Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,710,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Luvvarkanas what i am saying is you cannot take scripture just quote it at people, the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life.

When Jesus used the scripture He was not quoting it at folk and condemning them which is precisely how the scribes and pharisees used the OT writings.

It is not our place to use the word to judge and condemn folk with it.

If you do not know the Author of the scriptures , you will handle the word of God in like manner as the scribes and pharisees.

Lifting yourself up while condemning ordinary folk like you and i.

Hope this helped.
You mean like this..

Post #23 //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...onement-3.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
(2 Timothy 3:16)
16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

No one is judging or condemning. She is just quoting scripture.

You know what Fundy i am total agreement with you regarding this scripture when it is taken in context with the previous verse and the following verse

15and that from a child thou hast known the sacred letters, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation, through faith which [is] in Christ Jesus.

16Every scripture [is] divinely inspired, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; 17that the man of God may be complete, fully fitted to every good work

When i am seeking the Lord through HIS word he teaches me, convicts me ,which by the way causes me to repent , which you happen to believe it's only a one time thing when you first believe,it corrects me . and instructs me in His righteousness.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,202,490 times
Jesus would quote scripture, but then He would explain to them how He was the life, the fulfillment of those words. I think there's a lot of misunderstanding among us on this forum who trust Jesus for salvation, but some have found rest, others not.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:34 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,584,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Jesus would quote scripture, but then He would explain to them how He was the life, the fulfillment of those words. I think there's a lot of misunderstanding among us on this forum who trust Jesus for salvation, but some have found rest, others not.
I have no clue what is the different, Jesus still quoted scripture furthermore what is this misunderstanding and what exactly is your definition of rest?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,202,490 times
Quote:
I have no clue what is the different, Jesus still quoted scripture furthermore what is this misunderstanding and what exactly is your definition of rest?
That like pcamps is trying to say, that he would further define scripture by saying that in Me you'll find life (John 5:39).

Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,584,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You know what Fundy i am total agreement with you regarding this scripture when it is taken in context with the previous verse and the following verse

15and that from a child thou hast known the sacred letters, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation, through faith which [is] in Christ Jesus.

16Every scripture [is] divinely inspired, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; 17that the man of God may be complete, fully fitted to every good work

When i am seeking the Lord through HIS word he teaches me, convicts me ,which by the way causes me to repent , which you happen to believe it's only a one time thing when you first believe,it corrects me . and instructs me in His righteousness.
It's not what I believe, repent means "change mind". Are you changing your mind over and over again? you are attaching the wrong word to the situation.

Please find a church

Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
It's not what I believe, repent means "change mind". Are you changing your mind over and over again? you are attaching the wrong word to the situation.

Please find a church
So what was it you exactly repented from initially ?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,671,640 times
Default Wisdom's Invitation...

Wisdom has built her house;
...she has carved its seven coloumns.
She has prepared a great banquet,
...mixed the wines, and set the table.
She has sent her servants to invite everyone to come.
...She calls out from the heights overlooking the city.
"Come in with me," she urges the simple.
...To those who lack good judgement, she says,
"Come, eat my food,
...and drink the wine I have mixed.
Leave your simple ways behind, and begin to live;
...Learn to use good judgement."

Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in
......return.
...Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt.
So, don't bother correcting mockers;
...they will only hate you.
But correct the wise,
...and they will love you.
Instruct the wise,
...and they will be even wiser.
Teach the righteous,
...and they will learn even more.

~*~Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.~*~
...Knowledge of the Holy One results in good
......judgement.
Wisdom will multiply your days.
...and add years to your life.
If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit.
...If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer.

Proverbs 9:1-12.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,710,956 times
Love the Proverbs....
Chapter 9:1-12
Wisdom's house is sound and well built. Seven represents perfection. It will not fall (Matt. 7:24-27). Both wisdom and folly make a public call from high places (vv.14-15). But there is no deception or secretiveness behind the call from wisdom.
Wisdom and folly issue similar calls (vv.14-16). Both profess to help a young person "grow up" But wisdom brings to maturity while folly deterorates life. The one calls for open commitment, the other offers secret pleasures at no cost (v.17).
The scoffer mocks the very principles of morality. He cannot be instructed and hurls his shame back upon the one who would correct him. The wise man accepts correction and grows wiser.
The fear of the Lord is living in the light of God's commands is health, it prolongs the lives of many. Wisdom gives long life because in Proverbs wisdom means living as God commands us.
As folly destroys its follower, so wisdom benefits the wise you are wise for your own profit.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,776,838 times
Ok, pcamps, let me see if I'm understanding you before I go any further....is this what you are saying?......That you believe Jesus only quoted scriptures to correct Pharisaical-type people, but not to the common people (would that correspond to unsaved people now?), and that we should not do it either except in that type of situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity