Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times

Advertisements

I have been praying for a brother in here who is feeling a spirit coming over Him. He has been thrown in a world of doubt, a doubt that all of us fall into- A doubt about who we are as Christians; what we've become ;if God is proud of what we are doing. The Bible was not kidding when it said, the road to Heaven is narrow. This road is so narrow that you would have to be of absolute perfection to stay on it at all times rather than slipping into a ditch. We in this room see a problem "ditch" we try to address it but in addressing it we go off into our own ditch as well.

Ditches in Theology

Problem-
"Antinomianism" People who just feel it's love, love, love, love, love grace, grace, grace, grace, grace. It is grace but the Law was in affect in the old testament and God's moral law is still in affect today as a school master, as a mirror, shutting every mouth, bringing the whole world guilty to the Lord; as a curb and a guide. The law is good and we want to fight against just, grace, grace , grace alone
Ditch-Fighting against that we start to address God as punishing and all He becomes is wrath and damnation. He's just a wrathful God and in addressing antinomianism God starts to lose the opposite, the love part and the grace part.

Problem- "emergent mysticism" because it's just all gobilly goop, nothing making sense, no truth and just feeling God
Ditch- Fighting against that we end up in the ditch of no feelings, we appear cold and heartless

Problem-"Theology assault" Some one is going after the doctrine of justification, muddying the truth, twisting scripture
Ditch- Fighting against that we become territorial about our big doctrines and all of a sudden theology becomes head knowledge only in that it is stuff we talk about and show off our knowledge.

Problem-"Casual worship"- loosy goosy, a low view of God, forgetting this is our creator;our God and we insult Him by comparing Him to Sex God or God is my husband, no reverence and honor
Ditch- Fighting against that we fall into the ditch of dry worship, in our high view of God, things become kind of dead, kind of flat, there is no emotion nor is there a sense that God is transcended or near

Every person in this forum including I have fallen into these ditches so how do we avoid these ditches? by understanding the right role of the Law and the right role of the gospel. To preach the law like nobody's business, drive people to the ground to help them understand the terror of the Lord and then there's the gospel, the cross the amazing agape love of God so if we are preaching the law then it elevates the cross and by preaching both we stay out of ditches and you find the right balance of law and grace

The Law helps us fear God and the gospel helps us love God.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-29-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
I see and feel the Spirit moving in those who really love the Lord. It's evident in your posts, Fundie, in the last few weeks. God dealt with me, and now He is dealing with you and HotinAZ. We will see more evidence of this in the coming days, weeks and months as we draw closer to Jesus' return.

He is perfecting His Saints, removing the veils, softening hearts and minds and revealing to us how we should proceed. Removing legalistic mindsets, and in it's place He is making us like Him, the truth. The one truth.

Those hearts who love Jesus Christ are known by Him, and those blinded by false doctrine and the confusion of manmade beliefs and legalism will have their eyes opened. It will be a profound experience just like it was for me. Our Savior is preparing His true flock. Those who truly would give up everything to follow Him at any cost.

I'm so excited by this post and HotinAZ's post.....it is confirmation of His imminent return, and our imminent duty to spread the gospel in it's purest, loving form because that is what will draw the lost to Him and cause them to want what we have.

Hallelujah and Amen!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I see and feel the Spirit moving in those who really love the Lord. It's evident in your posts, Fundie, in the last few weeks. God dealt with me, and now He is dealing with you and HotinAZ. We will see more evidence of this in the coming days, weeks and months as we draw closer to Jesus' return.

He is perfecting His Saints, removing the veils, softening hearts and minds and revealing to us how we should proceed. Removing legalistic mindsets, and in it's place He is making us like Him, the truth. The one truth.

Those hearts who love Jesus Christ are known by Him, and those blinded by false doctrine and the confusion of manmade beliefs and legalism will have their eyes opened. It will be a profound experience just like it was for me. Our Savior is preparing His true flock. Those who truly would give up everything to follow Him at any cost.

I'm so excited by this post and HotinAZ's post.....it is confirmation of His imminent return, and our imminent duty to spread the gospel in it's purest, loving form because that is what will draw the lost to Him and cause them to want what we have.

Hallelujah and Amen!!!!

To you DayoftheLord, who stands so boldly for Him. Bless.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM

342 posts, read 540,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have been praying for a brother in here who is feeling a spirit coming over Him. He has been thrown in a world of doubt, a doubt that all of us fall into- A doubt about who we are as Christians; what we've become ;if God is proud of what we are doing. The Bible was not kidding when it said, the road to Heaven is narrow. This road is so narrow that you would have to be of absolute perfection to stay on it at all times rather than slipping into a ditch. We in this room see a problem "ditch" we try to address it but in addressing it we go off into our own ditch as well.

Ditches in Theology

Problem-"Antinomianism" People who just feel it's love, love, love, love, love grace, grace, grace, grace, grace. It is grace but the Law was in affect in the old testament and God's moral law is still in affect today as a school master, as a mirror, shutting every mouth, bringing the whole world guilty to the Lord; as a curb and a guide. The law is good and we want to fight against just, grace, grace , grace alone
Ditch-Fighting against that we start to address God as punishing and all He becomes is wrath and damnation. He's just a wrathful God and in addressing antinomianism God starts to lose the opposite, the love part and the grace part.

Problem- "emergent mysticism" because it's just all gobilly goop, nothing making sense, no truth and just feeling God
Ditch- Fighting against that we end up in the ditch of no feelings, we appear cold and heartless

Problem-"Theology assault" Some one is going after the doctrine of justification, muddying the truth, twisting scripture
Ditch- Fighting against that we become territorial about our big doctrines and all of a sudden theology becomes head knowledge only in that it is stuff we talk about and show off our knowledge.

Problem-"Casual worship"- loosy goosy, a low view of God, forgetting this is our creator;our God and we insult Him by comparing Him to Sex God or God is my husband, no reverence and honor
Ditch- Fighting against that we fall into the ditch of dry worship, in our high view of God, things become kind of dead, kind of flat, there is no emotion nor is there a sense that God is transcended or near

Every person in this forum including I have fallen into these ditches so how do we avoid these ditches? by understanding the right role of the Law and the right role of the gospel. To preach the law like nobody's business, drive people to the ground to help them understand the terror of the Lord and then there's the gospel, the cross the amazing agape love of God so if we are preaching the law then it elevates the cross and by preaching both we stay out of ditches and you find the right balance of law and grace

God bless you, Fundy......Great Post

Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,671 times
I am so glad to see us all working to be more humble so we can hear the lord.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:46 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The problem that seems to escape the hardcore legalistic OBEYERS of God' Laws is perhaps too subtle that it escapes them . . . and they do not get the point about why Love of God and each other are the primary commandments. The need to OBEY implies that there is within the obedient one a desire to do otherwise . . . that's why they need to OBEY and overcome it . . . like compliant pets fearing retribution for not obeying. When you truly Love and hold Jesus and the holy spirit in your heart . . . the desire to do that which would disappoint Jesus is NOT very strong! The real motivation from Love is righteousness and it is more powerful than the other desires. The constant harangue about OBEY, OBEY is an insult to the developed spirit in Christ . . . it treats us as "pets" obeying a master for fear of consequences . . . rather than children maturing and growing in Christ's Love.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-29-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 02:25 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The problem that seems to escape the hardcore legalistic OBEYERS of God' Laws is perhaps too subtle that it escapes them . . . and they do not get the point about why Love of God and each other are the primary commandments. The need to OBEY implies that there is within the obedient one a desire to do otherwise . . . that's why they need to OBEY and overcome it . . . like compliant pets fearing retribution for not obeying. When you truly Love and hold Jesus and the holy spirit in your heart . . . the desire to do that which would disappoint Jesus is NOT very strong! The real motivation from Love is righteousness and it is more powerful than the other desires. The constant harangue about OBEY, OBEY is an insult to the developed spirit in Christ . . . it treats us as "pets" obeying a master for fear of consequences . . . rather than children maturing and growing in Christ's Love.
But if someone is caught in say...Adultry, do we allow them to justify that sin and continue in it and even say that God blesses their adulterous union? What of the couple living in sin, not married but fornicating. Do we allow this couple to lead the youth group? What about the gossip that is spreading lies about other couples because they are jealous of them, should this gossip be a sunday school teacher? All are welcome into the Church building, but they must become obedient to become welcome into the Church body. How do we make these determinations?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:30 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,113 times
Fundamentalist, I love your post. I've had to read it so many times I've lost count. You are right that we've all fallen into a ditch...some of us more than others. I'm a faller.

No matter what, I pray. The only One that can help me in these times is the Father. Pray.

Whomever you are praying for, I will be praying for also.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!

I think there are some that are father along in their journeys than maybe others. For John wrote:

1Jo 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
But if someone is caught in say...Adultry, do we allow them to justify that sin and continue in it and even say that God blesses their adulterous union? What of the couple living in sin, not married but fornicating. Do we allow this couple to lead the youth group? What about the gossip that is spreading lies about other couples because they are jealous of them, should this gossip be a sunday school teacher? All are welcome into the Church building, but they must become obedient to become welcome into the Church body. How do we make these determinations?
If you are concerned about official positions in whatever church you participate in . . . of course the collective has the right to establish the rules. When you are talking about informal relationships among the members . . . the collective and each individual member has a right to make their view of certain things perfectly clear to all in witness. BUT . . . you are NOT free to investigate the private lives of the members, gossip about them, spy on them, or otherwise stick your righteous noses in their private lives. They will get the word from the public witness without being singled out for your judgment and the church's condemnation. That is not for us to judge . . . it is between them, Jesus and the holy spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity