Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 PM

11,907 posts, read 3,737,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Col 1:20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

Well if Col 1:20 was only speaking of the elect, then it wouldn't have said "all things" would it? It would have somthing like this:
"and through Him to reconcile only the firstfruits/church/elect to Himself, having made peace throught the blood of the cross...."

But since it says "all things", particularly the same "all things" that God created - in heaven and earth - specified to include "dominions & authorities" (of which Satan is part of) in verse 16, then I am inclined to believe the scripture really does mean all things.

Furthermore you must understand what the Lake of Fire is, as that is where Satan is thrown (for ages of ages).

Regarding the lake of fire, what does fire do? Read 1 Cor 3:12-15.
1 Cor 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Now I realize this is talking about man and His works, not Satan. But notice what the fire does - it burns up the man's work, but he himself is saved so as by fire.

This is what the Lake of fire will do for the majority of humanity. I would expect a similar result with Satan and his minions.
This is assuming that there is any good in "Satan" that can be saved - we are told that anything that has anything to do with the deeds of the devil is destined for the "lake of fire" it seems to me that the devil being a murderer and liar "from the beginning" and any bad thing is of the devil, hence our carnal nature, his essense seems to be of the darkeness and corruption that does not inherit incorruption, I do not see how he can be "saved"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 04:03 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,215,431 times
Quote:
I am of the view that "Satan" (who is not a fallen angel) is part of the corruption that does not inherit incorruption and is part of the death that is to be abolished. So no - I do not believe that he is reconciled - he is part of the the "darkness" that is separated from the "light"

Shana where it talks about principalities, powers and kingdoms in Colossians I believe that refers to human ones.

Meerkat, I can see it both ways and still studying. But I also think of the scripture which says that our struggle is against powers in heavenly places.

Eph. 6:12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

How does God destroy death... by giving life. We are being transformed into His image, our old man being put to death. We are a new creation...How does God destroy satan, by turning him into something good if he was created evil from the beginning. Something else, I wonder about is what in the heavens would need to be reconciled to God, if it is not those rulers in the heavenly places that are opposed to us. Just some thoughts with continued study and prayer. I don't really think too much about what happens to satan, but it is an interesting study. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-23-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 04:53 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,394,467 times
Quote:
He was God's right hand "man".
Scripture please, the devil has never been Gods right hand Man..Christ has always held that Glorious Position..

Old 06-23-2009, 05:38 PM

147 posts, read 313,156 times
I don't really understand where this thread is trying to go. If Satan ends up being redeemed what about those who are cast down into Hell for being a non-believer (which I currently consider myself)? A being who was part of Gods kingdom... or better yet if you reject that... a being or entity of pure evil is saved by God? Why do non believers not get such a chance after death? Isn't God supposed to destroy/curse/smite all evil he looks upon?

The only situation I would say makes sense is Satan/The Deceiver/Evil/Adversary is completely wiped out of existence. Thus rectifying the existence of evil in this world.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Meerkat, I can see it both ways and still studying. But I also think of the scripture which says that our struggle is against powers in heavenly places.

Eph. 6:12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

How does God destroy death... by giving life. We are being transformed into His image, our old man being put to death. We are a new creation...How does God destroy satan, by turning him into something good if he was created evil from the beginning. Something else, I wonder about is what in the heavens would need to be reconciled to God, if it is not those rulers in the heavenly places that are opposed to us. Just some thoughts with continued study and prayer. I don't really think too much about what happens to satan, but it is an interesting study. God bless.
I believe those heavenly places are not "spiritual" places -could it be those religious authority that tells the masses what to believe and how to "worship" like the catholic church in the dark ages and the mess of denominations and sects that we have now, each saying they have "the way" and to follow them and most of them holding out eternal torment as punishment if you don't agree with what they say.

In the old testament it was the people who exalted themselves to the "heavens" and were brought down to "hell" they put themselves into positions of power and and were be deposed of that power.

Jesus said that his disciples were not to lord it over each other.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Why should God restore Him? God's sovereign will, Satan made His decision

I don't know but scripture says God made Satan perfect.

What scripture says that Satan was made perfect?

Thank you I Read it. You provided it in another thread which is what prompted me to start this thread. It was interesting but there were a lot of conjecture based on vague scripture. There is nothing clear cut that Satan will be reconciled.

The idea that Satan was an angel created perfect and fell taking a third of the other angels with him does not seem clear cut either and is based on conjecture and vague scripture.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM

170 posts, read 199,197 times
Colossians teaches that God created all things [it is not speaking about persons] visible and invisible whether thrones or dominions and that He will reconcile all things to Himself. The thrones and dominions not the present occupiers of them who have usurped them, they are the hosts of spiritual wickedness in the high places of the earth and they rule by decieving mankind through false religion and false doctrines and philosophies and by surpressing the truth. It will not be a matter of cruelty when God punishes them but a matter of judgement, God loathes them with a loathing and so should we.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Colossians teaches that God created all things [it is not speaking about persons] visible and invisible whether thrones or dominions and that He will reconcile all things to Himself
I agree. God bless.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I believe those heavenly places are not "spiritual" places -could it be those religious authority that tells the masses what to believe and how to "worship" like the catholic church in the dark ages and the mess of denominations and sects that we have now, each saying they have "the way" and to follow them and most of them holding out eternal torment as punishment if you don't agree with what they say.

In the old testament it was the people who exalted themselves to the "heavens" and were brought down to "hell" they put themselves into positions of power and and were be deposed of that power.

Jesus said that his disciples were not to lord it over each other
Thanks for sharing, Meerkat. When Paul says we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, this leads me to the conclusion that these are rulers, forces, powers that are not of the earth, but thanks again for sharing. God bless.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
The idea that Satan was an angel created perfect and fell taking a third of the other angels with him does not seem clear cut either and is based on conjecture and vague scripture.
I agree with this, Meerkat. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity