking God for the 'little things'" thread. I thought if we all stopped and just shared what little things we are each specifically thankful for, it would be a great way to get to know each other and simulataneously show praise to God. You can learn a lot about someone by what "little things" that they are thankful for.

Peace you guys..
sparrow

Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
You all want to know what has happened? It's arrogant, condescending posts like this and the allowed takeover of lies versus truth. This started out as a Christianity sub-forum, now it is nothing of the sort. If you claim the word "christian" even if you obviously are not, you are allowed to spew the most outrageous, ridiculous and deceitful garbage most people have ever heard.

Moderator cut: an unnamed poster is being attacked when he isn't even on the board anymore. He is a wonderful, Christ like example of what has been lost because these lies are allowed to continue. It is Christians like him that have all left because the board is so lopsided in favor of lies. God's truth will prevail, with or without the defense of the truth here. Praise God!!

Moderator cut: an unnamed poster is now a moderator at a REAL Christian board that does not allow the lies of Satan. I am also a member. The point is that nowhere in the Bible does it say that Christians have to tolerate this nonsense day in and day out. Everything has been said, everything is circular and there is ABSOLUTELY NO FRUIT here. IMO, the Christianity sub-forum should be shut down. All of this crazy nonsense belongs in the R&P.
All this while the Bible is being discussed. I used to be engrained in Pentecost, believing (perhaps) just as you do - it's fundamental Christianity - nothing wrong with that if we're Christ-centered.

But we know them by their fruits.

It is God that we love and are focused on, and if you will step back and see that He is being glorified in a manner that - I hope - is not being antagonistic or argumentative, but rather remains in a format favorable for debate. No one is calling you names are saying that we think you're getting your info from Satan, and we don't claim to have a monopoly on truth - only He does - but it is line upon line, growing in grace, and receiving the revelation of Jesus Christ as we go on with Him.

Please refrain from attacking, that's all I'm asking.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I think the point, as it pertains to this forum and thread is, how do we know?

Because you say so?

If that's the case then is your path now invalid because I say so?

And, if not, why do you reject what is truth for me?

You see the issue?

That's why Christians MUST hold every belief and idea up against God's Word. Because while we waiver, His word does not. While we want to go our own way, His Word shows us His way.

It's not up to you and me to decide what is and is not of God. God's word does that for us. And it's the only unchangeable standard we can have in common for our beliefs and ideas.
That's a good question. I would ask the same of you.

You hold up a book as evidence, but any cursory inquiry into the history of its creation, its many incarnations, its many interpretations, its many different books chosen by one group to be included and by another to be excluded, and the many contradictions laid bare by scholars would lead one to conclude that the only way to assume your path is valid is "because you say so".

So, then, where does that leave us? I would say only the experiences we have in which we can find common ground in the shared journey of God's presence in our lives, regardless of our paths.

I do not assert my path as the "absolute" truth. Far from it, in fact, as you can garner from my posts.

I begin with the question, "What works?" and then test which path leads me to a deeper union with God (regardless of cultural persuasions). In so doing, seeming coincidences reveal themselves to be part of a larger structure and reveal profound messages. Christ becomes not an entity to believe in, but rather a direct and formidable presence in my life in very real, visceral ways. As such, I begin to see God in all aspects of life.

I certainly have a long ways to go in this journey, and perhaps I am being tricked by Satan or whatnot. If I am, then I would choose Satan's path of world peace and love over the one of dogmatic self-righteousness and "spiritual warfare" espoused on this forum.

Either way, I feel I have something to contribute to a discussion on the nature of Christ's message because he has played such a formidable role in my journey, even after pulling away completely from my Christian upbringing. I grow weary of having to defend my right to share and learn on this forum simply because my path differs from how you define a "Christian".

In the end, though, it does not warrant being called the names I have and ridiculed in the way I have by the-poster-who-shall-not-be-named and the above poster on this very thread who launch ridicule and insults against those who walk a different path.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
For myself personally,

I stopped posting so much here as it has turned into nothing short of ugly. I see people who are beautiful in their personal walks with our Savior and King, and I see those who feel that the carnal side of life is something to be mastered and conquered. Including what their presumption of God is, and the message of Jesus.

Either we walk according to the Spirit, or we don't. It has been this way since the Garden of Eden was reopened by Jesus. There really is only 2 choices, and some 'on here' let their pride of life, or their thoughts of what they feel the after-life, dominate any sort of semblence of love. Oh but they will claim they do the things they do out of love, but really, is it? Even the atheist can tell what is of love and what isn't. Even a child can. Even a dog can. So, why is it that things get really ugly, when the message hasn't changed since the beginning of time...love one another, as He has loved us......

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic
Amen!
You know why Little elmer the answer to that question..... !!! And Alpha is right! The one's who looked the most like Christ.....left! And I miss them so much!
It use to be a great place to interact with others....
Now days very few that are left find it difficult to try to post, they're usually put on defense immediately because of a certain group who has such agenda to get across, instead of the love of God to share and to agree to disagree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Where is that in scripture? and how is agreeing to disagree showing the love of God?
2 Tim.2:14
Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to ruin of the hearers. Be diligent to present your self approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness.

1Tim. 6:4-5
He is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicious, useless wranglings of men of corrupted minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.

2 Tim.2:22-
Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient.

Walk away when someone doesn't agree with you....that is agreeing to disagree! Christ did it all the time with the Pharisees...... but some just want to keep on being nasty, vindictive, condescending, to a person.....when they post!! And keep harping them with their agenda of what they think the Lord is saying.....

I have been on this sub-forum for almost two years....and some know where I stand on certain issues, but do they respect that? No....they keep replying to my post with their same agenda.
I can almost repeat the copy and paste of some, along with their continuous provoking here...putting one on the defense, when they continue to say we are brainwashed by the doctrine of the Church, baby killers, and so forth!
They have no idea where I have come from and telling me that the work of the Holy Spirit in my life is a lie.....whooa! If only they knew what they were saying!!
And let me tell you.... I have walked away many, many times! I know I have stumbled there lately, but a human truly can take so much of such lies and garbage!!!

Blessings

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 06-03-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:

Amen.... I agree also it should be turned back over to R&P!!! Everything discuss here these days is more of a world point of view. Not Christian!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:

I was just re-reading Ilene's personal attack against me and it struck me that we should be joyous in what this forum offers.

She and the other poster now focus their attention on what they deem a "REAL Christian forum", which I can only assume means that everybody agrees with one another. There is no real discussion about the fundamentals of their faith, only the cursory interpretations of various verses and such.

What has always drawn me to this forum is that it has been open to the many varieties of Christian perspectives, ranging from Fundamentalist and Betsey Lane to Reverend1111 and MysticPhD, as well as input from a few Muslims and Native Americans and Atheists.

I celebrate the differences and learn quite a bit when people act out of civility and respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity