Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,109,274 times

Advertisements

My views of the whole Evolution/Genesis debate are:

That I don't have a problem with evolution at all.
I don't think it stands against my Holy Bible in any way at all.
That the teachings of evolution give us a very good eyewitness to the early history of life on this world.
That in many ways, the book of Genesis and the teachings of evolution are talking about the same history.
The point of view of the bible is one of Faith, and that the text deals with the role of God in His creation.
The point of view of evolution is one of just the listing of different events in history.

I don't see the two works as in any type of contradiction with each other, rather I see them as both helping the modern reader become informed as to what life as like long ago and how we come to be the people we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,583,497 times
To say that God didn't create the world in 6 days as the bible says when in actuality He could have created in 6 seconds is robbing God of His glory

Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,222,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
To say that God didn't create the world in 6 days as the bible says when in actuality He could have created in 6 seconds is robbing God of His glory
And to take such a literal interpretation of a passage where the time periods are so vague is putting words in God's mouth, insulting him greatly.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And to take such a literal interpretation of a passage where the time periods are so vague is putting words in God's mouth, insulting him greatly.
LOL....hnsq...Should I take that last post towards me LITERALLY?! I wonder if God spoke to people literally. How else would God want us to interpret Him?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 07-01-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 AM

what is a "day"?

There is no single meaning to the term "Day"

The meaning we give the term is up to us and the context where the term is used.
And there are times when a word can have more than one meaning in play at the same time.

Thus, there is no objection to the use of the term "Day" to be both a small amount of time and an unending amount of time in the single use of the term in the text.

So there is nothing there to bicker about with the Texts use of the term...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM

Take the rise of modern man as taught to us in evolution.
If you trace the human family tree back far enough and guess where you end up at?

The same place the Bible tells you we all started out as.....

The "Dust" of the very earth itself...

Humans, for all our cleverness and toys is nothing more than a bit of the planet earth come to life....and nothing more than that...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 AM

There are times in the bible where we are reading about one event in history, yet in the back of our mind we know that the words were are reading are actually about something totally different.

The Genesis story has many such moments where what we find written on the page is not actually what we know the work is talking about.

The story of the snake striking the heel and getting his head crushed is one such moment.
Although the words we read seem to be just talking about one snake getting killed, we know from the light of the New testament that the Genesis account is about a far greater matter...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
what is a "day"?

There is no single meaning to the term "Day"

The meaning we give the term is up to us and the context where the term is used.
And there are times when a word can have more than one meaning in play at the same time.

Thus, there is no objection to the use of the term "Day" to be both a small amount of time and an unending amount of time in the single use of the term in the text.

So there is nothing there to bicker about with the Texts use of the term...
"Yoem" means day, one day and one night (24-hours) although it can mean a longer period of time like, back in my Grandfather's "day" but in no way does it means thousands or even millions of years furthermore and this is why the bible is supernaturally wonderful, let's look at the passage,

(Genesis 1:5–2:2)

5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Notice it has numbers in front of the days, first day, second day, third day-clearly pointing to 6 literal days.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"Yoem" means day, one day and one night .
Ever notice that the word "day" has a different meaning in it's first use in the Bible?....LOL

Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,957,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
My views of the whole Evolution/Genesis debate are:

That I don't have a problem with evolution at all.
I don't think it stands against my Holy Bible in any way at all.
That the teachings of evolution give us a very good eyewitness to the early history of life on this world.
That in many ways, the book of Genesis and the teachings of evolution are talking about the same history.
The point of view of the bible is one of Faith, and that the text deals with the role of God in His creation.
The point of view of evolution is one of just the listing of different events in history.

I don't see the two works as in any type of contradiction with each other, rather I see them as both helping the modern reader become informed as to what life as like long ago and how we come to be the people we are.

My view is that we are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity