Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
BT,You do know this is getting way the hell off topic......
Actually I don't know. Talking about how I think Tim Tebow wearing his Christian pin a little too loud on the college football field would be off topic.

My post was directly in line with what June posted earlier regarding tone.

Please let me know if my post now makes sense. As I'm the only one in 100 posts to have a post screened as being "off topic" I want to make sure I'm 100% in compliance with the TOS. Any future help in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said here, but it does make a difference how someome interprets the Bible, not everyone is listening to the Holy Spirt for interpration. And we sure don't all believe the same thing, that is part of what is causing the disagreements.
But ILNC, when you say "listening to the Holy Spirit" is that not what Paul was saying? We can't read it in the "natural" - without a relationship and being led through that by Him.

I firmly believe (and you're free to disagree) that what He's saying to you now through His word may be applied differently twenty years from now. Has He changed?

No - but you have.

Does that make any sense?

Old 06-03-2009, 01:35 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
But ILNC, when you say "listening to the Holy Spirit" is that not what Paul was saying? We can't read it in the "natural" - without a relationship and being led through that by Him.

I firmly believe (and you're free to disagree) that what He's saying to you now through His word may be applied differently twenty years from now. Has He changed?

No - but you have.

Does that make any sense?
I agree that a person cannot understand Scipture without the Holy Spirit and He does not change but neither does what His Word means change.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Actually I don't know. Talking about how I think Tim Tebow wearing his Christian pin a little too loud on the college football field would be off topic.

My post was directly in line with what June posted earlier regarding tone.

Please let me know if my post now makes sense. As I'm the only one in 100 posts to have a post screened as being "off topic" I want to make sure I'm 100% in compliance with the TOS. Any future help in the area would be greatly appreciated.

BT, don't take it seriously...

Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I agree that a person cannot understand Scipture without the Holy Spirit and He does not change but neither does what His Word means change.
You understand what I mean about us being in different places then? The road is long...

Old 06-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I believe Elmer was talking about how His word is applied.
Yes - I have a mouth full of corn chips, maybe I wuznt pernonzing it wery well...

Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
BT, don't take it seriously...
My apologies. However, you have to understand I'm a little.. gun shy of posting in this subforum.. hence my decrease (and continued decrease) of posting in here.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
<--- and I don't mean that in the way bigthirsty interprets it. I mean it in the 'I agree with you, right on!' kinda way.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:54 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
Default Jude 1 - selected verses

3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.

4 For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

8 In the very same way, these dreamers pollute their own bodies, reject authority and slander celestial beings.

10 Yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand; and what things they do understand by instinct, like unreasoning animals—these are the very things that destroy them.

11Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam's error; they have been destroyed in Korah's rebellion.

12 These men are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm—shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted—twice dead. 13 They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.

14 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15 to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him." 16 These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage.

17 But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." 19 These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

22 Be merciful to those who doubt; 23 snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

~~~~~

Jesus said, "Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division." (Luke 12:51)

Thus the people were divided because of Jesus. (John 7:43)

They stumbled over the "stumbling stone." (Romans 9:32)

"See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame." Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,
........"The stone the builders rejected
........has become the capstone," and,
........"A stone that causes men to stumble
........and a rock that makes them fall."
They stumble because they disobey the message. . . (1 Peter 2:6-8)

~~~~~

Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow. (Colossians 2:18-19)

~~~~~

You hypocrites! You know how to analyze the appearance of the earth and the sky, but why do you not analyze this present time? And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right? (Luke 12:56-57)

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. (1 Corinthians 5:12-13)

Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church! I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? (1 Corinthians 6:2-5)

~~~~~

Finally, the real reason some don't want to acknowledge the Bible . . .

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. (Hebrews 4:12-13)

~~~~~

Our love feasts will remain blemished because we don't acknowledge the truth of God's Word and we turn a blind eye to pretenders. (Blueberry)

Some of us believe it is important to contend for the faith. The question is: Which Faith? (Blueberry)

Last edited by Blueberry; 06-03-2009 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: added thought

Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Hi, I believe that we can be aware, contend for the faith and make judgments without being disrespectful of or rude to others who may disagree with us on certain subjects. It is also not a good idea to spread false information about someone or some teaching or belief. Even those who are devoid of the spirit are people that Jesus died for and even those who have God's Holy Spirit and who have the faith were once His enemies and deceived. God even gave Jesus for them even knowing what they would do. Jesus knows all hearts and is the righteous judge. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-03-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity