Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,401,363 times

Advertisements

Luvvarkanas what i am saying is you cannot take scripture just quote it at people, the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life.

When Jesus used the scripture He was not quoting it at folk and condemning them which is precisely how the scribes and pharisees used the OT writings.

It is not our place to use the word to judge and condemn folk with it.

If you do not know the Author of the scriptures , you will handle the word of God in like manner as the scribes and pharisees.

Lifting yourself up while condemning ordinary folk like you and i.

Hope this helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:46 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,595,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Since when did Jesus go around narrating the scriptures, like the bible on tape . He was the scripture . He wasn't a bible basher quoting the word at folk . He was and is the revelation of God.

This is exactly what the scribes and pharisees were doing . Using the word to judge by quoting them at us regular folk .

You can't pull your ox out the ditch it's the sabbath , you can't do this you can't do that, it says this it says that .

Who gave us the authority to Lord scripture of anyone ?.

Your kidding right? How many times did you read Jesus say, "It is written", "have you not read scripture"

Pcamp just admit you don't like that passage because it conflicts with your belief instead you accuse people of judging. All Verna Perry did was post a passage, if you have a beef take it up with the author, God

Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,719,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Your kidding right? How many times did you hear, "It is written", "have you not read scripture"

Pcamp just admit you don't like that passage because it conflicts with your belief instead you accuse people of judging. All Verna Perry did was post a passaage, if you have a beef take it up with author, God
Amen....

And it was Jesus who was always quoting the scripture at the Pharisees....

Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Luvvarkanas what i am saying is you cannot take scripture just quote it at people, the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life.

When Jesus used the scripture He was not quoting it at folk and condemning them which is precisely how the scribes and pharisees used the OT writings.

It is not our place to use the word to judge and condemn folk with it.

If you do not know the Author of the scriptures , you will handle the word of God in like manner as the scribes and pharisees.

Lifting yourself up while condemning ordinary folk like you and i.

Hope this helped.

(2 Timothy 3:16)
16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

No one is judging or condemning. She is just quoting scripture.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Your kidding right? How many times did you hear, "It is written", "have you not read scripture"

Pcamp just admit you don't like that passage because it conflicts with your belief instead you accuse people of judging. All Verna Perry did was post a passaage, if you have a beef take it up with author, God
Fundy for your information i agree with the quoted scripture in it's entirety.

Not once am i denying Jesus used scripture , what i am saying is how he applied it.

The only time he ever spoke the word sternly was to the scribes and pharisees .

Fundy you have this habit of putting words into my mouth that i have not said . Read what i said again.

Again it is obvious i am not saying what you are trying to make out i said.

I am talking about taking the written word and bible bashing with it.

Again the LETTER KILLETH BUT THE SPIRIT GIVETH LIFE.

Jesus spoke the word by the spirit , tradition speaks it without the spirit.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM

257 posts, read 445,015 times
JESUS CHRIST is the Wisdom of GOD. Does anybody know where that fact is told in the New Testament? He is also the Salvation from GOD. He is also the Righteousness of GOD.

So when Wisdom speakes in the book of Proverbs, JESUS CHRIST is speaking! And as JESUS CHRIST has said, "Heaven and Earth will pass away, but My Words will never pass away."

So Verna has none nothing wrong. She is a Christian who knows that all the people in the world need to know about the Wisdom from GOD. It involves love for ones' neighbor. Instead of going around hurting others, which is the way of the lost, she is trying to do good to her neighbors.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,719,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
JESUS CHRIST is the Wisdom of GOD. Does anybody know where that fact is told in the New Testament? He is also the Salvation from GOD. He is also the Righteousness of GOD.

So when Wisdom speakes in the book of Proverbs, JESUS CHRIST is speaking! And as JESUS CHRIST has said, "Heaven and Earth will pass away, but My Words will never pass away."

So Verna has none nothing wrong. She is a Christian who knows that all the people in the world need to know about the Wisdom from GOD. It involves love for ones' neighbor. Instead of going around hurting others, which is the way of the lost, she is trying to do good to her neighbors.
Amen....Praise the Lord!!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Fundy foror your information i agree with the quoted scripture in it's entirety.

Not once am i denying Jesus used scripture , what i am saying is how he applied it.

The only time he ever spoke the word sternly was to the scribes and pharisees .

Fundy you have this habit of putting words into my moutrh i have not said . Read what i said again.

Again it is obvious i am not saying what you are trying to make out i said.

I am talking about taking the written word and bible bashing with it.

Again the LETTER KILLETH BUT THE SPIRIT GIVETH LIFE.

Jesus spoke the word by the spirit , tradition speaks it without the spirit.
I am so tired of that being used ion the wrong context. First as far as I like to put words in your mouth, I will let the others be the judge of that. Second; as far as the Pharisees? Jesus was not only talking to them but to everyone who listened, it was not just the scribes and Pharisees, Some of them were false prophets, who had no love for God but for themselves and their money, they were hypocrites who distorted the word of God. Jesus spoke pretty harshly on the Sermon on the mount.

So I will be careful who you lay a charge on one of your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ but you are going to say, you didn't say that either?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
(2 Timothy 3:16)
16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

No one is judging or condemning. She is just quoting scripture.

Did i say she was ? . Actually i was in agreement with effie and responding to HK's response to him so stop twisting my words

Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I am so tired of that being used ion the wrong context. First as far as I like to put words in your mouth, I will let the others be the judge of that. Second; as far as the Pharisees? Jesus was not only talking to them but to everyone who listened, it was not just the scribes and Pharisees, Some of them were false prophets, who had no love for God but for themselves and their money, they were hypocrites who distorted the word of God. Jesus spoke pretty harshly on the Sermon on the mount.

So I will be careful who you lay a charge on one of your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ but you are going to say, you didn't say that either?
I am perfectly happy to let people judge what i am saying . When i use the term scribes and pharisees i suppose i should add the saducees as well as all other religious sects at that time including the priests and high priests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity