Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times

Advertisements

Alright... I feel like every time I look at this forum, I'm looking at Egypt and Israel constantly battling things out prior to the Camp David Accord. And, it seems, absolutely nothing good will ever come of it. Instead of Islam vs. Judaism, though, it seems I'm looking at Christianity vs. Christianity - which is kind of comical to me as I'll admit I expect nothing less.

However, I must admit that it gets a little old glancing up at the latest threads posted in the Christianity forum to see that it seems to revolve around one subject - Am I going to rot in hell? Or aren't I? Personally, I could care less. That's not what the purpose of this thread is about. Rather, the purpose of this thread is to present a challenge. The challenge is as such:

I've noticed endless quotes of Biblical verse and all this other theocratic marginalization of one another's Christian beliefs. Again, I'll reiterate the humor I find in all of that. But, what I rarely, if ever have seen are actual translations of the original texts (Greek, Latin, etc...) to prove the point. I always seem to find people quoting The King James Bible or the Greenland's Close Proximity To North America But So Cold No One Wants To Live There International Kind Of New But Not Brand Spanking New Off The Shelf Version.

So, would it settle it once and for all if you folks could admit that the original texts say one thing or the other? Or is this more a debate about whether the Bible is "spiritually interpreted" in certain ways rather than to be taken literally?

Because, if it's meant to be taken literally, then shouldn't that be the focus of all these absurd threads rather than one section of it? Just a harmless question... Somehow I feel this will just turn into more arguing... Oh well... I'll just watch the show...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times

To me there is a fundamental discrepancy between christians being told to "love your enemies so you will be children of God"

and the belief that God will torment his enemies (unbelieving humans ) forever in a lake of fire.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post

To me there is a fundamental discrepancy between christians being told to "love your enemies so you will be children of God"

and the belief that God will torment his enemies (unbelieving humans ) forever in a lake of fire.
That pretty much sums it up. I declare the debate oficially over..

Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
yup

Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Quote:
yup
...in your dreams......

...TIME TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!...

Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...in your dreams......

...TIME TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!...
so -- you believe in ET?

I could start a sabbath keeping vs resting in Christ thread for you to participate in

Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
so -- you believe in ET?

I could start a sabbath keeping vs resting in Christ thread for you to participate in
...dear, dear meerkat...please, spare me another thread on sabbath keeping vs resting-all-week-in-Christ-"thingy"......

Old 05-29-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...dear, dear meerkat...please, spare me another thread on sabbath keeping vs resting-all-week-in-Christ-"thingy"......
exactly!!!!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Quote:

Christians are called to love their enemies is for their spiritual authority for Heaven, like Christians can NOT go over to the devils camp and hate their enemies , at the same time pray to God in the other camp where rightousness and love is, not connected to the devil camp...... When Christians hate their enemies and pray , than the Word of God calls this witchcraft becauce it contadicts the ways of God, and hate is under the spiritual authority of the devil....So when God and his authority sends satan and his fallen angels and all the people who went over to the devils camp to hell because there is no purpose for them in his camp then this is not true fundamental discrepancy because the AUTHORITY ISSUE of Heaven purpose ....Jesus puts before us all to chose, Life or death, and says ``Chose Life``

Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
You really think starting this thread will end the debating?? That's a might presumptuous. I could start a thread and debate with myself!!! Since I've recently changed my belief to universalism, I could easily debate myself since I was of the ET camp for so many years. Face it, this will never end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity