Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:43 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times

Advertisements

If the doctrine eternal torture is true, then why is it that God allows it? What is the purpose? Who benefits from their being tortured for eternity?

Just a question i have asked in other threads but never was given an answer, so i started a new thread for the sole purpose of the question itself in hopes that people will at least try to answer it ...

What are your thoughts? ...

Old 06-07-2009, 02:07 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,374 times
Here is the truth in the Bible:

REV 20

10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Here "HELL" means the grave.

Humans will be resurrected to face God in the Great White Throne Judgment... the wicked whose names are not found in the Book of Life are cast into the Lake of Fire to die a second death. They will NOT be tormented forever because they don't have eternal life. Only Satan and the fallen angels will be tormented forever because they are eternal.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
It appeases christians who think they earnt their salvation through something they did .

Last edited by pcamps; 06-07-2009 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
If the doctrine eternal torture is true, then why is it that God allows it? What is the purpose? Who benefits from their being tortured for eternity?

Just a question i have asked in other threads but never was given an answer, so i started a new thread for the sole purpose of the question itself in hopes that people will at least try to answer it ...

What are your thoughts? ...
Knowing the result before He made man or the lake of fire, God made ceaseless torture for ever for His own pleasure (cf., Rv 4:11) and as an example for us to imitate (cf., Ep 5:1).

"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (Rv 4:11)

"Be ye therefore followers (imitators) of God, as dear children..." (Ep 5:1)

(If your conscience has a problem with that or maybe you've met Jesus, His Spirit indwells you and it doesn't seem like Jesus to do thing infinitely worse than pouring gasoline on a dog and lighting it afire, perhaps you will look a little closer at what actually is written in Scripture and consult the original languages.)

Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It appeases christian who think they earnt their salvation through something they did .
I believe the Great White Throne Judgment is not talking about the Christians... but the unsaved who will be judged according to their works. Notice the Bible is very specific who are those going to be cast into the Lake of Fire.

Rev 21: 8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Remember at that time the Christians were already given eternal life in the 1st Resurrection and Rapture before they return with JC to earth to establish God's Kingdom and rule the humans for 1000 years.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
I believe the Great White Throne Judgment is not talking about the Christians... but the unsaved who will be judged according to their works. Notice the Bible is very specific who are those going to be cast into the Lake of Fire.

Rev 21: 8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Remember at that time the Christians were already given eternal life in the 1st Resurrection and Rapture before they return with JC to earth to establish God's Kingdom and rule the humans for 1000 years.
Let me rephase it . It serves no purpose but to appease the christians who think they earnt their salvation.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM

221 posts, read 379,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
If the doctrine eternal torture is true, then why is it that God allows it?

"God allows it?' We are not puppets. We've been given freedom. If we choose being separated from God's eternal love, then God allows our choice.
Does a choice such as this make Him happy? Absolutely not.
Does He give us a chance to undo this choice? Yes.
Didn't He send His own beloved Son, Jesus, to die in our stead? Yes,
He most certainly did. Praise to the Father!

Old 06-07-2009, 02:52 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
"God allows it?' We are not puppets. We've been given freedom. If we choose being separated from God's eternal love, then God allows our choice.
Does a choice such as this make Him happy? Absolutely not.
Does He give us a chance to undo this choice? Yes.
Didn't He send His own beloved Son, Jesus, to die in our stead? Yes,
He most certainly did. Praise to the Father!
Hi, is God omniscient? In His omnsicience, did He see the choices that we would make and then create an everlasting hell for many, the majority to suffer anyway? Did He send Jesus to be the Savior of the world, but in His omnscience foresee that only a handful would be saved? Will He have all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth and then in His omniscience see that only a few would be saved when He created them? God did not make us to be puppets, but people are said to be blinded and deceived.

2 Cor. 4:
1Because of this, having this ministration, according as we did receive kindness, we do not faint, 2but did renounce for ourselves the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness, nor deceitfully using the word of God, but by the manifestation of the truth recommending ourselves unto every conscience of men, before God;
3and if also our good news is vailed, in those perishing it is vailed, 4in whom the god of this age did blind the minds of the unbelieving, that there doth not shine forth to them the enlightening of the good news of the glory of the Christ, who is the image of God; (YLT)

How can they make an informed choice if they are blinded? I believe that God ultimately does the choosing of us and that He works all things according to the counsel of His own will. (Ephesians 1). Is His will/purpose eternal suffering for those who are lost or is it that all be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth? I believe that it is the latter and that He is working to bring about its fulfiillment. I don't believe that anyone can be separated from God's eternal love because God is love and He is everywhere. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-07-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 03:08 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
to the op:

god's purpose according to your (free) interpretation of the word received by less sophistically armed folks ("blessed are the poor in spirit"!!!).

hint, hint...

Old 06-07-2009, 03:10 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
Today, 10:07 PM
wilvan

Here is the truth in the Bible:

REV 20

10And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Here "HELL" means the grave.

Humans will be resurrected to face God in the Great White Throne Judgment... the wicked whose names are not found in the Book of Life are cast into the Lake of Fire to die a second death. They will NOT be tormented forever because they don't have eternal life. Only Satan and the fallen angels will be tormented forever because they are eternal.

Quote:
limapie

You guys aren't answering my question, i dint ask if it is true why do people go to eternal torture, I asked what purpose does eternal torture serve in Gods plan. If he is all powerful he could makes things work the way he wants them to and man could have free will and God could somehow save all of us at the same time. But according to the doctrine of ET that is not what will happen, instead he will allow them to suffer for eternity ... Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.